Best Linebacker in NFL history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Linebacker in NFL history

I almost made this a 2 person poll, but I guess some may disagree with the two I think it is between. Namely - Ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor.

Taylor was more of a pressure the QB style LB, while Lewis was more of a control the middle singlehandedly, and their stats reflect this. Taylor had 132.5 career sacks while Lewis has 33.5 but Lewis has 28 INT's compared to LT's 9. Tackles aren't tracked well, but most would agree Lewis had more. Then again, Lewis is a MLB, and Taylor was a OLB, so this isn't surprising. in a way, they play two different positions.

Others of note - Dick Butkis, Derrek Thomas, Jack Lambert, Mike Singletary.

Feel free to list others
    Jack Lambert
    18.18%
    Lawrence Taylor
    18.18%
    Dick Butkis
    36.36%
    Ray Lewis
    18.18%
    Mike Singletary
    0.00%
    Derrek Thomas
    0.00%
    Ray Nitschke
    9.09%
    Other
    0.00%

Butkus,Nitchke

Comment

I voted for Jack but Nitchke was a very close second.
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Singletary was the heart of the best defence ever, so that man gets my vote. Them 85 Bears were beastly.
        "Life: nobody gets out alive."

Comment

Tedy Bruschi

Dude came back from a stroke
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Butkus, the man bit a referee during a game!!

Comment

Originally posted by Freeloader View Post
              I almost made this a 2 person poll, but I guess some may disagree with the two I think it is between. Namely - Ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor.

Taylor was more of a pressure the QB style LB, while Lewis was more of a control the middle singlehandedly, and their stats reflect this. Taylor had 132.5 career sacks while Lewis has 33.5 but Lewis has 28 INT's compared to LT's 9. Tackles aren't tracked well, but most would agree Lewis had more. Then again, Lewis is a MLB, and Taylor was a OLB, so this isn't surprising. in a way, they play two different positions.

Others of note - Dick Butkis, Derrek Thomas, Jack Lambert, Mike Singletary.

Feel free to list others
              Quaterback sacks were not listed as a stat until 1982, so while Lawrence Taylor has the most quarterback sacks by a linebacker, you cannot really compare his stats to those who came before him like Lambert. Butkus, etc. However that being said Taylor also was Defensive Player of the Year 3 times and once named the MVP of the league. Only Alan Paige among defenders can claim that last honor.

I would say though that Butkus has the edge over Taylor. He had more interceptions and more fumbles recovered in fewer seasons than Taylor did. Those are stats that can be compared since quarterback sacks did not exist in Butkus's time.

I'd say Butkus number one, Nitschke number two, Lambert number three, Taylor number four, and Ray Lewis further down. There is also no mention of Seau who has more sacks and more tackles then Lewis does.

Comment

Bill George? Sam Huff? Chuck Bednarik?

Missing the three guys that defined the position in the fifties and early sixties. No Willie Lanier either. Hmmm...

Loved Nitschke but then I grew up on the Lombardi Packers. Good modern era list though.
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Joe Schmidt

Forgot Schmidt from the Detroit Lions. Awesome linebacker.
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Tommy Nobis was also great for the Atlanta Falcons and a member of the
                    National Football League 1960s All-Decade Team.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post

Loved Nitschke but then I grew up on the Lombardi Packers. Good modern era list though.
                      Dave Robinson, also a member of the National Football League 1960s All-Decade Team

Comment

Robinson

Damn good linebacker but you had a better find there with Nobis. Hadn't torn up his knees even worse than Butkus he might have been the best.

Comment

Jack Ham, elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame either 1st or 2nd year eligible.

Comment

Working...
                          X