Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
    Arguing aside, for me what will determine whether or not I watch is the amount of junk they put on the screen, whether they are showing the sport or someone talk about it.

Once upon a time, I was watching figure skating on NBC I think and was fascinated by the clear picture, of being about to see it on a big screen (then a CRT).

But over the years, I have become increasingly distressed because watching sports has become not seeing the sport but having to watch it like a Terminator in that they fill the screen with extra stuff, be it advertising for other shows, scores from other games, or whatever.

I now have a 40 and 42 inch flat screen. Show me the sport in all its graphic display and show me nothing else.............................................. .

..................................otherwise, the heck with it and I'll watch a classic movie instead.

LOL. If you want the sport and nothing but the sport you absolutely have to ditch network TV and get a different feed.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
      LOL. If you want the sport and nothing but the sport you absolutely have to ditch network TV and get a different feed.
      Tell me about it!

When I got on that kick a few years back, I tried to go into ESPN world, thinking 2 channels, the entire world out there, lots of beautiful imagery.

ESPN today is one of the things that makes me scream so loud, quietly, about TV today. It is so much about people talking about sports, behind a counter, interviewing a Head, and so little about actually showing sports.

You're the Sports Network and you are telling me that in this world, there isn't some sport going on somewhere 24 hours a day? I don't care if it's the bungie jumping finals in Tahiti, show sports, don't talk about it!

But......when they do, it is in Terminator fashion

with so much extra information provided. Some of it that applies to the game like what they have done to football, some of it the sport like showing the scores for other games, bottom screen advertising, and so forth.

But I don't want it like that, I want to enjoy the view........so for the most part, I have give up on watching sports on TV........as I have given up watching most of TV.
      Attached Files

Comment

That's why I watch snooker on EuroSport ;)
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          That's why I watch snooker on EuroSport ;)
          If it works for you, I'm glad.

We don't get that around here but even if we did, I don't think I would bother. Organized TV has burned me, perturbed me enough that I don't think I'll ever go back, don't think I'll ever again give any aspect of it a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
            If it works for you, I'm glad.

We don't get that around here but even if we did, I don't think I would bother. Organized TV has burned me, perturbed me enough that I don't think I'll ever go back, don't think I'll ever again give any aspect of it a chance.
            Actually, we don't get Terminator-like screens over here. They come with a price. Macedonian national TV being the broadcaster of the Olympics means two things. No stats, but the time/result and poor commentary.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
              No surprise. Cronyism, corruption, and bad decisions. The selection of Sochi is in itself astonishing.
              Nicely done infogrphic.

http://sochi.fbk.info/en/award/

Comment

Doktor... you can continue westward with that map and enter Ukraine. Do you like boats and fishing? Find Prip'yat/Chernobyl up by the border with Belarus. You can get on a boat way up there and go all the way to the very southern tip of the Crimea. You will go through Kyiv and about six other major cities on the journey south.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                  Doktor... you can continue westward with that map and enter Ukraine. Do you like boats and fishing? Find Prip'yat/Chernobyl up by the border with Belarus. You can get on a boat way up there and go all the way to the very southern tip of the Crimea. You will go through Kyiv and about six other major cities on the journey south.
                  I am sure you have best intentions for me to see the nice side of Ukraine, but mentioning Chernobyl somehow makes the idea to stay on the map.

Comment

I am sure you have best intentions for me to see the nice side of Ukraine, but mentioning Chernobyl somehow makes the idea to stay on the map.
                    Board south of the Exclusion Zone. It is safe :) The water-voyage through Ukraine is quite remarkable.

Oh yeah, make sure you have a guide that speaks both Ukrainian and Russian.
                    sigpic

Comment

Olympic Flame in Krasnodar

In Krasnodar combine harvester was used as a carrier for Olymic Flame.

...and video here
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by MrSecond; 04 Feb 14,, 21:22.

Comment

I believe I'll just stay home and watch on TV.

Sochi Olympic hotels report construction delays - CNN.com

BBC News - Twitter storm in Russia over Sochi Olympics twin toilet

Attached Files
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

It's an innovative toilet for pair figure scating, also for pair bobsled and so on.
                          It's kinda teambuilding. :Dancing-Banana:

And we have ones for hockey teams:

Attached Files

Comment

A bathroom is different than a WW 2 latrine.

Those open toilet bays are long gone in MOST US military facilities...and you won't find the open bays in most of the Western world's civilian sector other than urinals.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Great first impressions.

Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences

Comment

Documentary from Olympic construction:

Comment

Working...
                                X