No announcement yet.

Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better late than never,congratulations to Spain.I am a Fenerbahce Istanbul supporter,I follow every game,hold a season ticket and go to away games as well.

Comment

• About time they got it right IMO , good or bad ???

Tests on using goal-line technology for football matches are to be extended for another year - as players' controversial 'snoods' are to be banned

The decision by the sport's bosses to continue looking at the gadgetry comes after 10 systems failed to meet governing body Fifa's requirements during testing last month.

The International Football Association Board (Ifab) has banned players from wearing neck-warming snoods from July 1 this year.

The announcements were made following an annual meeting of Ifab in Newport, Wales.

It has also approved the use of two additional referees' assistants during games at the 2012 European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.

This follows successful testing with Uefa president Michel Platini's five-official system in the Europa League.

Ifab is a 125-year-old body comprising officials from England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, plus Fifa representing the other 204 football nations and referees, coaches and players worldwide.

Each British member has one vote, Fifa has four and a proposed new rule needs six votes to be passed.

The search is still on for a system that meets Fifa's exacting requirements over goal-line technology.

Last year, Ifab - which makes the rules that govern the game - voted 6-2 against introducing technology that would show if the ball had crossed the goal-line.

But the Frank Lampard goal that a referee missed during England's defeat by Germany in last summer's World Cup has focused minds.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter, arriving ahead of the 125th Ifab meeting in Newport, appeared ready to drop his opposition to goal-line technology.

He told Sky News: "I've never been resistant to anything. But it must be done the right way. And that's why we activated again this discussion in the international board.

"And then we will have a look at how it works."

Several of Blatter's colleagues on Fifa's Executive Committee (Exco) - including UK member Geoff Thompson and Asia's representative Mohamed bin Hammam - are in favour of goal-line technology, if it is reliable and relayed swiftly to the referee.

However, tests on 10 systems at Fifa headquarters last month did not identify one that could live up to its requirements.

But news that football chiefs have not dismissed the technology may encourage potential suppliers to redouble their efforts to find a solution.

US Fifa Exco member Chuck Blazer told Sky News: "It's (Fifa's) intention is to go to something that works. So as soon as there's something that works, I think they're happy to talk about trying it."

But Uefa president Michel Platini remains staunchly opposed to its introduction, preferring an extension of the experiment with goalmouth referees.

Goal-line controversies have raged down the years, whether it is England's third goal of the 1966 World Cup final or Roy Carroll dropping a Pedro Mendes shot over the line and getting away with it in 2005 - or Lampard's recent goal-that-was-not-given, which may now lead to the introduction of technology.

Some of the systems tested by Fifa are camera-based, whereas others depend on a magnetic field and an electronic chip in the ball.

Comment

• Liverpool are making a dash for the line after stuffing manure 3 1 yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
          Liverpool are making a dash for the line after stuffing manure 3 1 yesterday
          A good win against United. Not many score a hat-trick against them. I think the last time was about 10 or 12 yrs ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            A good win against United. Not many score a hat-trick against them. I think the last time was about 10 or 12 yrs ago.
            was it you Dave ?...........
            Not really been able to comment to much on Footy the last few years being a Leeds supporter ......... hopefully we are on our way back and those classic Leeds v Liverpool matches will be like they used to be Dave............... Hows Darlington doing Eric
            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
              Not really been able to comment to much on Footy the last few years being a Leeds supporter ......... hopefully we are on our way back and those classic Leeds v Liverpool matches will be like they used to be Dave............... Hows Darlington doing Eric

Who

Comment

I thought Eric was a Barrow boy these days...not the football type but the barrow-boy type..."tomatoes 3lb a £pound Gov"!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  I thought Eric was a Barrow boy these days...not the football type but the barrow-boy type..."tomatoes 3lb a £pound Gov"!!

Pffffffffffft trogladite , its kilo's now ,

Comment

Leeds are not too far behind the leaders and there's not a lot in it. QPR will take some stopping and Burnley have a couple of games in hand but anything can and no doubt will happen before the end of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      Pffffffffffft trogladite , its kilo's now ,
                      I'm not too sure on that.

Daily Express, 17 Febrary 2001
                      True or false? Thanks to the evil Euro-rules, Steven Thoburn, the brave British stallholder being persecuted by the weights and measures people in Sunderland this week, isn't allowed to sell his fruit and veg by the pound.

Since you ask, it's false. If he wants, he can sell tomatoes by the pound or bushel or cubic foot or the Wellington bootful. He can invent his own measure - the plotz, of which there are 17 to the nitzplitz - and sell potatoes in seven plotz bags if he likes.

Comment

• Ah yes the metric martyr :Dancing-Banana::Dancing-Banana:

Comment

• Sorry the post is a bit Late, Just soberd up after the Win against the Much Hated Heath,I had rather Hoped Taggart would Choke on his Chewy.

Comment

• Sorry for reviving this thread. Just can't help it.

It is said whatever City can do, United can do better. Oops.
                            夫唯不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

Comment

Working...
                            X