High School Majors in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Majors in Florida

They are in high school. Most high school students don't even know if they want to go to calculus class, let alone what they want to "major" in. Their majors have got to change as often as their moods.

This is terrible, this idea.

Florida votes to require high school majors

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- The Florida Legislature gave final approval to a bill Thursday that requires high school students to declare a major, similar to college students.

The measure now goes to Governor Jeb Bush, who pushed the requirement as part of a sweeping education overhaul approved by the House 90-24. The Senate passed it earlier in the day 39-1.

"It's important because it'll make the high school experience more relevant for a broader range of students," Bush said. "This will give them a chance to pursue education where their interests lie. ... There still will be core curricula credits that they'll need to pass."

The bill also requires that high school students take a fourth year of math and that middle school students receive career planning instruction.

The measure originally referred to major and minor subjects, but was changed to "major areas of interest" before final passage.

"We're saying we're trying to get students to think more in terms of, 'What do I really like to do? What is my talent?"' said Senate Education Committee Chairwoman Evelyn Lynn, a Republican.

A major area of interest could include a traditional academic subject such as English, a foreign language or math, or a vocational field such as carpentry or auto repair.

The goal is to encourage students to strive for better grades and prevent them from dropping out. The majors plan was suggested by a task force of educators that examined the state's high schools.

The measure also would set up a ready-to-work program for high school students who don't plan to go to college, professional development programs for principals and special classes for struggling students.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05....ap/index.html
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

When I was in high school my major was "Looking down Eileen O'Donnel's blouse, or up Lisa Gall's skirt."

Hello?

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
      When I was in high school my major was "Looking down Eileen O'Donnel's blouse, or up Lisa Gall's skirt."

Hello?

-dale
      See? Now this is what I am talking about! This is a life experience that can really help a person out after high school.

Dale - I would be willing to be that you use that skill learned during your youth more than you have ever used geometry or trigonometry. No? :)
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I didn't figure out my major until 4 years into college.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
          See? Now this is what I am talking about! This is a life experience that can really help a person out after high school.

Dale - I would be willing to be that you use that skill learned during your youth more than you have ever used geometry or trigonometry. No? :)
          It's less of a skill than an instinct. ;)

-dale

Comment

This is the dumbest thing my Gov. has done in a long time.

Just wait till he runs for President and wants to bring this nationwide.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
              It's less of a skill than an instinct. ;)

-dale
              But it does require a certain amount of practiced skilled to be successful at it...or just really damn lucky!
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                But it does require a certain amount of practiced skilled to be successful at it...or just really damn lucky!
                The Catholic high school girl uniforms helped.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape
                  This is the dumbest thing my Gov. has done in a long time.

Just wait till he runs for President and wants to bring this nationwide.
                  No more bushes........please.

Comment

I dont know if i should answer this or not, anyways i think that american education needs to be mended. i used to help people with their calculus course while i was in school doing masters, there where times when i had to explain 1+1=2(if ever i missed that step while teaching math).
                    but about deciding your major even before you know what your strong point is ridiculous(i only figured that i love math when i was in my 8th grade, bcos i had a very good teacher who loved to teach)

Comment

Originally posted by raj
                      I dont know if i should answer this or not, anyways i think that american education needs to be mended. i used to help people with their calculus course while i was in school doing masters, there where times when i had to explain 1+1=2(if ever i missed that step while teaching math).
                      but about deciding your major even before you know what your strong point is ridiculous(i only figured that i love math when i was in my 8th grade, bcos i had a very good teacher who loved to teach)
                      I totally agree... working partime at Peer Tutorial center during high school reminds me how pathetic our system is

Comment

Working...
                      X