Castro: 'I Will Die Fighting' if U.S. Invades Cuba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castro: 'I Will Die Fighting' if U.S. Invades Cuba

Couldnt decide whether to put it here or in the American Military Issues forum, so I chose this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Castro: 'I Will Die Fighting' if U.S. Invades Cuba

By Anthony Boadle

HAVANA (Reuters) - Cuban President Fidel Castro (news - web sites) vowed on Friday to die fighting "with a gun in my hand" if the United States invaded Cuba to overthrow his communist government.

Reuters Photo

"I don't care how I die, but for sure, if they invade us, I will die fighting," the 77-year-old leader said at a meeting of anti-free trade activists from across the hemisphere.

Castro, the target of countless CIA (news - web sites) assassination attempts in the 1960s, called on the Bush administration to clarify to the world its policy was on assassinating foreign leaders.

In Miami, a senior U.S. government official dismissed Castro's comments as absurd.

"It's an absurd declaration, as usual. According to Fidel Castro, he's going to die fighting, probably he's going to die talking," said Roger Noriega, assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere affairs. Noriega was speaking to journalists while attending a conference on Latin America.

Earlier this month, Bush Administration officials accused Cuba of joining forces with Venezuela's leftist government to destabilize democratic governments in Latin America.

President Bush (news - web sites) last year named a commission to speed up a post-Castro transition to democratic rule in Cuba, aggravating fears in Havana that Cuba could be the next on Bush's list for a regime change after Iraq (news - web sites).

"We don't want a conflict, but we will not give an inch on our principles," Castro said in a rambling five-and-a-half-hour speech.

Castro said Cuba was prepared to resist invasion, with "hundreds of thousands" of soldiers ready to defend the island with guerrilla tactics he had used in the Sierra Maestra mountains to defeat a dictator's army and seize power in 1959.

He said instructions have been given in the case he were to die in a surgical strike.

"This nation will never surrender. ... We have taken all the measures. Everyone knows what to do," Castro said.

Western diplomats said Cuban authorities were preparing the population for a possible invasion with training drills.

A U.S. presidential directive from the 1970s bans the assassination of foreign leaders, but the Bush Administration appeared to waive the ban when it made clear that Iraq's Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) was to be considered a target before last year's invasion.

Castro spoke to more than 1,000 activists, from Andean Indians and landless Brazilians to Canadian postal workers, who met in Havana to plan protests against the U.S.-backed Free Trade Area of the Americas.

(Additional reporting by Maria Jose Gonzalez in Miami)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nm/cuba_usa_dc

----------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL, hes just saying that cause he knows its impossible to kill him, the CIA has tried so often he must have a feeling of invincibility by now.

I'd already be impressed if he manages to hold a gun properly, at his age...

Comment

Where Have We Heard That Before

Castro steals line from Hussein !

These dictators are hillarious. they think they will never be removed from power so they boast such claims only to cower when the moment of truth finaaly finds them (wherever they hide !) Look out Osama you're next !
      J.R.
      Listen to the Talk Show America Show Live Mon-Fri 4-5 PM EST or 24/7 (Recorded) [url http://www.talkshowamerica.com] TALK SHOW AMERICA [/url]

Comment

Hilarious or otherwise, he has held out. So many assassination attempts by the CIA and the Bay of Pigs, and biological attacks on their crops. In the event he was not popular he would have gone the Haitian way. So there is something in him. I don't subscribe to his philosophy, but then I don't grude the Cubans if they do. I don't live there.

A small Nation and still going strong with sanctions and their benefactor Russia in dire straits and what have you.

Excellent education and health care. Better than anywhere else in the world. That's what the BBC showed just today in the feature "Holidays in the Axis of Evil".

90 miles away, many attempts and yet they ahve not been cowed down or 'liberated'!

As far as Osama is concerned, he has been told to look out for a very long time. He is still at large and having visions of an Islamic world. Assinine of him but then he must be liberated from living in the Dark Ages and sent to meet his God, by whom he swears, morning, noon and night. It shows his state of intellect to insist on applying Medieval rules to modern times. How idiotic can such religious heads be?

One must differentiate in the priorities to sort out dictators from self appointed religious freaks like Osama.
        Last edited by Ray; 21 Feb 04,, 19:27.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Better than anywhere else in the world.
          You dont actually believe that do you?

Before the USSR colapsed they had a GOOD one, but even then, not the best in the world. Now health care is shit and education is not great.

Comment

Ray sounds senile, lol

By the way, BBC eh? Doesn't surprise me... fucking BBCCCP.

Comment

"Excellent education and health care. Better than anywhere else in the world. That's what the BBC showed just today in the feature "Holidays in the Axis of Evil"."

BBC....go figure......I've never seen anything on that news agency that wasn't Anti-American yet. They join CBC as the least watched news agency for me.
              Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Actually, I have not been to Cuba and so I cannot authenticate what BBC reported.

However, I have seen many reports on Cuba even on the National Geographic and Discovery channels. They too have praised the health and education out there in Cuba as one of the best.

As far as the attempts on Castro is concerned, it is legend now. The man survived all. Even his cigar puffing does not ruin his health!

I also marvel as to how Cuba can still go strong with all the sanctions. It should have crippled them long ago as it would any other nation. But Cuba like Castro survives. The people should have revolted and yet they havent. The whole scene is so paradoxical.

Since my country has no quibbles with Cuba, I am constrained not to see Cuba with coloured vision. However, I respect your views on Cuba since that would be natural towards an adversary who is cocking the snoot all the time and getting away!

Rhetorics are a politicians birthright. Blair, Bush, Putim, Saddam, Vajpayee, and every other man whose career depends on the people have to 'motivate' their flock now and then with hollow but appealing rhetorics. And so all this about dying and all that should be taken with a pinch of salt. Even Saddam was ready to die for his country. But the poor man is now in a dishevelled state rotting in a prison. Osama is the only one who ishaving the last laugh unfortunately, but I am sure living in some nondescript cavern high in the mountains is no luxury.
                Last edited by Ray; 22 Feb 04,, 05:32.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                  90 miles away, many attempts and yet they ahve not been cowed down or 'liberated'!
                  And that sux, the Cubans I know don't paint as lovely a picture as the BBC does.
                  No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                  I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                  even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                  He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Confed,

Do let me know what Cuban that you DO KNOW have to tell about Cuba. That will help.

I know of Indians who live in ghetto like apartments in the US and come home here and tell us how wonderfuly they are living.

The just loll around and get all the comforts with servants and what have you out here, dengierate the sitiution out here and then return for their 'holidays' or vacation if you wish.

I don't beleive anyone who has left his shores and live like urchins and then come home to exaggerate the wonders of the US.

S9o long as the Dollar is strong it is OK. If the Dollar falls, then they will scamper home. Of course that is a farfetched dream.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

As far as i am concerned i fully expect Castro to "die fighting the Americans" and respect him for it. Regardless of your views of the man's beliefs, he has them and is prepared to die for them. That is something to be respected.

Whether he actually would die fighting is clearly another matter, and as Ray pointed out, it is largely rhetoric anyway. Despite action figures and video games, most world leaders have absolutely no inclination to go near combat once they get to office, whichever side they are on.

One crime Castro is clearly guilty of is five and a half hour speeches. :YIKES!

Regarding the BBC series, it was a two man team that decided to take a "holiday" in Iraq, Iran, Syria, North Korea and Cuba. I can't remember if there were others.

It wasn't a polticailly critical series, more a "this is what you get if you come here". It wasn't meant as some sort of poltiical critique more a holiday programme but without any glitz. However the host always pointed out when he was restricted etc.

It showed how the state controlled the media and how everywhere they went they had minders with them, people would only talk about very neutral subjects (football was a common theme, especially David Beckham) and were clearly nervous with the minders or even just the camera crews around.

However it did also try to show something from the perspective of the people that live under these regimes, who only know what they are told etc.

And it is true that Cuba had an excellent healthcare system and education system (and i fail to see by showing as much would be anti-american).
                      at

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                        Confed,

Do let me know what Cuban that you DO KNOW have to tell about Cuba. That will help.
                        This and more:
                        Human Rights violations inside of Cuba
                        Living in a police state isn't very nice, or so I hear. Granted every Cuban I've ever met, and I've met my share here in Florida, either made some daring escape or was forced onto a makeshift raft and set adrift by the government. So the info may be biased, but I'll believe them over some BBC show claiming they have the best anything, I don't even like their cigars.
                        Originally posted by Ray
                        I know of Indians who live in ghetto like apartments in the US and come home here and tell us how wonderfuly they are living.

The just loll around and get all the comforts with servants and what have you out here, dengierate the sitiution out here and then return for their 'holidays' or vacation if you wish.

I don't beleive anyone who has left his shores and live like urchins and then come home to exaggerate the wonders of the US.

S9o long as the Dollar is strong it is OK. If the Dollar falls, then they will scamper home. Of course that is a farfetched dream.
                        Hmmm... I have no idea what any of that is about. The Indians you speak of are voluntarily leaving India? The Cubans I know of didn't have that luxury, they want their homes back. Anyway, if the people you speak of are happy, who are we to judge? In fact if they're happy, I'm happy for them... If they aren't happy, I hope they find happiness soon! :)
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Confed,

I will not contest your views because you maybe right. However, on Human Rights [very clinically analysing], I don't think the US is purer than the snow on Mount Etna.

The way they thrashed that blackman in California and there were riots or even the Guantanamo Bay detenees without any legal recourse doesn't really subscribe to the saying - Put your money where your mouth is.

I don't like the Taliban at all and I don't like Saddam and I hate terrorists. Yet, they should be given a fair chance before law. Or at least, there should be some semblance of rights being protected even if they are the worst scums of humanity. This is more so from a nation that champions Human Rights and Individuals being above the state. It is out of disappointment that I say so, rather than from any 'US bashing' syndrome.

I appreciate the US for many great stuff that they symbolise, but this has been a great disappointment.
                          Last edited by Ray; 22 Feb 04,, 18:31.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                            However, on Human Rights [very clinically analysing], I don't think the US is purer than the snow on Mount Etna.
                            I agree, but I can't even start to compare Cuba to the US.

Originally posted by Ray
                            The way they thrashed that blackman in California
                            The bad guys were prosecuted, though I thought their penalties should have been more severe. Who's going to prosecute Castro, and when? It doesn't have to be the US, just somebody do it.

Originally posted by Ray
                            and there were riots
                            Sheep and thieves, nothing more, nothing less. Sorry, that's how I feel about anyone not rioting over food.

Originally posted by Ray
                            or even the Guantanamo Bay detenees without any legal recourse
                            Were the Nazis in the POW camps given legal recourse? The Guantanamo Bay detenees are getting alot more legal representation than those Nazis did. Some are being transfered out to trials, and I would assume many others will follow as they're sorted out. To me POWs have the right to sit there until the war is over, then be tried for any crimes they believe they can convict them of.

Originally posted by Ray
                            Put your money where your mouth is.
                            I do my best to, but when we're talking about countries, I could say that to anyone.

Originally posted by Ray
                            I don't like the Taliban at all and I don't like Saddam and I hate terrorists. Yet, they should be given a fair chance before law. Or at least, there should be some semblance of rights being protected even if they are the worst scums of humanity.
                            Sure they should be given all of the rights they deserve, I never have suggested differently.

Originally posted by Ray
                            This is more so from a nation that champions Human Rights and Individuals being above the state. It is out of disappointment that I say so, rather than from any 'US bashing' syndrome.
                            I don't take it as US bashing so much as trying to use US bad behavior to excuse Castro's behavior. I don't excuse either.

Originally posted by Ray
                            I appreciate the US for many great stuff that they symbolise, but this has been a great disappointment.
                            Sorry the US isn't perfect, but it's had to believe you ever really assumed it was.

Comment

Confed,

It maybe hard to believe, but there are a lot of folks around my country who feel that US is as perfect as perfect could be.

As far as Human Rights, opportunity and Liberty is concerned, the US is a role model.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X