Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Norway won 7 gold, 4 silver and 7 bronze, for a total of 18 medals. Population slightly over 5 million,

I am in a party-breaking mood.
    This time of the year, just getting to the grocery store in Norway is an Olympic event.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• US-Born Wild Wins Gold for Russia in Snowboard Giant Slalom

ROSA KHUTOR, Russia, February 19 (R-Sport) – US-born snowboarder Vic Wild won a surprise Olympic gold medal for Russia in the parallel giant slalom Wednesday, minutes after his wife won bronze in the women's event.
      Washington state native Wild was half a second down to Switzerland’s Nevin Galmarini before the second run of the final at Rosa Khutor Extreme Park, but blazed back to win by two seconds as his opponent ran wide on the turns.
      Wild’s wife Alena Zavarzina, who won bronze for Russia, played a key role in his decision to switch allegiances to Russia in time for the 2011-12 season, citing the low funding for Alpine snowboard events in the US. Since then, Wild has become a snowboard heavyweight, winning world championship bronze last year and taking his first World Cup win in parallel slalom this season.
      US-Born Wild Wins Gold for Russia in Snowboard Giant Slalom | Sochi 2014 | RIA Novosti

Today local TV commentaries are saturated with jokes about the Great Russian snowboarding traditions which allow the former American to became an Olympic champion after a year of training in Russia.
      And he's not alone. Russia in an apparent attempt to win more medals in home Olympics had been trying to lure foreign athletes lately.
      Another gold and bronze medals were won by a former Olympic champion from South Korea who became a Russian citizen a year ago.

Viktor Ahn's Gold Medal Performance Leaves Koreans with Mixed Feelings

Russian short track skater Viktor Ahn, born Ahn Hyun-soo in Korea, won a gold medal at the 1,000-m race at the Sochi Olympics on Saturday, bringing Russia its first-ever gold in that event.

Many Korean sports fans applauded Ahn as he was seen on TV waving the Russian flag following his victory. But at the same time they also felt a sense of loss since Ahn was a former member of Team Korea who won three gold medals and one bronze medal at the 2006 Torino Olympics before he became a naturalized Russian citizen.
      The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Viktor Ahn's Gold Medal Performance Leaves Koreans with Mixed Feelings

Comment

• Doktor, what has happened is the NHLers have learned to adapt to the larger ice surface of international hockey...and then introduced the world to the hard nose version of hockey played in the NHL. It's an in your face hard hitting style the Europeans do not play as well.

Some make the transition and excel (see Chara, Krecji, Seidenberg and Ericson of my beloved Bruins). Others find a niche but do not become a force like they would in KHL.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• This is why the ice planet Hoth wasn't considered for the Winter Olympics...

Comment

• So. How is the Colonel going to take it when the USA hockey team thrashes Canada on friday then goes on to play for the gold.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• Who knows?

Maybe console himself with a night on the town in Montreal?

Comment

• What if Canadians find their play?
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  What if Canadians find their play?
                  You are ruining my smack talk. Hockey is king in Canada and it would be devastating if they don't win in Friday. Although I'd love the USA to win if we lose we are not going to fly our flags at half mast or anything. Hockey is just not as big on our side of the border.

Comment

• Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    You are ruining my smack talk. Hockey is king in Canada and it would be devastating if they don't win in Friday. Although I'd love the USA to win if we lose we are not going to fly our flags at half mast or anything. Hockey is just not as big on our side of the border.
                    Well Canadian play so far was disappointing. Maybe they were in just as much to win the games and save the players for the big game(s), but it was pain to watch them, knowing they can do a lot more.

Hope they will sort out and be on par so we will have a fantastic game.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Our wimmin are kicking their wimmin's butt..

USA! USA!! USA!!

First we kick their butts, then we make 'em our 51st state!

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                        Our wimmin are kicking their wimmin's butt..

USA! USA!! USA!!

First we kick their butts, then we make 'em our 51st state!
                        I'd be happy just taking British Columbia and the Yukon so I can drive to Alaska with my guns and not have "issues".

Hell I was only just poking the bear but you are not content until you lift his tail and swat him a few times.

Comment

• Ummm...

Comment

• OK....nevermind.

Comment

• Congratulations to the Canadian Women's Team on the gold and to the US Women for silver.

Well done.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• Geez... What were you saying Yeller?

Comment

Working...
                                X