Motorcycle helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle helmets

Here in New Hampshire; as in most all the states, there has been an alarming rise in motorcycle deaths. Yet, unlike most states with a knee jerk reaction aimed at helmets, New Hampsha' has put more emphasis on rider education.

I've been riding for nearly 35 years and though I rarely don a helmet, there have been times when I've put on voluntarily. Personally, I believe rider education, leather, and riding as if you're invisible will do much more to keep you accident free and alive. We live in a world where the limits are being pushed from every angle. I see kids on these rockets that go from 0 - coffin in 4.3 seconds, doing some really stupid things, such as wheelies at 80mph on the highway or two + bikes racing down the middle of main street, oblivious to side traffic.

Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts, especially if you ride.

I'm a new rider as of 2 summers ago. I wouldn't dream of not putting on a helmet when riding, but I also wouldn't dream of feeling a law was necessary to get me to do it.

It's my skull. ;)

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
      I'm a new rider as of 2 summers ago. I wouldn't dream of not putting on a helmet when riding, but I also wouldn't dream of feeling a law was necessary to get me to do it.

It's my skull. ;)

-dale
      I feel that way, too. I say if people do not want to wear helmets or seat belts they should not have to (seat belts for kids only and for adults that have kids in the car as a flying adult can kill a seatbelted kid).
      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

IMO being a rider for say the majority of my life (25+) Helmets kill just as easily as not wearing one. Point being the alarming rate of neck injuries when a crash occurs and that persons body is bent in any which direction gravity and velocity take it. Most people on bikes that die in accidents either die from broken necks and or massive bleeding internal or external. Can they prevent it? yes they can. Do they always no they dont.

Pro's-
        Skull, face, (head) protection from impact. (full face)

Cons-
        Limited vision (full face)
        Limited hearing. (full face)
        Potential for serious neck injury but not allowing the neck to bend on impact.

Myself I do wear one (brain bucket) (turtle shell) everywhere. I take limited risk of loosing my life or becoming incapacitated due to some idiot not paying attention or on a cell phone, putting on mak-up, or drinking coffee.

Many of my friends choose not to.

Ive seen many friends go in bike accidents some wearing them some not at all but either way ended up the very same place with a much different set of wings.

The secondary point im trying to make is having the "choice". Its very important to people that ride. Whether its safer or not they want the "choice" to be theirs not dictated by law. It took people a long time in Pa. to regain their "choice" in the matter and thats all they ever wanted from the beginning.
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 24 Jan 06,, 19:53.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Helmet, gloves and riding boots always. 99% of the time armored jacket and pants too. I usually dump my bike about once a week. Never a scratch to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rother
            Helmet, gloves and riding boots always. 99% of the time armored jacket and pants too. .
            Same, though it's been a long time since I dropped a bike as I restrict myself to road now. You never know when some guy with training wheels (they call them cars) develops a sight problem.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
              I feel that way, too. I say if people do not want to wear helmets or seat belts they should not have to (seat belts for kids only and for adults that have kids in the car as a flying adult can kill a seatbelted kid).
              Screw the kids. "A flying adult" - are you joking? Do chicks stay up at night thinking about new statistically outlying ways in which the precious kids might stub their toesy-woesies? Should we just coat the planet in a foot-thick layer of polyurethane foam, leave some carrots and raisins out, then slit all our adult throats?

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

-dale

Comment

And yeah, jacket with the inserts, boots, helmet, and gloves. Although a buddy of mine who races Ducatis for fun looked at my gloves and laughed. Apparently they are not armored enough.

-dale

Comment

Screw the kids. "A flying adult" - are you joking? Do chicks stay up at night thinking about new statistically outlying ways in which the precious kids might stub their toesy-woesies? Should we just coat the planet in a foot-thick layer of polyurethane foam, leave some carrots and raisins out, then slit all our adult throats?

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

-dale
                  No but there was an incident here where a woman got in a car accident with groceries in the back seat and a can of some sort of grocery item was thrown out of the bag when the cars collided and hit the child in the head and killed him. I assume a 200 pound adult could do the same.
                  "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

No but there was an incident here where a woman got in a car accident with groceries in the back seat and a can of some sort of grocery item was thrown out of the bag when the cars collided and hit the child in the head and killed him. I assume a 200 pound adult could do the same.
                    And a comet fragment could hit your house tomorrow.

Relax! We're pretty safe. The weird stuff can't be guarded against.

-dale

Comment

And a comet fragment could hit your house tomorrow.

Relax! We're pretty safe. The weird stuff can't be guarded against.

-dale
                      Well, Dale, on the off chance you are ever driving with my daughter and I you're gonna have to wear your seatbelt. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Kid<2>Nite
                        Here in New Hampshire; as in most all the states, there has been an alarming rise in motorcycle deaths. Yet, unlike most states with a knee jerk reaction aimed at helmets, New Hampsha' has put more emphasis on rider education.

I've been riding for nearly 35 years and though I rarely don a helmet, there have been times when I've put on voluntarily. Personally, I believe rider education, leather, and riding as if you're invisible will do much more to keep you accident free and alive. We live in a world where the limits are being pushed from every angle. I see kids on these rockets that go from 0 - coffin in 4.3 seconds, doing some really stupid things, such as wheelies at 80mph on the highway or two + bikes racing down the middle of main street, oblivious to side traffic.

Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts, especially if you ride.

Rode around 15 years, havn't done any for about 10.

Believe in choice and rider education. Only rode 1 time without a leather jacket, and of course that would be the day I laid it down on a gravel road.

The most important piece of safety equipment is that thing between the ears.

Now I'll backpedal a bit on choice. It should go by age and rider experence.
                        If youv'e been riding 5 yrs safely, then you know if and when you need to wear a helmet.

I would say first 2 yrs on a bike and maybe 18-21yr olds required to wear a bucket. Passengers always.

Comment

Well, Dale, on the off chance you are ever driving with my daughter and I you're gonna have to wear your seatbelt. ;)
                          I wear my seatbelt because it's good for MY safety. ;) The odds that I'm gonna carome off of your daughter are pretty small. An impact that hard is going to cause a whole different set of problems for her to worry about.

-dale

Comment

best piece of rider education: "Yes, those people in the cars ARE trying to kill you, and will take any opportunity to do so"
                            and
                            "the closer you are to a car, the easier you make the job of killing you". Remembering these two simple rules has saved my life on several occasions.

Friends who have seen me on the road have said "you passed me on the road going really fast, it gave me a fright" or some such, to which I reply, "if I did it slowly you'd have time to hit me"
                            Last edited by Parihaka; 25 Jan 06,, 04:31.
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I usually dump my bike about once a week
                              =======================
                              I figure you're racing either dirt or track...OR you're a real poor rider.

Originally posted by Rother
                              Helmet, gloves and riding boots always. 99% of the time armored jacket and pants too. I usually dump my bike about once a week. Never a scratch to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X