Nepal In Crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepal In Crisis

Pro-democracy protests is sweeping across Nepal. For the first time in the history of Nepal, the King is at the eye of public outrage. By cracking down hard on the protestors and even innoccent people who weren't part of the demonstration in the first place, the King is digging his own graveyard.
    For more reading visit these blogs
    http://himalayanexpress.blogspot.com/
    http://bloggersnepal.com
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%
    Don't Know
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by kkumar; 12 Apr 06,, 17:22. Reason: clarity

Journos Targeted in Mass Rallies

'Journalists brutally targeted at mass rallies across Nepal'
    http://himalayanexpress.blogspot.com/ for pics and more..

The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) is calling for the Nepalese Government to stop targeting journalists and respect the media's right to cover the news, free from intimidation and violence, following the arrests of up to 100 journalists and the brutal attack of 24 journalists across Nepal during the past five days.

"The IFJ is seriously concerned at the significant escalation in violent attacks on journalists and the media in Nepal over the past few days," said IFJ president Christopher Warren.

"The blatant disregard that the Nepalese authorities are showing for the work of the media is abhorrent," said Warren.

The mass arrests occurred when Nepal's Seven Party Alliance (SPA) called a four-day general strike and launched a mass democratic movement on Thursday April 6, resulting in the authorities introducing a dawn-till-dusk curfew in an attempt to thwart the pro-democracy rallies.

In an attempt to control the mass protests across Nepal, police and the Royal Nepal Army (RNA) have used teargas and batons and fired randomly at protestors in an attempt to control the crowd.

The police and RNA have systematically targeted journalists and mediapersons attempting to cover the mass protests resulting in mass arrests of media persons and multiple incidents of journalists being brutally attacked by authorities while attempting to cover the demonstrations.

"We are sickened at the beatings and assaults on our colleagues by the RNA and police," said Warren.

"I implore the Nepalese authorities to recognize the role the important media plays in reporting on protests," said Warren.

"The imposition of the curfew means it is more important than ever that journalists be given the right to free movement to enable them to report fully on these momentous days for Nepal," said Warren.

"It is unacceptable to treat independent media and journalists as the enemy
    and not as independent observers," said Warren.

The IFJ calls for the immediate release of the 10 journalists that remain
    in custody, many of whom were arrested without any legal notice and calls
    for the Nepalese Government to instruct the authorities to immediately
    respect journalists right to move about freely without fear of arrest or
    physical assault.

Comment

Does Nepal need a King?
      Its upto nepal & nepalese, but surely king cannot be bigger than democracy. A clear division between the elected representatives & monarcy should be arrived upon.
      Hala Madrid!!

Comment

If im not wrong is this the same king who used his nephew to assassinate the previous Royal Family?
        Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
        Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

For all you knopw he murdered and then blamed the nephew who had shot himself as well!

Very power hungry chap and even earlier before he became the King, he and his son were not liked!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

A move towards constituional monarchy could be a way forward like Britain where he is the king for name sake only & has no role in day to day running of the kingdom.

Comment

I feel in his last trip to India he met Mr. Manmohan Singh and after those meetings India removed its sanctions that were imposed on Nepal. Perhaps Indian Government was too quick in that matter.
              Nisaar main teri galiyon pe aaye watan, ke jahan
              Chali hai rasm keh koi na sar utha keh chaley

Comment

Well we have to support Nepali Army coz they are fighting for us in blocking terrorist incursions. IA supports arms to the Army, but the Foreign Ministry hates the King with a passion.

Sonner or later he will have to releiquish the power. Sooner the better.
                A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                  Sonner or later he will have to releiquish the power. Sooner the better.
                  I guess the question is, will he relinquish power willingly (if he sees the writing on the wall), or will he have to have it taken from him (by people storming the palace). And the other question is, if he does relinquish power willinginly (or at least without having a gun directly aimed at his head), will he be able to survive the event?

Comment

The King of Nepal is a pigheaded chap.

He won't give up the throne so easily.

The Nepalese will have to physically throw him out along with his throne.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                      The Nepalese will have to physically throw him out along with his throne.
                      I think you're right sir. Now that being said, who gains control afterwords? The liberal opposition or the Maoists?

Comment

Originally posted by lwarmonger
                        Now that being said, who gains control afterwords? The liberal opposition or the Maoists?
                        That is the really worrisome part. I hope the intersted parties do not mess up Nepal and I hope and pray that we don't screwup things in that fragile mountain country.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Not to mention the fact that Nepal is technically the only certified Hindu country in the world. India's interests should extend beyond the monarchy there to ensure that the maoists are either marginalized or at worst militarily neutralized.

Comment

They've attacked lawyers today. Its pathetic.

What has the King done anyway? Like he's swung into action and saved Nepal from the clutches of the maoists!

This King looked like a wolf in a sheep's attire right from when he crowned himself the the Monarch ! Deceptive dingbat.

Comment

What's so great about Nepal being a Hindu country?

Does it have some type of a Hindu law that reigns supreme like the Sharia in Islamic countries?

There is nothing that makes this Hindu stuff something of being special as it would be for Islamic countries following the Sharia.

Therefore, bneing Hindu or being Martian is not of concern.

What is of concern is freedom and democracy.

That is not there.

That is the important issue.

Maos are bums.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X