Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

There is a lot to like about his game, but he has one or two flaws that he will need to deal with if he is going to be a success. Now we get to find out if he can rise to the challenge of the very top level.

You blokes have a real talent with Gill. Kid can play.
    Will Pucovski is just 22. Give him some time, and he'll age just like fine wine. Australia has some good players in this team, but to be on the level of Pointing, Gilchrist, Hayden, McGrath, Warne - they have to go through a trail by fire. Do you remember that decade? Australian team was invincible. They played to win. That's how sports should be played.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Pujara was scared to play shots, played to survive than score runs: Border

True. Well, Pujara is no VVS, but he is good. And he hasn't made his presence felt in this series so far.

India vs Australia: SCG crowd hurls racist abuse at Bumrah & Siraj; team files complaint

That some ass***** are part of every nation's heritage is good. It helps administrators make the game ever better, chucking out these kind of people. These blokes, I'm afraid won't get the chance to watch another match live. For example, Trump being booted out of Twitter. It's all fun.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post

Will Pucovski is just 22. Give him some time, and he'll age just like fine wine. Australia has some good players in this team, but to be on the level of Pointing, Gilchrist, Hayden, McGrath, Warne - they have to go through a trail by fire. Do you remember that decade? Australian team was invincible. They played to win. That's how sports should be played.
        I have hope for Pucovski, but I've seen enough talented youngsters fade after promising starts that I'm reserving judgement. A few years back Matt Renshaw made 184 in a Test and looked like the next big thing. Hasn't played a Test for almost 3 years and despite being under 25 isn't remotely close to playing another one. Smith & Labuscagne looked anything like quality bats when they started, and now they both average 60.

One of the things that made that generation great was the amount of talent at domestic level. It made good cricketers. Right now we have more good bowlers than we can use, but the batting is sparse. Other than Pucovski & Green there aren't a lot of real quality prospects aged under 25.

Agree on Shaw, and the Kambli comparison works. Has talent, but not temperament. I feel that Sehwag cast a long shadow - too many kids saw how he batted & thought they could do it too. Very few can, and teaching themselves to bat thay way as kids risks embedding flaws in their game that can't be corrected. As you say, there will be others like Gill who rise to take his place.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Pujara was scared to play shots, played to survive than score runs: Border

True. Well, Pujara is no VVS, but he is good. And he hasn't made his presence felt in this series so far.
          Pujara is a great bat & I'd have him in our team in a heartbeat. His problem this series is that Kohli isn't there to score quickly. Pujara is just the sort of bat India needs in Australia, but they also need guys around him who can score quickly while he blunts the bowling at the other end. In the middle order only Pant really bats that quickly, and he is a bit erratic (and may have a broken arm). His other problem is that he is facing Pat Cummins, whose combination of speed & rigid discipline would find out better bats than Pujara.

I'd be a bit more worried about running between wickets, which has really hurt India this series.

India vs Australia: SCG crowd hurls racist abuse at Bumrah & Siraj; team files complaint

That some ass***** are part of every nation's heritage is good. It helps administrators make the game ever better, chucking out these kind of people. These blokes, I'm afraid won't get the chance to watch another match live. For example, Trump being booted out of Twitter. It's all fun.
          In a ground full of cameras but only 25% full of people I am hoping the guilty party(s?) are located, named, shamed, fined and banned from future events at the ground. Not just cricket & not just the SCG. This sort of stuff is unacceptable and people who go to a sporting event need to know that if they engage in it they don't get to go to sporting events anymore.

sigpic

Comment

• I'm thinking, Australia will bat all three sessions today, post a comfortable 450 lead, and go for the kill tomorrow. They'd have 90 overs to feast on the Indian batsmen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 8.04.46 AM.png
Views:	123
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1570687

So, 58 overs remaining, lead is already 300+.

To score 450, @ 5.0 run rate from here on (Aus batsmen can play rash shots now with confidence that even if they screw up, they'd have a comfortable 400+ lead), Aussies need 30 overs. Remaining 28 overs, Australia can take over 4 Indian batsmen today. Why am I doing this, predicting the demise of my own team.
            Last edited by Oracle; 10 Jan 21,, 03:40.

Comment

I'd be a bit more worried about running between wickets, which has really hurt India this series.
              Is it fair to say that when one gets the International cap, poor running between the wickets, run outs, dropping catches should automatically mean a ban of 2 matches and conditional training for that particular player. Jeeeez, they play like 2000 matches, just to get in the National side, and those 2000 matches are the time when these things should be perfected. Some players have zero discipline.

Comment

• RR has touched 5.0. It will only increase from here.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 9.00.26 AM.png
Views:	113
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1570691

Comment

I'm thinking, Australia will bat all three sessions today, post a comfortable 450 lead, and go for the kill tomorrow. They'd have 90 overs to feast on the Indian batsmen.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 8.04.46 AM.png
Views:	123
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1570687

So, 58 overs remaining, lead is already 300+.

To score 450, @ 5.0 run rate from here on (Aus batsmen can play rash shots now with confidence that even if they screw up, they'd have a comfortable 400+ lead), Aussies need 30 overs. Remaining 28 overs, Australia can take over 4 Indian batsmen today. Why am I doing this, predicting the demise of my own team.
                  No, we will declare very soon, possibly before tea. Give the bowlers time. India won't be up to chasing 370+. Time will work in our favour.
                  sigpic

Comment

Is it fair to say that when one gets the International cap, poor running between the wickets, run outs, dropping catches should automatically mean a ban of 2 matches and conditional training for that particular player. Jeeeez, they play like 2000 matches, just to get in the National side, and those 2000 matches are the time when these things should be perfected. Some players have zero discipline.
                    Not sure teams can afford to drop that many players that often, but I agree that there are some things that should be rare. I can excuse runouts like Smith's in our first innings - last wicket partnership & keen to keep the strike. India's are a bit harder to excuse. Just too many, and they have really cost the team.

I don't expect every chance that goes to hand to be taken, but catching like Australia's efforts in the last Test & India's in Adelaide are unacceptable. I would say that both teams came back well, which is what professionals should do.

* Cam Green just got his first Test 50. He is a class bat. Can concentrate for long periods of time, has shots & can bowl at 140kmph. I like him.
                    sigpic

Comment

• If Pant scores close to 150, and Pujara scores 75, India will win this test match.

Comment

• This 3rd test is the 1st ICC international test match where a female umpire has been used. She is Claire Polosak. She is the reserve umpire for this match.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 8.03.03 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	1570744

Comment

* Cam Green just got his first Test 50. He is a class bat. Can concentrate for long periods of time, has shots & can bowl at 140kmph. I like him.
                          He is fantastic. 140 kmph is a very decent speed in cricket.

Comment

• Noooooooooo.......Espn is down, god dammit.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 11.23.51 AM.png
Views:	90
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1570759

Comment

• This test was for the Aussies to win. This test was for India to lose, then to win, but finally drawn. Good cricket.

If Pant had played calmly (minus the rash shots, he would have got his 100) & Jadeja wasn't injured, India'd have won. With a second grade team, it's still good to see the Indian team draw this test match against a fit Aussie side. Pant is a good player, but he needs to learn to be patient. Vihari, though I'm not very fond of the way he plays, and Ashwin, both showed character.

Worry for the Australian team going to the 4th test, is Pucovski, he injured his shoulder.
                              Last edited by Oracle; 11 Jan 21,, 14:50.

Comment

No, we will declare very soon, possibly before tea. Give the bowlers time. India won't be up to chasing 370+. Time will work in our favour.
                                Ashwin & Vihari stole it from you guys. This is what I like about test cricket.

Though my confidence with this second rung Indian team is hovering between 70 & 80%, had Jadeja been fit, 400+ would have been am achievable target, if Indian batsmen played with responsibility. But it's cricket, nothing every goes right, and nothing can be said until the last ball is bowled.

Pant is a good player, he shouldn't go the Kambli way. 2 bad series, and he'd be dropped, he needs to understand that. Too many talented youngsters in the pipeline, waiting for that Indian cap, score runs, and cement their place in the Indian team. Not everyone can make a comeback like Andre Agassi.

Comment

Working...
                                X