Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    Okay, I have a question. Kohli is expecting his first child, which is good news. But he has a duty as the Captain of the Indian team. So, should he have stayed instead and played. He can always see his child later.
    Ultimately that is a decision for him and his partner.

From my POV a child is only born once. It is one of the most important moments in a parent's life. Talking to friends and family who have been present it is an experience without equal and a powerful bonding experience. Even in less enlightened times, and with a World War as an excuse, my Grandfather always regretted missing the birth of my father. If a husband can be present he should be and I would support any Australian cricketer who chooses to be.

Over the past generation this has come up a number of times in various sports in Australia, with players potentially missing Grand Finals or overseas tours. Once upon a time the expectation would have been that the player put his role as husband and father second. Fortunately that thinking has completely shifted and now the decision to be at the birth of a child is widely supported.

Kohli will have plenty of other chances to captain India should the Board so honour him, and likely more chances against Australia. I think it is a great example for Indian men to see one of the most high profile and respected men in their nation put his role as husband & father first.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

Ultimately that is a decision for him and his partner.

From my POV a child is only born once. It is one of the most important moments in a parent's life. Talking to friends and family who have been present it is an experience without equal and a powerful bonding experience. Even in less enlightened times, and with a World War as an excuse, my Grandfather always regretted missing the birth of my father. If a husband can be present he should be and I would support any Australian cricketer who chooses to be.

Over the past generation this has come up a number of times in various sports in Australia, with players potentially missing Grand Finals or overseas tours. Once upon a time the expectation would have been that the player put his role as husband and father second. Fortunately that thinking has completely shifted and now the decision to be at the birth of a child is widely supported.

Kohli will have plenty of other chances to captain India should the Board so honour him, and likely more chances against Australia. I think it is a great example for Indian men to see one of the most high profile and respected men in their nation put his role as husband & father first.
        I guess, winning is not everything. There are other aspects of life which are more important than winning.
        Last edited by Oracle; 16 Nov 20,, 14:59.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Rohit Sharma had done the same thing when his kid was born too. They are playing a game, not fighting a war. We take leave from work when our kids are born. They should be allowed to do that too.

Comment

• 1st ODI: Australia wins
            Aus - 374/6
            Ind - 308/8

The body language of the Indian players, poor bowling, and the casual gifting of wickets by the Indian batsmen was a shame to watch. The good thing however though were the cricket fans in the stadium, while not full, but there were many. Cricket is making a comeback.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• If last night was a preview of Steve Smith's form this summer it is going to be very unpleasant for India. Apparently he has spent his time in quarantine workling on a few flaws he struggled with during the IPL. Warner, Labuscagne & Smith are the core of Australia's batting. If any two of them bat well this summer we will be hard to beat.
              sigpic

Comment

• Pandya won't bowl till T20 WC. Rohit is missing. Kohli will be missing. Ishant is injured. Something is not right. I think we're in for a good drubbing this year.

Smith played IPL this year?

Bowling was pathetic. Why is Saini even playing, IDK.

Comment

• India lost, AGAIN.

Aus - 389/4
                  Ind - 338/9

Watching the form of top-order Aussie batsmen, it's likely the highest score in these ODI series (remaining 3 matches) might as well read Aus - 450/4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                    India lost, AGAIN.

Aus - 389/4
                    Ind - 338/9

Watching the form of top-order Aussie batsmen, it's likely the highest score in these ODI series (remaining 3 matches) might as well read Aus - 450/4.
                    Warner has injured himself and won't play before the Tests (if at all) and Cummins is being rested, so we will be weaker in the remaining ODI & the T20s.

Smith is in scary form, Labuscagne is making runs & if Warner is fit he is in form too. Hazelwood & Cummins are bowling well. Starc is not, but I'm fairly confident he will come good by the time the Tests start. Our bowling lineup is basically decided unless there is an injury. Batting is less certain, wiht the possibility that opener Will Pucovski might replace Joe Burns. Pucovski has scored two double centuries in domestic cricket this season, while Burns has done little. The other possibility is Cameron Green replacing Matthew Wade down the order. Green is a genuine allrounder who will likely end up as a batting allrounder due to injury concerns. Personally I'm hoping he gets picked.

That would mean a lineup of Warner, Burns (or Pucovski), Labuscagne, Smith, Head, Wade (or Green), Paine (c), Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon, Pattinson.

I haven't been following India's Test team. Who are you expecting to get picked and who will step in for Kohli?
                    sigpic

Comment

• I wish I understood a single word on this thread!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        I wish I understood a single word on this thread!

Cricket for Americans ^^

Comment

• I heard England beat South Africa in a one day series. Didn't manage to watch anyone of it :(.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

Warner has injured himself and won't play before the Tests (if at all) and Cummins is being rested, so we will be weaker in the remaining ODI & the T20s.

Smith is in scary form, Labuscagne is making runs & if Warner is fit he is in form too. Hazelwood & Cummins are bowling well. Starc is not, but I'm fairly confident he will come good by the time the Tests start. Our bowling lineup is basically decided unless there is an injury. Batting is less certain, wiht the possibility that opener Will Pucovski might replace Joe Burns. Pucovski has scored two double centuries in domestic cricket this season, while Burns has done little. The other possibility is Cameron Green replacing Matthew Wade down the order. Green is a genuine allrounder who will likely end up as a batting allrounder due to injury concerns. Personally I'm hoping he gets picked.

That would mean a lineup of Warner, Burns (or Pucovski), Labuscagne, Smith, Head, Wade (or Green), Paine (c), Starc, Cummins, Hazelwood, Lyon, Pattinson.

I haven't been following India's Test team. Who are you expecting to get picked and who will step in for Kohli?
                            I honestly don't know. Too many probables. Iyer, Gill, Pant, Shaw - these are young talent who have a future, but they need to work like hell and be consistent to find a slot in the international team. I am not very happy with Iyer and Gill as far as their performances are concerned in this series, yet.

3rd ODI,
                            Ind - 302/5
                            Aus - 289/49.3

Butttt, WTF? I last watched this match till 42 overs, India was batting and it looked like 280 would be the score. Logged in now, and saw India won. Strange. Would have been a competitive match.

Comment

• Interesting results from the Australia A v Indians 3 day match. This was basically a chance for some test players not involved in the ODIs & T20 to have a hit out and for some probables & possibles to put their case.

I don't know all of the Indian players, but Umesh Yadav & Ravi Ashwin bowled well, while Pujara & Rahane did well with the bat. None of the other top order bats did much.

On the Australian side this match was billed as a contest between openers Pucovski & Burns for a spot, assuming Warner is fit for the first Test. Both failed in the first innings. Burns failed in the second, while Pucovski was hit on the helmet. He has a history of concussion, which means he may not be available for the first Test. It ha snow been confirmed that Warner will not be fit, so India may face an out of form Burns & Marcus Harris, who is in good form but has a patchy history at Test level.

The big story for Australia was allrounder Cam Green. He made an unbeaten century and grabbed a couple of top orer wickets. Hopefully he will be picked, though incumbent Matthew Wade has been making runs & may be preferred. Also good news that James Pattinson, who is the next picked fast bowler if we suffer an injury, bowled well.

There is one more practice match before the first test, this one a day nighter with the pink ball. That will likely involve lineups very similar to the eventual test teams. Should be interesting.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Some late review.

India won the T20 Series against Australia, 2-1.

As for the 1st test. You all have no idea how p!ssed I am.

Defence. Defence. Defence. Defence was the hallmark of many Indian batsmen over the decades. Gavaskar, Dravid and so many more. These guys have no footwork at all. Sissies.

Full credit to the Aussie bowlers. They bowled disciplined, well and in the right areas. Extremely well bowled Australia. India deserved this humiliation.

I am off celebrating. My girlfriend will have twins sometime in the future.

Before I go celebrating, anybody noticed how F ordinary, the Indian bowlers bowled. These a##e# should be stripped and spanked.
                                Last edited by Oracle; 19 Dec 20,, 17:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X