Nuke naval SAMs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuke naval SAMs.

I can find only the Tolos and Terrier Sams had nuclear warheads on them, retired the last of which at the end of the cold war. My question is if there were any programs to fit a nuke on Standard? What about the program to fit "insertable" nuke warheads into a common conventional missile at sea as the need fits? Did that program ever get off the ground? I can see how that would give the commander all his rounds he needs for a conventional engagement, without having to hold back any rounds, while also giving the nuclear option if that were necessary. This would be a Cold War question.

Nuclear-tipped SAMs are a thing of the past now that missiles' accuracy has developed.

Nuclear explosions above you tend to blind your own sensors, in addition to showering you with fallout.
    HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid
      Nuclear-tipped SAMs are a thing of the past now that missiles' accuracy has developed.

Nuclear explosions above you tend to blind your own sensors, in addition to showering you with fallout.
      True, but in a pinch they can also take out a Kirov on your radar horizon, with a supersonic nuclear knockout punch. Not to mention forcing any attacking aircraft to disperse widely which helps the defense.
      Last edited by Sandman; 23 Mar 06,, 22:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
        True, but in a pinch they can also take out a Kirov on your radar horizon, with a supersonic nuclear knockout punch.
        Then why are you talking about SAMs?

SAM = Surface-to-air missile. Used against aircraft and incoming missiles.

The Russians have plenty of nuclear-capable supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles, if that's what you want.

The US hasn't introduced supersonic cruise missiles probably because of the disadvantages of increased cost, IR-seeker uselessness, lessened range, and decreased maneuverability.

The US navy used to carry nuclear-tipped Tomahawks, if that's good enough for you.

Originally posted by Sandman
        Not to mention forcing any attacking aircraft to disperse widely which helps the defense.
        Just shoot them down with SM-2s.
        HD Ready?

Comment

David, All SARH SAMs and AAMs can attack any ground or surface target that the fire control radar can lock onto.

SM-2 is really the USNs primary antiship weapon now. The new Burke IIAs dont even have Harpoons anymore.

So Sandman is right, nuke tipped SM-2s would give an awe inspiring antiship capability to a US warship.

PS: The Mach 3.5+ SM2MRIIIB has an IR seeker for autonomous terminal intercepts.

Comment

You'll have to forgive me, I didn't know the SM-2 was large enough to mount a nuclear warhead. :(
            HD Ready?

Comment

The standard missile can embark the W81 thermonuclear warhead.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/w81.htm

SM2 is actually a verry large missile btw. SM2MR is about 26+ feet long and a launch wieght of approx 3000lbs. The ER versions(and SM3) were even bigger.
              Last edited by Bill; 23 Mar 06,, 22:57.

Comment

Would the IR seeker work at sea level and Mach 3.5?

I'm reduced to just repeating Stuart Slade's words.

Though I take it an SM-2 is more aerodynamically efficient than something like a Sunburn or Shipwreck.
                HD Ready?

Comment

US IR/IIR seekers are typically far superior to Russian units. So are US passive systems(ie NVGs and LLTVs)

Even still, the IR Versions of AA-10 are mach 4 missiles, so there is a lot of ambiguity on how well IR seekers work at hyper velocities in the lower atmosphere.

Comment

I have the impression that the USN approaches the SM-2 series and all previous SAMS, as NAVAL weapons. Usable in all aspects of naval warfare except ASW. The primary engineering emphesis being Anti Air, and anti missile, because those are the hardest targets to hit, but just as easliy used against surface targets.

Didn't an Oliver Hazard Perry class ship take on an Iraqi armed oil platform with Harpoon, but also SM-1s? It would seem Russians don't design such flexibility into their weapons, being more specialized for the mission like SSM, SAM and so on,,,, but that is my amature guess because they have so many different types of missiles packed on their ships, albiet in smaller numbers as a result.

Still, as previously pointed out on another string, a ripple fired salvo of 20 Verticle Launched SM-2s at mach 4 would result in a very bad day for the target. Nuke or not.
                    Last edited by Sandman; 24 Mar 06,, 01:02.

Comment

Working...
                    X