• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosin v. Ar. v. Ak

Link

The stuff about the Mosin is true.

They'll throw your shoulder out.

Only the M1938/M1944 has really stiff recoil. The M91/30 is not so bad.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

The M-44 is awesome to shoot.

Comment

Mosin Nagants are okay; I really don't like their bolt action, which is really stiff, or their magazines, which are temperamental. I'm much more of a Mauser fan myself.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I like my M-44. I've got a 91/30 too. It don't like it as much, because it's a pike.
          I've got a Yugo 24/47 that I have yet to shoot, because it's been full of grease for the past fifty years.

My favorite military bolt acction rifle is a K-31.

Comment

I've never had the opportunity to shoot a K-31, but I heard they're not bad.

Comment

For 100 bucks, you can't beat it.

Comment

Originally posted by KPR
                Link

The stuff about the Mosin is true.

They'll throw your shoulder out.
                No they won't. Thats just silly. I own one and its kick isnt bad at all.

Comment

I have two. The kick on the 91/30 isn't too bad, but the kick on the M-44 is painful.

The M-44 is fun to shoot though, because it's a great flamethrower.

Comment

Originally posted by KPR
                    I have two. The kick on the 91/30 isn't too bad, but the kick on the M-44 is painful.

The M-44 is fun to shoot though, because it's a great flamethrower.
                    I had an M38 that I traded for a 91/30, the kick isnt anything bad. The worse kick I have felt has been from a 12 gauge buckshot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishapore41
                      I had an M38 that I traded for a 91/30, the kick isnt anything bad. The worse kick I have felt has been from a 12 gauge buckshot.
                      That is kind of what I was thinking when I was reading the comments on this thread.

The most recoil the journeyman shooter is likely ever going to have to handle is 12 gauge buckshot and slug loads.

In a past life, I never asked my students to do anything that I would not. Ergo, I fired 100 rounds of slug and buckshot from prone as part of curriculum development and that left me old collar bone a wee bit tender for a day or three after.

I've used more than a few M/N M44s over the years and they are fine weapons: reliabel, compact, great range and exceptional penetration. I suspect that most of the complaints regarding recoil are not exactly from the cartridge but more related to stocking issues.

The pull length on any M44 I have ever handled was short; woefully short. If it is a shooter not a collector's piece, get your M44 fitted with a recoil pad and a spacer or two if neccessary. Your marksmanship will improve as a result of good fitting and your shoulder will be much happier.

Regards,

William
                      Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Originally posted by Ishapore41
                        I've never fired 12 Gauge Buckshot.

Comment

Originally posted by KPR
                          I've never fired 12 Gauge Buckshot.

Well its rough, especially if you have a remington 870. Those are lighter than my browning BPS and so the kick is increased.

Comment

I think the M44's kick is sharper and faster than a 12 gauge.

Comment

And the M-44 has a nice comfy steel plate for a recoil bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X