Pramod Mahajan shot at by brother, in critical condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pramod Mahajan shot at by brother, in critical condition

Bharatiya Janata Party General Secretary Pramod Mahajan was critically injured after he was shot at point-blank range by his brother Pravin Mahajan on Saturday morning at his residence in Worli, central Mumbai.

Mahajan, who was operated on at the Hinduja Hospital, has serious injuries on his liver, pancreas and intestines. Doctors said they were able to stabilise him and stop the bleeding.

Hospital sources said the bullets pierced his intestine and pancreas.

Mahajan received four bullet injuries, doctors said. He has been shifted to the intensive care unit and doctors say the next 48 hours will be critical.

He was given 25 bottles of blood during the operation.

The BJP leader's wife and some other family member witnessed the shocking incident after which a doctor living in the same apartment complex rushed him to the Hinduja hospital where he was immediately operated upon by a team of surgeons.

As many as four bullets have "shattered" Mahajan's liver, pancreas, intestines and the IVC, a key pipeline of blood leading to heart, according to Dr S Bhattacharya, one of the surgeons who operated upon him.

"We are fighting a death battle," Bhattacharya told NDTV , however, adding that Mahajan "looks stable at the moment."

Mahajan has lost a fair amount of blood and has been given as many as 25 bottles of blood, the doctor said.

After the surgery, Mahajan was being shifted to Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with doctors emphasising that the next 48 hours would be critical.

Confusion prevailed over what motivated Pravin, a building contractor, to shoot at his brother.

Initial reports that it was a property dispute between them were disounted both by the police and another brother Prakash, who lives in Aurangabad.

After shooting his brother Pravin went to the police station with the revolver, with which he had shot Mahajan and surrendered. He "confessed" to having shot the BJP leader, according to the police.

While Pravin, who has been charged with attempt to murder, was being interrogated at the police station, his lawyer Nand Kumar Rajurkar told NDTV that his client had a mental condition.

Pravin has a "well-knit" family consisting of his wife and two children, the lawyer said.

As the news of Mahajan being shot at spread, a large number of BJP supporters rushed to the hospital and police had a tough time in controlling the crowd.

Top BJP leaders, including L K Advani, Rajnath Singh and M Venkaiah Naidu have rushed to Mumbai.

Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee was in constant touch with Mahajan's family.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh spoke to Mahajan's wife before he left for his five-day visit to Germany and Uzbekistan.

Shiv Sena leaders Manohar Joshi, Uddhav Thackarey, film personalities Hema Malini and Madhur Bhandarkar, Maharshtra Ministers Chagan Bhujbal and Dilip-Walse Patil visited the hospital to enquire about Mahajan's condition

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1499849.cms

I wish he survives but chances are remote
    Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
    Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

When common man suffers injuries in accident in road or trains in bombay, they are taken to KEM or sion hospital or rajabai etc municipal hospital. But when something happens to politicians, they go straight to 5 star hospitals. Politicians lives are precious.

Comment

Originally posted by JASOOS VIJAY
      When common man suffers injuries in accident in road or trains in bombay, they are taken to KEM or sion hospital or rajabai etc municipal hospital. But when something happens to politicians, they go straight to 5 star hospitals. Politicians lives are precious.

Thats the tragedy here in South east asia. Things are pretty much same here in Pakistan.
      Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
      Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

These things happen when people want to live larger than life lives!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

The wider question here is about the family feuds in our societies.

Feuds on property inheritance and so on and so forth.

Son battling his own father and brother fighting his own brother.

The mindset of making a living out only on parental property inheritance is downright disgusting.

Blood is no longer thicker than water.

Comment

It happens in all societies.

Comment

Life is tough. Those who can afford it will always get better treatment. In the US, a poor person without insurance can die not being able to afford the very expensive treatment for say cancer?

Comment

Back in Delhi after a loooong time and just had a look at the news channels. Things seem to have changed a lot since I looked the last time. The number of news channels is good for the competition but I am not sure about the content.
                Look at this Mahajan thing.. the way its plastered all over is crazy. They have like a minute by minute update and a scrolling text informing us whether he blinked or not..I mean WTF??!!
                I cant say for others but I still dont see how this might be of high priority for most people.

Comment

brotherly love innit....lol

Comment

As brotherly as Musharraf taking over the country by force! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I cant say for others but I still dont see how this might be of high priority for most people.
                      But who cares, these socalled news channels are making quite a dramtic story & earning bag loads. They care for monies only, not for quality news.
                      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

bloodless coup Vs Brother nearly killing own brother for power and money

Comment

Working...
                        X