Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    I liked the ceremony. It was so Russian (in positive way), I only missed snow :red:
    Yes, I agree it was very Russian.
    And there were some funny moments - funny for Russians mostly, I suppose. Like Nikolai Valuyev being a traffic policeman, or famous Russian actors in the short movie about Greeks, although I didn't catch what was the point of this movie - but anyway that was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
      OK before I get all hot and bothered….Might even watch the Russians curling….but I have to ask. Is Alexander a man's name or a woman's name in Russia? Being the Olympics you can't be too careful.
      Scantily Clad Russian Olympians Are Making Us Uncomfortable
      Wonder how cheerful you'd have been if you have seen the other members of the team. To add some disapointment, Lyudmila Privivkova was cut off from the national team for not going well with the others ;)
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSecond View Post
        According to the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Russian Olympic skiers have helped out the German skiers and biathletes by lending them the equipment to prepare the skiing gear, since the Germans had problems with their own gear.

The President of the German Olympic Sports Union, DOSB, Alphonse Hermann, said that it’s the first time that he’s come across this kind of display of solidarity since he was elected to his current office. He called attention to the fact that the Russian team has helped their immediate rival. If the Russians had refused to help, the German skiers would have had 40 pairs of brand new non-ground skis to compete on, he added.

According to Hermann, the teams of Austria and Switzerland had previously turned down the Germans’ request. There are two sides to every question, the German sports functionary said philosophically.

Russian Olympic skiers help out Germans
        Good for them, that is what the Olympic spirit is all about. Kind of a shame Austria and Switzerland forgot that.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Wonder how cheerful you'd have been if you have seen the other members of the team. To add some disapointment, Lyudmila Privivkova was cut off from the national team for not going well with the others ;)
          Well thats a shame but the saying goes, " No matter how beautiful she is there is always someone who is sick of her crap". BTW don't show those pictures to the Colonel. We don't want him horning in on the action.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
            Source

The judges rated this a 9.5

Thats what you get when you lock tankie in the bathroom and someone yells, "OPEN BAR!!"

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              Thats what you get when you lock tankie in the bathroom and someone yells, "OPEN BAR!!"
              Pretty much.

Comment

I learned to ice skate at an early age (there is no shortage of ice and snow in Ukraine) and I keep abreast of national/international championship competitions.

I have to say, I am again greatly impressed with Yulia Lipnitskaya of the Russian Federation who is the current European Ladies Champion. Although only 15 years old (she made the Olympic age cutoff by 23 days), Ms Lipnitskaya dazzled everyone with her short program (You Don't Give Up on Love by Mark Minkov) and rocketed into first place. Compact, lithe, and graceful, she nails her jumps with ease and precision. I have never seen anyone with better spins... simply extraordinary. She has the advantage of skating on home ice before a home crowd. If her free skate program (Schindler's List (soundtrack) by John Williams) matches her short program, she could very well win the Olympic Ladies Gold.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                  Yet another indicator of India dysfunction...

India ranks near bottom of nuclear material security index
                  What it has to do with Olympics ?

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
                    What it has to do with Olympics ?
                    We've moved on in the past month Captain India. Got anything to say about the games? Bore me to tears personally. My favourite moment is Australia's 'accidental medallist':

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Lipnitskaya is ok, she's like little nice butterfly. :)
                      What grabs attention of Russians - maybe most of all about fugure skating - Evgeny Plyuschenko's come back. :wors:
                      Though that would be kinda miracle if he won gold, but he shows great shape and exellent skating.
                      And just yesterday we saw the alive legend Bjorndalen became the oldest Olympic Champion ever. That means there is nothing impossible. So... Plyuschenko, go!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSecond View Post
                        Yes, I agree it was very Russian.
                        And there were some funny moments - funny for Russians mostly, I suppose. Like Nikolai Valuyev being a traffic policeman, or famous Russian actors in the short movie about Greeks, although I didn't catch what was the point of this movie - but anyway that was funny.
                        Maybe to emulate the beginning of Olympiad , where it all started . :)

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7...-olympic-games

Comment

• Originally posted by MrSecond View Post
                          Lipnitskaya is ok, she's like little nice butterfly. :)
                          This 15-year-old may be the best story of these Winter Olympics. The skating world exploded in Tweets after her short-program performance.

Network commentary by skating greats Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir...

No doubt her long-program will draw a full house and a huge network audience worldwide.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Lipnitskaya, a ballerina on ice. Wonderful to watch.
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                              Lipnitskaya, a ballerina on ice. Wonderful to watch.
                              Indeed. I had little vertigo moment from just watching all that spinning.
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• I just hate that the judges decide the winners and losers. The olympics just began and already there have been claims of collusion by the judges. Nothing new I suppose. Figure skaters are athletes and damned good at what they do but figure skating is the original "reality show". Drama, drama, drama.

Comment

Working...
                                X