Cricket: McCullum joins the greats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
    For those who like cricket in general and not just the way it was played originally when it started ....

We have the World T20 reaching the Semis.

We have India thrashing all comers to top the group (what's new ....)

And we had India thrashing the Aussies yesterday by over 70 runs. In a match where you bat for 20 overs.

Really sad. Just when we thought the Aussies were trying to get back on their feet.

Oh well. I guess the rebuild is going to take a generation more at least. But I must admit. The capitulation from the once-greats was not a pretty sight. Its the kind of mauling one associates with lesser teams like Canada or Ireland or Zimbabwe ....
    Thanks SB, I just won a bet with myself.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

For those who like cricket in general and not just the way it was played originally when it started ....

We have the World T20 reaching the Semis.

We have India thrashing all comers to top the group (what's new ....)

And we had India thrashing the Aussies yesterday by over 70 runs. In a match where you bat for 20 overs.

Really sad. Just when we thought the Aussies were trying to get back on their feet.

Oh well. I guess the rebuild is going to take a generation more at least. But I must admit. The capitulation from the once-greats was not a pretty sight. Its the kind of mauling one associates with lesser teams like Canada or Ireland or Zimbabwe ....
      Who cares its T20 nonsense. I have given each and every match in the tournament a miss.
      Plus of course Bangladesh in April spin/sweat/dew heaven.
      Now if we manage to do this touring England in July or Australia in
      december either ODI or Tests.....that I would love to see.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
        Who cares its T20 nonsense. I have given each and every match in the tournament a miss.
        A couple of the Aussie ones were on in prime time & I caught a bit. Enjoyable enough as they went, but fairly forgettable. I actually forgot Australia/India was even on. I got some measure of what it meant to me when I missed the first half of Australia/West Indies to watch my Hawks play a local Aussie rules game. I was more upset at the possibility they might lose a game they should have won (they won in the last minute) than at the fact that Australia did lose a game it should have won.

While I would like to have seen us win the tournament, I'm not sad that our players will get a rest. An injury to a key player would have been a disaster far larger than being bundles out early. Now we get a bit more time to recharge before the real business - taking on Pakistan & then India in tests. I think that if we win both series we go to No.1. Could be the shortest 'generation' in human history. ;)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          Thanks SB, I just won a bet with myself.
          What a remarkable coincidence man. So did I.

Comment

I always care when we trample roughshod over the Aussies. Keeps the balance right. We learn from the best. And the best have taught us to press harder when the boot is on the neck. Not ease up and let the guy up for breath.

Comment

Could be the shortest 'generation' in human history. ;)
              The fact that the "pup" has for some time now been a dog and getting long in the tooth, things are well on their way to the next generation. Of middle rung mediocrity. Or renaissance. We will see.

Meanwhile we have a world title to win.

Yet again.
              Last edited by sated buddha; 31 Mar 14,, 20:11.

Comment

What a remarkable coincidence man. So did I.
                Only works the first time I'm afraid.
                Last edited by Bigfella; 31 Mar 14,, 20:39.
                sigpic

Comment

Only works the first time I'm afraid.
                  I guess we both deserve a treat.

Comment

I guess we both deserve a treat.
                    Mine was knowing the moment you posted this that it was completely hollow.

I'll raise you one better. Let's not talk cricket at all. I can live with that. Happily. :)
                    I knew there was no way you would be able to restrain yourself.
                    sigpic

Comment

I knew there was no way you would be able to restrain yourself.
                      Tone down your air of self importance man. Someone not wanting to talk something with you does not mean he does not and will not do so with others. I love cricket and will talk about it all I want. With or without your participation is really not a factor.

Mine was knowing the moment you posted this that it was completely hollow.
                      The coincidences are startling I must admit.

Mine was knowing that for all the bluster of being a purist and being unaffected by the shorter versions, getting whipped does rankle enough to draw out an (unsolicited) response. :)

Hollow? Hell yeah!

Better luck 2 years on ....
                      Last edited by sated buddha; 01 Apr 14,, 06:26.

Comment

Tone down your air of self importance man. Someone not wanting to talk something with you does not mean he does not and will not do so with others. I love cricket and will talk about it all I want. With or without your participation is really not a factor.
                        The target of your post was very clear.

The coincidences are startling I must admit.

Mine was knowing that for all the bluster of being a purist and being unaffected by the shorter versions, getting whipped does rankle enough to draw out an (unsolicited) response. :)

Hollow? Hell yeah!

Better luck 2 years on ....
                        Rankled? Unsolicited? Too funny.

SB,

This clearly means a great deal to you. You clearly need this win, so I'm happy for you. I hope that India wins the tournament.

Here in Australia we are so devastated at being knocked out of a biennial T20 tournament that we have all donned colourful scarves & decided not to talk about cricket until October. Its called 'Football Season'.

This Friday night I'll be joining at least 60,000 people at the Melbourne Cricket Ground to watch the greatest team of the modern era, my Hawthorn Hawks, play the team they beat to win last year's Grand Final - Fremantle. The best T20 ever played can't touch what I get to see every other week.

sigpic

Comment

This thread has reached its logical (or illogical) conclusion. It makes more sense to relocate the discussion elsewhere and leave Brendon alone.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/spo...tml#post957098
                          sigpic

Comment

I always care when we trample roughshod over the Aussies. Keeps the balance right. We learn from the best. And the best have taught us to press harder when the boot is on the neck. Not ease up and let the guy up for breath.
                            T20 is lottery cricket.
                            Its not a good example of what you want to say.
                            I would love it if we actually did what you claim when it counted.
                            The boot was well and truly on our necks in England, South Africa and New Zealand. Pakistan won an ODI series against us and gave SA a rough time in SA.

Thats why I am waiting for July. Its a wonderful chance to beat the fragile and downbeat England.
                            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

T20 is lottery cricket.
                              Its not a good example of what you want to say.
                              I would love it if we actually did what you claim when it counted.
                              The boot was well and truly on our necks in England, South Africa and New Zealand. Pakistan won an ODI series against us and gave SA a rough time in SA.

Thats why I am waiting for July. Its a wonderful chance to beat the fragile and downbeat England.
                              You could continue this discussion on the general thread created by BF for cricketing discussions. We've decided to let Brendon RIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X