X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ban dihydrogen monoxide?

Should dihydrogen monoxide be banned?

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html#FACTS

Please answer the poll. For those who have done some research on dihydrogen monoxide, please keep your thoughts to yourself so others can form their own judgement. Thanks.
    Yes
    28.57%
    No
    71.43%
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

isn't that water?
    2 *H + O = H20

Comment

Originally posted by huh_what
      isn't that water?
      2 *H + O = H20
      Right. It started out as a humorous science paper by a 14 year old chemistry student. I'm sure we can find better uses of bandwidth on this forum than carrying on a silly urban legend.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

You guys ruined the experiment.

It is always interesting to find out who is willing to accept stuff as a travesty as opposed to actually looking into things (the poll is nameless though, as I didn't want anyone to get teased over not spelling out H2O). A similar survey deals with banning women's suffrage, i.e. the right for women to vote. It is amazing how many people will readily agree to something without even knowing what they are agreeing to.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I thot you were talking about 2H2O, then the bulb flashed
          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by shek
            You guys ruined the experiment. .
            Sorry about "ruining" your experiment. It may have been taken more appropriately if you posted it on the 1st of next month.

Comment

I vote for a ban. It ruins perfectly good whisky and there was also bucket loads of it precipitating on me this morning, frankly I could do without it.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                A similar survey deals with banning women's suffrage, i.e. the right for women to vote.
                They did that on the Man's show.

It was FREAKIN' HILLARIOUS!!!

LOL. :)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
                  Sorry about "ruining" your experiment. It may have been taken more appropriately if you posted it on the 1st of next month.
                  Or if you had read the post

Originally posted by Shek
                  For those who have done some research on dihydrogen monoxide, please keep your thoughts to yourself so others can form their own judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                    I vote for a ban. It ruins perfectly good whisky and there was also bucket loads of it precipitating on me this morning, frankly I could do without it.
                    California has already tried to regulate the precipitation form of it. Now when they say to expect heavy storms you can count on a suntan. When they say it will be sunny and cloudless, get out the flippers and snorkel.

And I agree that it doesn't do a Vodka Martini much good either.

Comment

Yeah, I think there's too much sufferaging for women going on. We should make women's sufferage illegal.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                        Yeah, I think there's too much sufferaging for women going on. We should make women's sufferage illegal.
                        I concur. Women's suffering SHOULD be illegal!!

Oh...Wait...Suffrage...suffrage...Oh. I get it.
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
                          California has already tried to regulate the precipitation form of it. Now when they say to expect heavy storms you can count on a suntan. When they say it will be sunny and cloudless, get out the flippers and snorkel.

And I agree that it doesn't do a Vodka Martini much good either.
                          Our weather is so loverly we build shrines to it
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Too bad we had some slow-witted educated-types that had to be kill-joys and ruin the set-up for the rest of us with senses of humor. I was already to respond that dihydrogen monoxide has killed hundreds of thousands of people in a single year, and therefore MUST be banned for the safety of our children.

Supposedly, a city council in, I believe, California actually was duped into panicking over a warning that dihydrogen monoxide was cantaminating the city's waterworks. They were all gung-ho to spend hundreds of thousands to research the problem and ban any tracable amounts of dihydrogen monoxide from the water system.

Originally posted by gunnut
                            Bill Clinton is the perfect example of why women should NOT be allowed to vote...

And Gunnut, absolutely, ABSOLUTELY LOVE your avatar! I need to find a shiny aluminum pin of one to wear around campus.
                            The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
                              And Gunnut, absolutely, ABSOLUTELY LOVE your avatar! I need to find a shiny aluminum pin of one to wear around campus.
                              Why, thank you. I was waiting for someone to notice. I can send you one with much higher resolution if you want.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X