Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many die in Istanbul blasts

Many die in Istanbul blasts

Bomb attacks on the British consulate and the HSBC bank headquarters in Istanbul have left at least 25 dead and about 400 injured.

The attacks are thought to have been carried out by suicide car bombers, and the UK foreign secretary said they bore all the hallmarks of al-Qaeda and associated organisations.

Istanbul is a city in chaos, the BBC's Steve Bryant says.

There is collapsed masonry, shattered windows, burned out cars and general scenes of confusion at the two sites. Much of the city's phone network has been cut.

Hospitals are inundated with hundreds of wounded people, traffic is blocking the roads and crisis officials are asking people to leave the centre to clear the way for ambulances.

Responding to news of the attacks, UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said there could be "no holding back" in confronting the "menace" of global terrorism.

US President George Bush said the bombers had shown "utter contempt" for human life.

The explosions come just days after 23 people died in suicide bombings on two synagogues in the city.

The 15-storey headquarters of the London-based bank towers over a busy shopping area, which correspondents say would have been crowded when the explosion occurred at 1110 Turkish time.

The consulate bomb occurred two minutes later.

British consul-general Roger Short is among those missing at the scene of the consulate blast.

Witnesses reported seeing a light-coloured van driving straight at the consulate building before the explosion.

'Organised terror'

A man who called the semi-official Anatolia news agency claimed that Al-Qaeda and the Turkish Islamic militant group IBDA-C had jointly carried out the attacks.

Turkish Foreign Minister Abullah Gul said Turkey would not bow to terror.

"We are faced with organised terrorist attacks," he said. "This time it was British interests, last week it was two synagogues."

Trading on the Istanbul stock exchange was suspended after the explosions and the Turkish lira dived on foreign exchange markets.

A group claiming to be linked to al-Qaeda also claimed responsibility for the synagogue attacks last Saturday.

It warned that new attacks against the US and its allies were being planned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3222608.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I hope tha bastards rot in Hell. No, that's too good for them...
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

British consul-general Roger Short confirmed dead in the blast by CNN.

Comment

Disgusting. What are they trying to gain?

I think they are foolish. Britain is very concerned about the Islamists. They don't even arrest those who criticise their law and yet hold British citizenship and yet these blokes are targetting them? What do they want?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Well the idea of terrorism is simple.

It is not meant to start a conflict, but end one or even it out.

There are many countries out there that have no voice, no military.

and the only thing they can do is, blow something up.

It is an efficient way of getting your message out there.

However, a lot of innocent people die. :( :(

Comment

The worst part is that none can actually pin the organisation or the country that has perpetuated this dastardly crime as per BBC.

They should roast in hell. But then that is an useless sentiment I am expressing. I think it is time that swine Osama is doing and kynched as per Islamic law in public and stoned or whatever.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Ray. For an India, you sure seem bias.

Do you ask yourselves, why they do these things?

What drives a man to such extremes?

of course not. all you imperialists like to think is about yourselves.

Comment

Ray. For an India, you sure seem bias.

Do you ask yourselves, why they do these things?

What drives a man to such extremes?

of course not. all you imperialists like to think is about yourselves.
                They would have far more sucess for their cause if they didnt rally public opinion AGAINST them by MURDERING people. I know the crime of murder probly doesnt mean much to you because its based on 'biased assumptions' or some cultural relativism crap like that, but human life matters to other people.

Comment

Human life matters to the little people

Cultures that are almost extinct.

And they know that they are extinct!

They are not going to fight with your rules, they want to go out with a bang. and terrorism is the answer to their problems.

Do you not understand? People want freedom, you deny them that right by chosing to take over them.

edited for content by -=ADMIN=-

Comment

Piggywiggy, consider yourself warned.

Comment

Why am I warned?

Comment

what freedom is being denied to Turks? What part of their culture were the British consulate and the synagogues destroying?

You are sticking to platitudes and ignoring the reality of who was actually targeted.

Comment

The turks are the target god damn it!

I am losing touch with reality? i am perfectly in touch with reality.

TOOO MUCH SO!

Comment

Originally posted by PiggyWiggy
                            Why am I warned?
                            Because of your belligerent attitude, your foul language, your flaming and trolling.

Comment

I have been acused of trolling once before on another forum.

what does it mean?

and my flaming is good. whats the reason for a discusion forum if you can not have a good flame?

Comment

Working...
                              X