No announcement yet.

Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has just finished watching the ceremony.
    Cool, amazing, beautiful! Fantastic! I enjoyed it very much.

Comment

The most luxury ceremony ever. :danc:

Comment

I liked the ceremony. It was so Russian (in positive way), I only missed snow :red:
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

...and yes, that's true :slap:

Translation:
          It wasn't stolen, just haven't finished yet.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            I liked the ceremony. It was so Russian (in positive way), I only missed snow :red:
            Was traveling with the mother of an American skier who was flying to Sochi in an emergency because one of his skis had broken and she was getting him a new pair. She was discussing his training with his mates. Seems they are using some different kind of artificial snow for the slopes that is making things very difficult for western skiers. Lots of falls and accidents in practice apparently. What struck me was how matter of factly she was also in the same breath discussing the very real possibility (and of course her hopes and prayers) that he would get Gold (I'm forgetting his name). And here she was traveling like any other normal person. We really need to figure out a way to get golds. I admire China a lot for how they have come up so quickly in sports. I know of their system and their special schools etc. but I also know being an ex sportsman myself that there is no winning without a huge amount of sacrifice and pain. Lots of pain.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
              Was traveling with the mother of an American skier who was flying to Sochi in an emergency because one of his skis had broken and she was getting him a new pair. She was discussing his training with his mates. Seems they are using some different kind of artificial snow for the slopes that is making things very difficult for western skiers. Lots of falls and accidents in practice apparently. What struck me was how matter of factly she was also in the same breath discussing the very real possibility (and of course her hopes and prayers) that he would get Gold (I'm forgetting his name). And here she was traveling like any other normal person. We really need to figure out a way to get golds. I admire China a lot for how they have come up so quickly in sports. I know of their system and their special schools etc. but I also know being an ex sportsman myself that there is no winning without a huge amount of sacrifice and pain. Lots of pain.
              The guy went to the olympics with one pair of skis? Unbelievable.
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                The guy went to the olympics with one pair of skis? Unbelievable.
                He went with 3 pairs. One broke in training. Apparently these are not the kind you can go to a store and pick off the shelf. Or maybe he was getting the pre-competition jitters and just wanted mom by his side. :)
                Last edited by sated buddha; 08 Feb 14,, 09:21.

Comment

Moved to the Sports forum now that competition has commenced
                  sigpic

Comment

First gold goes to USA.

Superb run by Kotsenburg.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Three of the five Israeli athletes competing at Sochi were born in Ukraine
                      sigpic

Comment

Trapped in a bathroom without any way of escaping, U.S. Olympic bobsledder Johnny Quinn was left with just one alternative. Break it down.

Source

The judges rated this a 9.5
                        sigpic

Comment

OK before I get all hot and bothered….Might even watch the Russians curling….but I have to ask. Is Alexander a man's name or a woman's name in Russia? Being the Olympics you can't be too careful.
                          Scantily Clad Russian Olympians Are Making Us Uncomfortable

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                            Is Alexander a man's name or a woman's name in Russia? Being the Olympics you can't be too careful.
                            Alexander (Aleksandr/Александр) is male.

Alexandra (Aleksandra/Александра) is the female counterpart.

PS. Her true name is Alexandra Saitova and her friends would call her Alexa
                            Last edited by Minskaya; 08 Feb 14,, 20:38. Reason: added PS
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                              Alexander (Aleksandr/Александр) is male.

Alexandra (Aleksandra/Александра) is the female counterpart.

PS. Her true name is Alexandra Saitova and her friends would call her Alexa
                              So her name under the picture is a typo. I feel better already. Thanks.

Comment

According to the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Russian Olympic skiers have helped out the German skiers and biathletes by lending them the equipment to prepare the skiing gear, since the Germans had problems with their own gear.

The President of the German Olympic Sports Union, DOSB, Alphonse Hermann, said that it’s the first time that he’s come across this kind of display of solidarity since he was elected to his current office. He called attention to the fact that the Russian team has helped their immediate rival. If the Russians had refused to help, the German skiers would have had 40 pairs of brand new non-ground skis to compete on, he added.

According to Hermann, the teams of Austria and Switzerland had previously turned down the Germans’ request. There are two sides to every question, the German sports functionary said philosophically.

Russian Olympic skiers help out Germans

Comment

Working...
                                X