Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy charged with felony for carrying sugar

THL,
    You're slipping. This is out of Chi town too!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...gardrug11.html

Boy charged with felony for carrying sugar

February 11, 2006

BY JUSTINA WANG

A 12-year-old Aurora boy who said he brought powdered sugar to school for a science project this week has been charged with a felony for possessing a look-alike drug, Aurora police have confirmed.

The sixth-grade student at Waldo Middle School was also suspended for two weeks from school after showing the bag of powdered sugar to his friends.

The boy, who is not being identified because he is a juvenile, said he brought the bag to school to ask his science teacher if he could run an experiment using sugar.

Two other boys asked if the bag contained cocaine after he showed it to them in the bathroom Wednesday morning, the boy's mother said.

He joked that it was cocaine, before telling them, "just kidding," she said.

Aurora police arrested the boy after a custodian at the school reported the boy's comments. The youngster was taken to the police station and detained, before being released to his parents that afternoon.

"This is getting ridiculous," said the boy's mother. "They treated my son like a criminal. .. . This is no way to treat a 12-year-old kid."

East Aurora School District officials declined to comment on the case, citing privacy issues.

The district issued a written statement, which said: "The dangers of illegal drugs and controlled substances are clear.

Could get probation

"Look-alike drugs and substances can cause that same level of danger because staff and students are not equipped to differentiate between the two."

The school handbook states that students can be suspended or expelled for carrying a look-alike drug.

Penalties for juveniles are decided on a case-by-case basis, but if convicted, the sixth-grader could likely face up to five years' probation, said Jeffery Jefko, deputy director of Kane County juvenile court services.

Juveniles who have prior criminal records could also be placed in a residential treatment program if convicted, he said.

Aurora Beacon-News
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Aurora is right here by where I work, too.

If the handbook says that "students can be suspended or expelled for carrying a look-alike drug" then this kid is screwed. Even though powdered sugar is not a drug, technically. Bad judgement on the kids part for bringing sugar to school. I have to wonder if he did not do this intentionally as he should not have needed the sugar in hand to ask if he could do an experiment with sugar. He could have asked before he brought the sugar to school.

I wonder how many teachers are getting in trouble for all that chalk dust flying around their rooms? ;)
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I think it's a dumb ordinance. Call the parents, and if they don't want to play or if there's really a doubt as to whether something is a drug, then bring the police in. My guess is that the powdered sugar smelled sweet and/or the "Domino" box that it came it probably gave away what it was.

Now, if the kid was trying to pawn off nickel and dime bags of powdered sugar, then sure, charge him with something, but it seems as if that wasn't the case.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

The kid must have forgotten to take his ritalin that morning. Oh well, time to double the dosage.

Comment

This, as always, is the funniest thing in the whole story
          East Aurora School District officials declined to comment on the case, citing privacy issues.
          Who's privacy? I love this comment, it's the worlds best catch-all for 'we're not going to comment because we know we'll look like dicks if we do"
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by shek
            Now, if the kid was trying to pawn off nickel and dime bags of powdered sugar, then sure, charge him with something, but it seems as if that wasn't the case.
            That's the only way to be charged in Florida. The penalties here are actually one step worse than selling the actual drug. So, you're better off selling the actual drugs here. :)
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Dumb police/parents/school administrators.

Comment

First a six year old was suspended from school for "sexual harassment" and now this Is'nt everyone being a little too paranoid. Chill out...watch some Tom & Jerry cartoons. :)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                  I wonder how many teachers are getting in trouble for all that chalk dust flying around their rooms? ;)
                  Heyyyyyy....that gives me an idea

Is it possible to compress coccaine into chalk form? The type that a teacher use to write on the black board. It would be a good way to smuggle coccaine. Who takes a second look at a piece of chalk?

How about selling powder coke on donuts? We'll powder donuts with coke rather than sugar. Who would take a second look at a powdered donut?

That would be funny though. Some guy milling around selling chalk and donuts...
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                    That would be funny though. Some guy milling around selling chalk and donuts...
                    They may end up getting charged with selling look alikes

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                    X