X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen Shot in Head at 'Haunted' House

Teen Shot in Head at 'Haunted' House
    By JoANNE VIVIANO, AP

WORTHINGTON, Ohio (Aug. 24) - Someone shot at a carload of teenage girls, critically wounding one of them, after some of them had stepped near a house that had been rumored by fellow students to be haunted, police said.

A man who lives in the house, Allen S. Davis, was arrested Wednesday in the shooting of 17-year-old Rachel Barezinsky the night before. He told reporters Wednesday from jail that he was trying to drive off trespassers and didn't intend to hurt the girls.

Barezinsky remained in critical condition Thursday at Ohio State University Medical Center, a nursing supervisor said.

Barezinsky's aunt, Tina Wedebrook, told reporters Wednesday that the girl had surgery to relieve swelling in her brain and had been able to squeeze visitors' hands, but was having trouble moving the left side of her body.

Davis' home, across from a cemetery and overgrown with trees and weeds, had a reputation among local teens for being haunted. Students at Thomas Worthington High School in suburban Columbus had been daring each other to knock on the door or go in the yard, police Lt. Doug Francis said.

Barezinsky and two of her friends got out of their car parked near the home about 10 p.m. and took a few steps onto the property, Francis said. They jumped back in when a girl still in the car sounded the horn, and they heard what they thought were firecrackers as they drove away, he said.

The girls drove around the block, and Barezinsky was struck in the head and shoulder while sitting in the car as they passed the house again, Francis said. The other girls were not injured.

Hundreds gathered on the high school football field Wednesday night for a vigil for Barezinsky, a cheerleader at the school of about 1,700 students.

Police said Davis, a self-employed nonfiction writer who lives with his 64-year-old mother, told investigators he was aiming for the car's tires.

Davis, 40, appeared before a judge Thursday on five counts of felonious assault. His bond was set at $500,000.

Davis told reporters Wednesday he had prepared the rifle after numerous instances of trespassing.

"It's really something how homeowners defend themselves and the way the laws are written, we're the ones brought up on charges while the perpetrators get little or nothing," Davis said.

Francis said Davis told investigators he had never called police about any problems with trespassers.

08/24/06 13:04 EDT

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Dumbasss.

Repeat after me old man: "IMMINENT THREAT"

Once again: "IMMINENT THREAT"

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      Dumbasss.

Repeat after me old man: "IMMINENT THREAT"

Once again: "IMMINENT THREAT"
      Agreed. Morons like this get all the press and make the rest of us look bad. He needs an ass kicking.

-dale

Comment

This happened to me just a couple of days ago right here at my house.

We have a huge lake in back of our home which did have, until recently, many geese swimming in it. I had noticed lately only 3 or 4 of them in the lake, and I just figured they were migrating off somewhere, which I thought was rather early.

Anyways, me and my 12-year old daughter was in the back yard, and I was catching up with her while she was practicing her fast-pitching. I heard a crackle noise, and turned my head just in time to see the water sploosh up in the lake right beside one of the swimming geese.

My daughter said, "what was that?" I said it sounded like a .22. I walked over looking at each of the houses around the lake to see who was shooting at the geese, when about that time the gun went off again.

I told my daughter to get inside immediately. I walked out on the dock and screamed across the lake, "hey, whose shooting?" About that time a guy goes running around the side of the house and runs inside his patio door with the gun in his hand.

I called the police, and they went around to his house, and he told them he was "shooting at squirrels." LOL I told the policeman, no....he was aiming directly across the lake where me and my daughter were standing....trying to kill the geese.

I didn't press charges, but he told the boy if it happened again, that we would make it a state case and prosecute him. The policeman said the "boy" was 25 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
          I didn't press charges, but he told the boy if it happened again, that we would make it a state case and prosecute him. The policeman said the "boy" was 25 years old.
          You should have pressed charges, IMO.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
            Nah....I feel stupid prosecuting someone over a .22.

Anyways...DNR would string his a$$ up over those geese, alot better and quicker than anyone, which is who I will call if it happens again.

Comment

Its a true shame what happened to the girl. She was just playing around but in the same case if this has happened before I cant fault the guy for having a loaded rifle to repel anybody on his property so to speak.Especially given the fact the lived next to a graveyard which in most cases is pretty isolated. Chances are by the time a home invasion occurs the police are too late and sombodys either wounded or dead. But I can fault him for aiming at the car to begin with it was a seriously dumb move and hopefully one that wont cost her life or the ability to move. On the other hand kids these days should be well aware that even a prank can be misconstrued no matter how innocent the intentions are and usually with the innocent stuck dead in the middle of it by the time its over. Life isint what it used to be its much more complicated then our days. I hope she survives it all .
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 25 Aug 06,, 19:23.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                DEFINITELY.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                  Its a true shame what happened to the girl. She was just playing around but in the same case if this has happened before I cant fault the guy for having a loaded rifle to repel anybody on his property so to speak.Especially given the fact the lived next to a graveyard which in most cases is pretty isolated. Chances are by the time a home invasion occurs the police are too late and sombodys either wounded or dead. But I can fault him for aiming at the car to begin with it was a seriously dumb move and hopefully one that wont cost her life or the ability to move. On the other hand kids these days should be well aware that even a prank can be misconstrued no matter how innocent the intentions are and usually with the innocent stuck dead in the middle of it by the time its over. Life isint what it used to be its much more complicated then our days. I hope she survives it all .
                  What he should have done was take up a barricade position in the point of a fatal funnel(like the top of a stairwell in a prone position, etc) inside his house. THAT is how you're safest if you feel a 'truder is coming for you. Hunting for the bad guy or going outside is EXTREMELY unwise from a tactical standpoint.

Comment

What he should have done was take up a barricade position in the point of a fatal funnel(like the top of a stairwell in a prone position, etc) inside his house. THAT is how you're safest if you feel a 'truder is coming for you. Hunting for the bad guy or going outside is EXTREMELY unwise from a tactical standpoint.
                    Agreed. Shooting at the car was the dumbest thing to do in this case. Even if he missed the car he still could have killed someone walking down the street so to say.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                      Nah....I feel stupid prosecuting someone over a .22.

Anyways...DNR would string his a$$ up over those geese, alot better and quicker than anyone, which is who I will call if it happens again.
                      Julie, you know as well as I do that .22LR can kill or seriously injure you or your daughter. Indiscriminate discharge of firearms such as you described is downright irresponsible.

-dale

Comment

Not to mention illegal almost everywhere.

Snipe is right (and he's a pro, folks!) - inside, call cops, take a position of cover and concealment, and wait. If he steps foot inside, well, all bets are off.

-dale

Comment

You guys are too lax with your firearms.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                            Julie, you know as well as I do that .22LR can kill or seriously injure you or your daughter. Indiscriminate discharge of firearms such as you described is downright irresponsible.

-dale
                            I know, and that's why I called the police.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                              You guys are too lax with your firearms.
                              Being too lax would have been if I had shot back across the lake.....but that would have been unfair since I do not have anything as small as a .22.

Comment

Working...
                              X