Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cricket: McCullum joins the greats

Cricket: McCullum joins the greats

WELLINGTON: You can judge the character of a player during an adversity; and you can get an insight into the personality of a man, when he goes and does something great.

Brendon McCullum showed how huge he is on both counts when he rescued New Zealand from imminent defeat and went on to score the first triple century for his country. "Without being disrespectful I probably didn't know the magnitude of it (the 300) until the last 24 hours," he said, almost embarrassed by the love and respect he was getting.

"I grew up and watched the NZ cricket team for years on end. I watched Martin Crowe score his 299 and thought it would have been an amazing feat if he scored 300, but probably didn't quite understand how much it meant to the whole country," he revealed.

McCullum was dog-tired, even in a daze, when he retired for the day on 281 on Monday evening. "I wasn't too bad," he said about the effort, "till I saw the size of the crowd. Then, every ball that I defended, left or got a single, they would start cheering and it made me a little bit more nervous.

"That's probably when I understood the magnitude of the task at hand and the immense joy it gives fans of this cricket team to see guys succeed and see records broken. It was a moment when 300 came up and the applause was ongoing for quite a while. It is really when it hit home to me that it was quite a significant feat for a New Zealander and I'll certainly remember them for the rest of my life."

He was honest enough to share that it was once-in-a-lifetime experience. "I've never experienced anything like that before. All the tough times and tough periods you go through when you're out of form and you're just trying to keep the faith in what you're trying to achieve.

"And just knowing there are plenty of good people out there who are backing you as well in that moment I guess I realised how much satisfaction you can bring people from the way you achieve stuff and that gave me a lot of good feelings."

McCullum revealed that the momentum towards the 300 had started building up on Monday evening itself. "I saw Martin Crowe talk about it on television. I spoke to Stephen Fleming and both were only talking about the significance of a 300 to the country.

"Those two guys sat at 1 and 2 on the table. I feel a little bit embarrassed because I'm nowhere near the calibre of players they were, but I think in terms of New Zealand cricket and moving forward for this team, we have finally broken that 300 barrier and hopefully some of these guys will continue to break that barrier."

The NZ skipper showed he has a sense of humour despite the fatigue by making it clear that he didn't have a tear in his eye after reaching the landmark. "Nah, no tear in the eye. I'm from south Dunedin."

Speaking about the previous night, he said: "I went for a beer with the old man. He was up and booked his flight for a month late which everyone says was a bit silly. I just think he's quite cunning. I just tried to keep it relaxed and normal as possible."
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Team BCCI can always be counted on to improve the statistics of every batsman they face.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Marvellous innings, a dream for any cricketer to play like this and rescue a lost match.

Frustrating for Indian fans though, actually the whole series.

I watched 4th ODI at Seddan Park. The crowd was ecstatic there, one of the kiwi supporter told me that this series has rejuvenated people's interest for this game. He followed rugby when West Indies were touring but for that match he drove all the way from tokoroa with his family and little ones to watch a day and night match.

Attached Files

Comment

Well done that man! Truly a great day for NZ cricket compounded by a series victory over the number 2 ranked team in the world (for now, that will change if SA doesn't win the series against Australia). New Zealand's spirit & skill was as impressive as India's bowling was unimpressive. India continues a long tradition of under-achievement overseas. Can't wait for them to tour here again soon.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          Can't wait for them to tour here again soon.
          Ditto. Anything less than 4-0 and you would still be in arrears from the last time your guys were over here.

But I can understand. Everyone wants a bite of the reigning World Champions. Its natural. Aspirational.

That said, I would be the first to admit that we are playing crap all currently. Our strength has always been our batsmen, but the bowlers have to do something at least. Test matches are won by getting the other side out twice, and simply put, we have fallen short of that.
          Last edited by sated buddha; 19 Feb 14,, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
            Ditto. Anything less than 4-0 and you would still be in arrears from the last time your guys were over here.
            Depends how you look at it SB. Last time India toured here, with one of the best teams ever to leave India, you lost 4-0. Could say we are even now.

But I can understand. Everyone wants a bite of the reigning World Champions. Its natural. Aspirational.
            To be more precise, they enjoy beating the best. That is why we are enjoying beating up on Sth Africa right now & why everyone enjoys beating us. There is no 'World Champion' of Test cricket & since Australia, England & India just destroyed the structure of world cricket to avoid yet another Indian tantrum there probably won't be. We only have the ICC rankings. Not sure when India was last at the top of those, but it was a while ago. India has rarely been 'the best' at Test cricket.

If you are referring to the 50 over game, Nobody outside the winning nation cares that much after the tournament ends & it means stuff all for Test cricket.

That said, I would be the first to admit that we are playing crap all currently. Our strength has always been our batsmen, but the bowlers have to do something at least. Test matches are won by getting the other side out twice, and simply put, we have fallen short of that.
            India has consistently failed to produce bowlers who get wickets outside India. it isn't just a problem of the moment, but a long term issue. Without any disrespect to McCullum, allowing NZ to pass 500 in consecutive tests is a disgrace.
            sigpic

Comment

To be more precise, they enjoy beating the best. That is why we are enjoying beating up on Sth Africa right now & why everyone enjoys beating us.
              Yes and no. South Africa are the best right now. Australia on the other hand are third best, and could possibly climb to second by displacing us by the end of the tour. But still not the best. You've had one good series after years of recent losses, which saw you go as low as 5 (or was it 6). A little premature to be breaking out the bubbly yet.

There is no 'World Champion' of Test cricket & since Australia, England & India just destroyed the structure of world cricket to avoid yet another Indian tantrum there probably won't be. We only have the ICC rankings. Not sure when India was last at the top of those, but it was a while ago. India has rarely been 'the best' at Test cricket.
              You cannot have a reliable and credible championship of a format where you cannot guarantee a winner and a loser. In such a situation, regardless of "tantrums", the current system is the best. Speaking of a while ago, India was No. 1 in Test cricket a lot more recently than Australia was, if I am not mistaken. We are rebuilding after the retirement of our greats also much more recently that your rebuild post the retirement of yours. Yet we've won a World Cup and a Champions Trophy during that. When and which was the last serious trophy you've won in world cricket (can't recall, but it must have been a while ago)?

If you are referring to the 50 over game, Nobody outside the winning nation cares that much after the tournament ends & it means stuff all for Test cricket.
              World cricket has two official World Cups, and we've won both, and are the current reigning World Champions of the 50 over format. The format which was the only world chamionship til the 20 over one came along. So yes, we are the World Champions, and we got there by dethroning you in the quarter finals. Which means there were at the very least, at least 4 world teams better than you were. So yes, I would understand if you as a nation would not "care mch" about that. Till and if you happen to win agin of course.

India has consistently failed to produce bowlers who get wickets outside India. it isn't just a problem of the moment, but a long term issue. Without any disrespect to McCullum, allowing NZ to pass 500 in consecutive tests is a disgrace.
              I would agree to that. We do have a paucity of good world beating bowlers. Then again, we own almost every record worth owning as batsmen. Just to put things into perspective.

Comment

Yes and no. South Africa are the best right now. Australia on the other hand are third best, and could possibly climb to second by displacing us by the end of the tour. But still not the best. You've had one good series after years of recent losses, which saw you go as low as 5 (or was it 6). A little premature to be breaking out the bubbly yet.
                I'm not, but we are on an upward trajectory. Unless Sth Africa win the next 2 tests we go second. As for 'years of losses', you are overstating things a bit. Had we beaten Sth Africa at home at the end of 2012 (and we only missed out narrowly) we would have been no.1. In the 12 months previous to that we played 6 test series of which we lost 1, drew 2 & won 3 (2 away from home). In the following 12 months we won 2 test series & lost 2. A poor return by our standards, but still not bad.

You cannot have a reliable and credible championship of a format where you cannot guarantee a winner and a loser. In such a situation, regardless of "tantrums", the current system is the best.
                My comments were directed more broadly at the gutting of the ICC. The proposed Championship of Test Cricket is but one likely casualty.

Speaking of a while ago, India was No. 1 in Test cricket a lot more recently than Australia was, if I am not mistaken. We are rebuilding after the retirement of our greats also much more recently that your rebuild post the retirement of yours. Yet we've won a World Cup and a Champions Trophy during that. When and which was the last serious trophy you've won in world cricket (can't recall, but it must have been a while ago)?
                We won the most recent of our 4 World Cups in 2007. The 3rd in a row. At no point did out 'World Champion' status from that tournament mean anything in the Test arena. We were the no.1 Test nation at some point in every year from 1995-2009.

World cricket has two official World Cups, and we've won both, and are the current reigning World Champions of the 50 over format.
                None of which matters in Test cricket. Personally I don't care if you (or anyone else) beats us in every limited overs match outside of 50 over a side World Cups for the rest of my life. I can barely remember the last 1 day game I saw. I can remember Tests I attended back to the 1970s.

I would agree to that. We do have a paucity of good world beating bowlers. Then again, we own almost every record worth owning as batsmen. Just to put things into perspective.
                ....and your batsmen made a lot of those runs on flat tracks on the subcontinent. Just to put things in perspective. Individual records are nice, but a distant second place to national success.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not, but we are on an upward trajectory. Unless Sth Africa win the next 2 tests we go second. As for 'years of losses', you are overstating things a bit. Had we beaten Sth Africa at home at the end of 2012 (and we only missed out narrowly) we would have been no.1. In the 12 months previous to that we played 6 test series of which we lost 1, drew 2 & won 3 (2 away from home). In the following 12 months we won 2 test series & lost 2. A poor return by our standards, but still not bad.
                  My point is that even if you become No. 2, you are not No. 1. Not by a fair margin currently. And by becoming No. 2, you are simply reaching the position we currently hold, and would displace us by a few points (I think 2) at best. Just to put things in perspective vis a vis the current test cricket pecking order. Yes, Johnson has brought you back from the dead. But Johnson is one bowler, and a fast bowler is one injury away from a lost series.

My comments were directed more broadly at the gutting of the ICC. The proposed Championship of Test Cricket is but one likely casualty.
                  Your comment came across as less than broad when sideswiping Indian "tantrums." :) But regardless, what format would you propose for a test "championship" better than what we have had for some years now? A round robin? Hardly fair given the permutations and combinations of home vs away spanning many seasons.

We won the most recent of our 4 World Cups in 2007. The 3rd in a row. At no point did out 'World Champion' status from that tournament mean anything in the Test arena. We were the no.1 Test nation at some point in every year from 1995-2009.
                  And we have won the second of our 2 in 2011. The shift of power is apparent. Even when you were No. 1 in tests more than half a decade ago, we were the only team to run you close for much of the period you refer to. Were it not for partisan histrionics in the Sydneygate series, we could and probably would have beaten you at home as well.

None of which matters in Test cricket. Personally I don't care if you (or anyone else) beats us in every limited overs match outside of 50 over a side World Cups for the rest of my life. I can barely remember the last 1 day game I saw. I can remember Tests I attended back to the 1970s.
                  I like test cricket too, but that does not mean that I do not like one day cricket. The only official format cricket has of deciding top dog. And we are the current reigning World Champions, any way we dissect current form. And will be holding on to that cup for another year at the very least.Of course, we are also also the current Champions of Champions, holding as we do the Champions Trophy as well.

....and your batsmen made a lot of those runs on flat tracks on the subcontinent.
                  Cricket is a game played by two countries. After one team finishes batting, the other team has a shot at batting as well. Just to put things in perspective vis a vis flat tracks.

And if you see our greats, they would invariably also have a great away record in the span of their entire career. Some like Dravid actually a better away than home record.

At the end of the day, cricket is a batsman's game. The team that scores more runs wins - in any format. And we have always excelled as batsmen. There is no debate. Your best (Ponting) is probably third after two of ours (Tendulkar and Dravid). And by sheer talent, I would probably have to even place Lara ahead.
                  Last edited by sated buddha; 19 Feb 14,, 12:31. Reason: Added smiley. Alll in good fun, one cricket lover to another!

Comment

My point is that even if you become No. 2, you are not No. 1. Not by a fair margin currently. And by becoming No. 2, you are simply reaching the position we currently hold, and would displace us by a few points (I think 2) at best. Just to put things in perspective vis a vis the current test cricket pecking order.
                    Yes, I know. Lets talk in 12 months.

Yes, Johnson has brought you back from the dead. But Johnson is one bowler, and a fast bowler is one injury away from a lost series.
                    The only area where we have insane depth right now is fast bowlers. There are guys who would struggle to get into a 2nd Australian team who would walk into most teams in the world right now. Don't get sucked in by the hype. Mitch makes us more dangerous, but he isn't the team.

Your comment came across as less than broad when sideswiping Indian "tantrums." :)
                    Our nations have just participated in the destruction of international cricket for the most selfish reasons and the reason is well known. it will impact all aspects of the game, sadly. India produces great cricketers. Same can't be said for the hangers on.

And we have won the second of our 2 in 2011. The shift of power is apparent.
                    Start winning away from home regularly & we will talk about 'shifts of power'.

Even when you were No. 1 in tests more than half a decade ago, we were the only team to run you close for much of the period you refer to. Were it not for partisan histrionics in the Sydneygate series, we could and probably would have beaten you at home as well.
                    Oh dear. Still on about that. Talk about sore losers.

I like test cricket too, but that does not mean that I do not like one day cricket.
                    Good for you. Not much relevant to what I like, however.

The only official format cricket has of deciding top dog.
                    ....in one day cricket. Overclaiming just makes you look silly.:)

And we are the current reigning World Champions, any way we dissect current form. And will be holding on to that cup for another year at the very least.Of course, we are also also the current Champions of Champions, holding as we do the Champions Trophy as well.
                    None of which is even the slightest reason why we want to beat you in the coming test series. Again, telling us why we want something just makes you look silly.

Cricket is a game played by two countries. After one team finishes batting, the other team has a shot at batting as well. Just to put things in perspective vis a vis flat tracks.
                    Yes, but your teams got to play on your flat tracks more often than anyone else.

And if you see our greats, they would invariably also have a great away record in the span of their entire career. Some like Dravid actually a better away than home record.
                    Invariably? Really?

At the end of the day, cricket is a batsman's game. The team that scores more runs wins - in any format. And we have always excelled as batsmen.
                    Actually, no. As you observed earlier it is usually necessary to get 20 wickets to win a test. That is why even your best team of the last decade struggled to stay number 1 for any length of time. Good batting is not enough. Never has been. Batsmen just get more attention.

There is no debate. Your best (Ponting) is probably third after two of ours (Tendulkar and Dravid). And by sheer talent, I would probably have to even place Lara ahead.
                    I'm assuming you are talking about the last 15-20 years.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have no idea what you guys talk about and am thankful about my ignorance.:Dancing-Banana:
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Bigfella its nice to see the Aussies (players and fans) get some of their swagger back.

Will make it that much sweeter. :)

15-20 years? Try all-time. Yes, I'm including the pre-war era here as well.

On the flat tracks, again, regardless of whther we play more on them or not, the fact remains there is someone we are playing against, who also gets to bat on the same flat track. Its a level playing field so denying that is actually making you look both silly and sour grape whiny too. :)

Comment

Bigfella its nice to see the Aussies (players and fans) get some of their swagger back.

Will make it that much sweeter. :)
                          Feel free to predict an outcome for the series.

15-20 years? Try all-time. Yes, I'm including the pre-war era here as well.
                          In which case your list is missing some names. Rather a lot actually. Unless you are focussed purely on quantity...an inferior measure. Bradman & Hobbes are clear 1 & 2. Three is tricker, but Sutcliffe is a good bet. Tendulkar mightmake the top 5, but there are oh so many great batsmen to consider. Hammond, Hutton, Hanif Mohammed, Gavaskar (who I would rate India's greatest), Sobers, Headley, Trumper, Miandad, Kallis, Pollock, Barrington & many more.

On the flat tracks, again, regardless of whther we play more on them or not, the fact remains there is someone we are playing against, who also gets to bat on the same flat track. Its a level playing field so denying that is actually making you look both silly and sour grape whiny too. :)
                          And once again you miss the point completely (or deliberately). How many tests do Indian players get to play on those tracks compared to other batsmen? More, obviously. Therefore you get more chances to make runs on them. That is entirely the point.
                          sigpic

Comment

I have agree with BF on the recent shameful gutting of the ICC.
                            Now evil BCCI will loot not just from India but from the whole cricketing world.
                            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                              I have agree with BF on the recent shameful gutting of the ICC.
                              Now evil BCCI will loot not just from India but from the whole cricketing world.
                              ...with the help of England & Australia. It will take a while for the full consequences of this to flow through, but they will not be positive.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X