• Show
Clear All

• Albany NY school bans red, white, blue

http://www.starktruth.com/comment.asp?articleid=2470

Jeff Stark

Thursday, March 10, 2005
    Red, White & Blue Banned As 'Gang' Colors
    UPDATE: Here is the little Gang-Banger.

ALBANY -- A Mont Pleasant middle school student is taking her freedom-of-expression fight to federal court, claiming Schenectady school officials have no right to ban her from wearing a handmade red, white and blue necklace to class.

The beads, which Raven Furbert got as a string-it-yourself Christmas gift, symbolize love of country and respect for soldiers serving in Iraq, according to the lawsuit her mother, Katie Grzywna, filed in U.S. District Court in Albany.

Among those soldiers is her uncle, J. Barnes, who is a member of the Army National Guard's 42nd Rainbow Division, and three other relatives. Barnes shipped out to Kuwait in October, and went on active duty in Iraq the first week in January.

Raven, 12, made the necklace over the Christmas vacation and wore it on her first day back to school on Jan. 4. She said it was to commemorate Barnes' move into a danger zone and that it is her way of trying to protect him.

She said she can't understand what the big deal is. "I just want to wear them for my uncle," she said. "I'll be really glad when this is all over."

Schenectady school officials immediately banned her from displaying her unique neckwear in a belief such "gang-related" jewelry violates policy, court papers alleged.

Raven was threatened with suspension if she continued to wear the beads.

Where's ACLU? The silence is deafening.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      belief such "gang-related" jewelry violates policy
      I'd have to read the policy to be able to comment.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

gang related.....yep she seems real gangster.

Comment

Working...
        X