Sodlier Exoskeleton soon to be Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodlier Exoskeleton soon to be Reality

UC Berkeley robot-makers say they've developed a real-life, powered exoskeleton, to make it easier for soldiers to carry their super-heavy packs. According to Jane's, the artificial legs could let special forces haul more than 200 pounds worth of gear into battle.

Field testing starts next year. But the Pentagon-funded project is going to be shown off at the DarpaTech conference in Anaheim, which begins Tuesday.

Better wrap thoose things in Jointed Peices of Kevlar or they will stop working awfully quick.
    Last edited by Praxus; 08 Mar 04,, 23:20.

I'm beginning to cry as I looked at this.
    Attached Files

Comment

That just looks WIERD.

Wonder how good they work submerged in swamp muck for 6 hours...

Comment

if they need to carry all that stuff, why don't they use vehicles such as APCs or ATVs. It is cheaper and easier to maintain. I mean if you have to fight, you just grab what you need the most and fight.

The only reason that I could think of for the exoskeleton to make sense if it supports an armour that can withstand the firepower of a tank and requires an exoskeleton to support the frame and allow soldiers to make natural movements almost.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
          That just looks WIERD.

Wonder how good they work submerged in swamp muck for 6 hours...
          I don't know about that, but I can make a good guess about how well they work when their batteries run out of juice.

Comment

I don't even want to imagine kissing mud with 200lbs on my back.

Comment

Admitedly, it looks a little odd. I doubt I'd trust the thing with my life.

But it has potential.

Remember that nobody thought much of the first attempts at gunpowder based artillery. It had lors of flaws, not the least of which was that it probably was as deadly to the gunners as to the enemy. But look where we are today.

A generation or two hence, soldiers may be wearing complete exo's with powerful energy weapons. (Ever played Armoured Core on the PS/2?)

All that we really lack is good batteries, and were REAL close to a breakthrough there.
              sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Personal Armour

Have you all read "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlein
                The Movie was garbage compared to the book which goes into great detail about armoured battle suit. He was a U.S.
                Marine.
                Yes sir, very much so sir. Obviously insane.

Comment

No, but i've been meaning to.

Comment

Whoever wrote that book is stupid, they had absolutely no fire support. They could have established an LZ brought in Howitzers and Mortars and CAS aircraft for fire Support. Everytime the bugs mass you open up with everything. Then of course there was no APC's or TANKS which would have been invulrable against hte bugs except for the real big ass blaster ones.

If I were incharge the war would be over in 50 days, lol.

:taynk :taynk
                    Last edited by Praxus; 29 Mar 04,, 18:34.

Comment

Yeah, travel halfway across the galaxy and dont bring tanks or arty(not even mortars for christs sakes)?

WTF is THAT all about?

LOL

They didn't even have any crappy strykers. ;)

Comment

Starship Troopers

Yeah, the tactics were pure sci-fi but the orbital insertion was fantastic and the individual capabilties the suit gave to the
                        trooper was great. Those mini tactical nukes!!
                        Some lunatic up in Canada has designed a bear suit
                        that can withstand a grizzly bear attack!

Comment

Re: Starship Troopers

Originally posted by coldharvest
                          Yeah, the tactics were pure sci-fi but the orbital insertion was fantastic and the individual capabilties the suit gave to the
                          trooper was great. Those mini tactical nukes!!
                          Some lunatic up in Canada has designed a bear suit
                          that can withstand a grizzly bear attack!
                          I thought it was for Polar Bears. In any case, I wish the bears to have a nice lunch. I've seen those things. Take a look at the size of your chest. That's its paw size.

STARSHIP TROOPERS is a very strongly RECOMMENDED read (ie, you better read it if you want to pass the course) at future warfare at the pltn level. Heinlein didn't go into indirect fire because that would take away from the pltn lvl combat from which he was concentrating on.

Comment

Bearsuit Man

In the test I saw he made a 2x4 "wall" and strapped it to
                            a 1/2 ton truck then had his (so called) buddies drive it into him at 40 klicks.
                            Sweet Enola Gay! He must have flown 45 ,maybe 50 feet.
                            Damned if he didn't live.
                            Those proto-type suits don't look like they'd be much fun in a spruce bog.
                            I wonder how much of a weapons platform it would make?

Comment

I've seen those. But there's a big difference in between hit with blunt force and being torn apart by claws and teeth.

Comment

Working...
                              X