Rugby World Cup Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s_qwert63
    i wouldnt feel shit if i get tackled, cause i would have shitloads of pads everywhere and a helmet!
    in rugby on the other hand...
    You've never even seen football. The hits are harder because it is played at a totally different speed then rugby.

Comment

Must be why on average 150 NFL players a year are seriously injured....cause you can't feel the hits in the pads. :roll

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        Must be why on average 150 NFL players a year are seriously injured....cause you can't feel the hits in the pads. :roll
        well there are about professional 2000 footbal players injured yearly. and yet football is a non-contact sport.

Comment

Than again, nothing compares to the NHL for sheer, no holds barred violence. From what my Canadian friend tells me, hockey sticks are only supposed to be used like that on one condition:

If Canada is being invaded and the people wielding the hockey sticks are riding caribous and yellineg "EH!!!" at the tops of their lungs.

:D :sniper :w00t :LOL :roll :dbanana :blush :clap: :8 :devil :cat :lol :angel :smoke :P :wacko
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Note i said 'seriously injured' Squirt.

If you include all the minor injuries it's more like 150 per team per year(there are 33 teams).

Comment

There is no point in arguing about which sport is tougher. Yes, gridiron players wear pads. That enables them to tackle a lot harder.

Also, in Gridiron you only play half the game (defence/offence) allowing you to rest up. In Rugby, you have to play the full 80 minutes, with only permanent subs allowed.

I would say that generally you have to be physically tougher to play Rugby, but the opportunity for serious injury is higher in gridiron. See, most rugby players are massively muscled, and used to taking hits all day long. So are some gridiron players. But many gridiron players are simply not built to take big hits, which is okay, because they rarely get tackled. However, when they are...

The scoring in rugby is simple. A try (like a touchdown, but the ball has to be grounded) is worth 5 points. When a try is scored, the team gets a chance to convert (kick a goal) for an extra two points. The kick is taken from wherever the try was grounded. ie, if the try was scored right near the sideline, it is a much tighter angle for the conversion than when the try is scored directly in front.

A field goal is worth 3 points, and so is a penalty. It's simple. The goals are exactly the same as gridiron, its just we have the 'H' shape wheras you have a 'Y' shape.

Recently they have cleaned up parts of rugby (most noticeably the scrum), that causd the most injuries. A scrum is when all the forwards (8 each team) bunch together and kinda group-headbutt the other guys. This often resulted in spinal injuries, but it is very rare now.

I like both sports, but I find watching gridiron frustrating with all the stops and starts. Rugby just keeps on flowing. Go here for fox sports' take on it all.

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/named/FSW/Index/Rugby

Check out the bit on where good rugger players would fit into an NFL match.
              SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

I like both rugby and football as well. Rugby is more enderence then football. Football is more like a sprint, but both are exciting to watch.

Comment

I like football better. Much more violent. :)

Comment

I would say hockey and boxing (:w00t ) is much more violent...dont ya think snipe??
                    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Yup.

Comment

I wish all countries would play the same sports. Then we can truly see who's the best :)

See, whilst Rugby and Gridiron are both great games, surely you would have to pick rugby because it is an international game? I mean, whoever wins this world cup can say 'we are the best in the world'. Whoever wins the superbowl gets to say 'yay, I won the superbowl'. Wouldn't it be better for your NFL superstars to be playing a game that other countries play?

Imagine if gridiron was never invented, and Americans still played rugby. It could well be the US dominating the rugby world along with England, France, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia etc.

Or Soccer. It amazes me that Americans are content to let the world's greatests sporting trophy go to others.

And why you guys insist on playing baseball is just beyond me, when there is cricket. Can't you just join in with what the rest of the world is doing?

Mind you, it's not like Australia can really talk. Yes, we've won just about every sporting trophy in the world, yet our biggest domestic league plays Australian Rules Football, whilst our soccer league struggles.

I love Aussie Rules footy, but I would gladly swap it for a stronger domestic soccer competition. Because with a stronger competition, we'd have a stronger national side. And with a stronger national side, we could finally start hunting the FIFA world Cup seriously.

As much as I love Aussie Rules footy, I love Australia's sporting prowess more. Why can't the whole world play the same sports? It'd sort out once and for all who is the best.

The big heavy bruisers can play Rugby Union. The fast agile types can play Soccer. The fat guys who can peg balls at 100 miles an hour and whack them a mile can play cricket.

And don't tell me it'd be a loss of national character, because that's bollocks. New Zealand Rugby is very different from Welsh Rugby, just as English Cricket is different from Australian Cricket. Same game, different styles, culture, tactics, the lot.

And one final thing... I'm surprised American football teams haven't taken up the traditional challenges of the pacific islands nations. You guys ever seen the Haka? Or the Manu? Some teams (the Vikings spring to mind) could easily scrape up a traditional war challenge to fire up the blood.

You know, the QB or someone could get all daubed in warpaint and take the role of baresark, screaming random stuff at the opposition, whilst the rest of team chants some ritual phrases. IT'd be great, and add something new for the fans.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Ever heard of NFL Europe and the CFL?

They are but mere farm systems for the mighty NFL.

Comment

... yeah I have heard of them.

There is also an American Australian Rules Football League. It doesn't mean I can claim Aussie Rules as an international sport.

I do not think that you can seriously claim that gridiron is an international sport. Baseball maybe, Basketball yes, Gridiron no.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

The rankings (collate as current position, last week's position, country, ranking points):
                              1. (2) England 92.13
                              2. (4) Australia 88.44
                              3. (1) New Zealand 88.17
                              4. (3) France 84.66
                              5. (5) South Africa 81.23
                              6. (6) Ireland 80.53
                              7. (7) Argentina 78.02
                              8. (8) Wales 76.92
                              9. (9) Scotland 76.36
                              10. (10) Samoa 73.46

-Nov 17
                              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I just noticed this thread, being a noob and all that.

All very reasoned. However

England

World

Champions!

'ave it.

Do carry on.
                                at

Comment

Working...
                                X