Ice Hockey World Championship Finale , Canada - Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Hockey World Championship Finale , Canada - Russia

QUEBEC CITY – Finally, the dream has come true. Canada will face the Russians in a World Championship gold medal game for the first time since this format was invented in 1992.

And for the first time since the 1992 Albertville Olympics, where Russia won gold, these two hockey superpowers will play for a title in men’s hockey.

Perhaps the highest level of hockey ever reached was in the 1987 Canada Cup between the archrivals. Canada won the trophy in a three-game final series, losing 6-5 in Montreal before posting back-to-back 6-5 wins in Hamilton.

Both Canada and the Soviet Union had some of the best players of all time in their lineup. Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Mark Messier, Sergei Makarov, Igor Larionov, Vyacheslav Fetisov. It was amazing.

So will be the gold medal game at the 2008 IIHF World Championship be the best of all time?

Why not? At the very least, in many ways it is the best possible final to celebrate 100 years of international hockey.

At this tournament, talent has triumphed over tactics. The game has been played on offence more than on defence. Now the two teams with the best offensive firepower will clash for gold.

Dany Heatley versus Alexander Ovechkin. It’s a great prospect.

Canada and Russia are truly deserving of playing in the final in the year we celebrate 100 years of international hockey.

These two nations dominated most of the IIHF’s first century. The Canadians have won 24 gold medals and the Russians 23, 22 of them in the jerseys of the former USSR.

They have both had more influence than any other countries on the development of the game we love. The Canadians invented hockey. But the Russians perfected the game, and have brought it to a higher level since they debuted in international competition in 1954 by winning their first gold medal.

Without the Russians, hockey would still resemble the “good old days” of the NHL, with more goons than Dany Heatleys, and more clutching and grabbing than tic-tac-toe plays and scoring.

On the other hand, hockey would not have its special brand of dynamism, toughness, passion and intensity without the Canadians, and it would look more like field hockey.

Canadian poet Al Purdy once called hockey a combination of murder and ballet.

Now, we’re leaning more toward the ballet.

On paper, I believe the Russians are the much better team. They are well-balanced, they are faster and they have had better goaltending in this tournament since adding Evgeni Nabokov. It’s the first time since 1983 (when Vladislav Tretiak was their goalie) that they have had truly world-class goaltending at the Worlds.

But the Canadians have always found ways in the past to beat better teams. The jersey with the Maple Leaf gives them extra energy.

This time, they’ll need a lot of this extra energy to become the first team since the 1986 Soviets to win the gold medal on home ice.

However, for what the Russians and the Canadians have done so far for our game, both deserve to win a gold medal in the IIHF’s centennial year.

This is going to be great , I say 6-5 Canada OT

Both are also undefeated coming into the gold medal game. Russians and Canadians both have so much fire power, its going to be a nightmare for the defencemen.

I say Canada, but not sure if its going to be high scoring or low scoring, we'll just have to wait and see!

Comment

Wow im suprized at how little interest shown in this topic , this is a true classic , anyone that remembers the summit series and canada cup would agree .

Comment

РОССИЯ ЧЕМПИООООН!!!!!!!

2 canadians: good game;)
        Last edited by Aryol; 18 May 08,, 21:06.

Comment

АААААААААААААААААААА!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok, we are getting congratulations here.

Comment

congratulations !
              If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

This trully was a classic game , one of the best finals I ever watched , amazing game , congrats to all the Russians on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinister View Post
                  This trully was a classic game , one of the best finals I ever watched , amazing game , congrats to all the Russians on this forum.
                  thanks! It was really splendid game

Comment

Originally posted by Aryol View Post
                    thanks! It was really splendid game

Congrats. I like Ovechkin and I wish well for the Washington Capitals, BUT Team Russia better enjoy this one, because Canada is taking GOLD at the 2010 olympics hehe

Comment

Great game that ended with a rather stupid rule that must change. Congrats to the Russkies though, you've knocked 2 years off my life because of the stressful, teeth grinding, object throwing, tizzy that followed the overtime goal. Took it like a man though I need a new rubber brick!

Comment

any videos available of this game??, I have only seen a few league games in the US and I really enjoyed the aggresiveness and action in the game...This game must have been insane

Comment

This is the best I could find , 7 min video of all highlights of the game.

YouTube - IHWC 2008 GOLD MEDAL GAME â–ˆ RUSSIA â–ˆ CANADA â–ˆ 5:4

Its German lang though

Comment

РОССИЯ ЛУЧШАЯ! УРА!!!

We remind to canadians our Anthem that they knew from childhood!
                            Russia is the best!

Video that you must see (YouTube)

Comment

Alexander The Great

Comment

Working...
                              X