• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Gas In Milwaukee

Excitement over Milwaukee gas giveaway leads to crashes, arrests
    Associated Press

July 12, 2006, 3:50 PM CDT

MILWAUKEE -- Two vehicle crashes occurred, four people were arrested for fighting and three officers got sent to the hospital -- all over some free gasoline Wednesday.

For the most part, hundreds of drivers waited patiently for hours for about $30 worth of free gasoline from Allstate Insurance as a reward to Milwaukee for ranking high on its safe drivers list.

Some cars started lining up before midnight for the gas, and the line stretched far from the service station into a residential area, trapping some residents in their driveways Wednesday morning, said Anne E. Schwartz, Milwaukee Police Department spokeswoman.

That led to fights and arrests for disorderly conduct -- in one case, three officers got blood on them from a bloody nose, Schwartz said. They went to the hospital as a precaution.

Two minor crashes apparently occurred when some queued-up motorists tried to let friends into line, Schwartz said.

"Any time you offer free gas when it is $3 a gallon, it is not surprising people would get excited," she said.

Allstate Insurance gave away the semi-tanker truck of gasoline after Milwaukee ranked No. 1 among mid-sized cities on the company's annual best drivers list.

"Milwaukee is one of the safest cities of its size for motorists, where more than 700 residents benefited from free gas, and we believe this was successful and well-deserved recognition for Milwaukee," said Bill Mellander, director of the company's best drivers report.

Local insurance agents started pumping the gas at a Milwaukee service station at 6 a.m. The giveaway lasted a couple hours, Schwartz said.

Clarence Jefferson said he thought he'd be first in line when he got there at 4 a.m., only to find hundreds of others already ahead of him.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "It helps. Every bit is worth it."
    Free Gas

Why on earth would someone line up for four hours to get $30 of free gas?
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Whats next ?? Free guns to residents of Detroit and Philly?
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
      Whats next ?? Free guns to residents of Detroit and Philly?
      Got a dollar that says crime would drop the next week.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

This is what is known as fighting for anything that is free! ;)

Great Freedom Fighters! :)

Would have happened anywhere.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Because people sometimes don't think logically. They fail to also calculate how much money they would LOSE by obtaining the free item, whatever it was. Some could've gone to work and made $30 and then some in the time they spent to get the free gas.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
            Because people sometimes don't think logically. They fail to also calculate how much money they would LOSE by obtaining the free item, whatever it was. Some could've gone to work and made $30 and then some in the time they spent to get the free gas.
            Only the ones who get $7.50/hr or more. Of which I'm sure there were plenty. Tell people something's free and watch 'em go crazy. If everybody could remember TANSTAAFL, a lot of stupidity might be averted.
            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

I used to wake up early the day after Thanksgiving to hit the sales. Then I realized it's not worth the effort to stand in the cold, wake up early, and fight the crowd, all in the name of bargain hunting.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Also, the cars they were driving were burning fuel just sitting there idling, or every time they turned the car on after turning it off. Probably not $30 worth, but not an insignificant amount either, based on how long the wait was for each person.
                "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                  Also, the cars they were driving were burning fuel just sitting there idling, or every time they turned the car on after turning it off. Probably not $30 worth, but not an insignificant amount either, based on how long the wait was for each person.
                  But they got something for free and that is what counts, no?

People will do the most absurd things just to say they got something for free. Reminds me of "A Christmas Story" when he wins the major award - the lovely leg lamp.
                  "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                  X