Minnesota Somali indicted for providing material support to al Qaeda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Somali indicted for providing material support to al Qaeda

First Zacarias Moussaoui.... now another, wonder how many others there are. My own state too.

Man linked to al Qaeda indicted

(CNN) -- A Minnesota man has been indicted on charges he provided material support to al Qaeda for more than three years, the Justice Department said Wednesday.

Authorities say Mohammed Abdullah Warsame, 30, attended an al Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan at which Osama bin Laden was present.

Warsame was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis. The indictment was unsealed Wednesday after he appeared in federal court in New York and ordered held without bond pending his return to Minnesota to face the charges.

Warsame, a Canadian citizen of Somali decent, was first interviewed December 8 by FBI agents in Minneapolis and admitted his involvement in the training, according to an affidavit released Wednesday.

"During this interview Warsame admitted ... that he had also used the alias 'Abu Maryam' in connection with his attendance at a training camp at which Osama bin Laden was present in Afghanistan during 2000 and 2001," the affidavit says.

Warsame was arrested the next day and remained in federal custody in Minnesota until he was flown to New York on December 23 in response to a material witness warrant issued by a federal judge in Manhattan.

Official sources indicated Warsame may have known accused terrorist Zacarias Moussaoui, but documents do not mention Moussaoui, who faces a federal trial in Virginia on terrorism conspiracy charges in connection with the attacks of September 11, 2001. (Feds want Moussaoui case order reversed)

Moussaoui's suspicious behavior at a Minneapolis-area flight school led to his arrest a month before the September 11 attacks.

"The indictment alleges that from March 2000 and continuing through December 8, 2003, Warsame conspired to provide material support and resources to al Qaeda, a designated foreign terrorist organization," said U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger in Minneapolis.

Omar Jamal, Warsame's uncle and executive director of the Somali Justice Advocacy Center in Minneapolis, told CNN he is prepared for a lengthy process.

"We support the government in its fight against terrorism. We see this indictment as an early part of a long legal process," Jamal said when reached at his home.

Warsame had worked as a computer science tutor at Minneapolis Community Technical College, Jamal said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/01/21/te...est/index.html

30 years in the pen then send him back to Mog
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I know the feeling. Some of the Setpember 11th hijackers were holed up in Patterson, NJ prior to the attack.

And there were a handfull of FBI busts. A few members of Jamiat Al-Islami, Kashmir Militants, were training in Pennsylvania under the guise of paintball games.

Comment

Re: Minnesota Somali indicted for providing material support to al Qaeda

Originally posted by Ironman
      Warsame, a Canadian citizen
      Canada doesn't need anymore bad press here either.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

The general perception is that Canada has a very lenient immigration policy. And there's alot of truth in that. I mean, they only let in 500,000 immigrants a year. The US has 10x the population and let's in 1,000,000.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman
          The general perception is that Canada has a very lenient immigration policy. And there's alot of truth in that. I mean, they only let in 500,000 immigrants a year. The US has 10x the population and let's in 1,000,000.
          Plus a million illegal immigrants a year enter the US

Comment

Working...
          X