Best Ski Resorts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ski Resorts?

I just took up skiing last year when I got my oldest daughter on skis (it's humbling to have your little kid whooping your a$$ on the slopes). Anyways, the plan is to get the rest of the family on skis in the next 1-3 years and I'd love to take some ski vacations in the future.

Any recommendations based on your favorite places to hit the slopes?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by Shek View Post
    I just took up skiing last year when I got my oldest daughter on skis (it's humbling to have your little kid whooping your a$$ on the slopes). Anyways, the plan is to get the rest of the family on skis in the next 1-3 years and I'd love to take some ski vacations in the future.

Any recommendations based on your favorite places to hit the slopes?
    Taos...no snow boarders allowed!

Comment

Shanty Creek/Schuss Mountain,northwestern lower penninsula Michigan.Slopes are nice and well-groomed although not huge,accomodations are top-notch.I'm not a downhill skier Shek but their cross-country trails are very nice also:) .
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

To me, the best ski resort is one with a nice warm lodge, good hot-buttered Rum and a big window to watch other people fall off the lift or run into trees. I had a supervisor who broke his back on a tobaggon when they went over the snow plow drift and land in the parking lot.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Whistler, BC , Park City, UT..been to these places and they are nice. Thsi year I might go to Okemo, VT. I was there in the summer and the town looks great.
          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Bachelor

Your money's welcome in Bend. Consider also Big Sky, just outside Bozeman. Bend and Bozeman offer very affordable and top notch skiing, particularly Bend. The snow is awesome this year.

If you've friends out at Lewis then you know all about Snoqualmie. My niece is up there every weekend doing instruction for 6-9 year olds. Stay in Seattle, enjoy the amenities and be an hour from the slopes.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Or got to Vancouver where you have 2 in 20 minutes distance a third 45 min and Whistler 2 hours away. Added bonus is that the American dollar stretches a bit farther in Canada.
              Originally posted by GVChamp
              College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Expat Canuck

"...and Whistler 2 hours away."

And a damned neat drive at that.:)
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Expat Canuck View Post
                  Or got to Vancouver where you have 2 in 20 minutes distance a third 45 min and Whistler 2 hours away. Added bonus is that the American dollar stretches a bit farther in Canada.
                  Oh yeah, when I lived there, Grouse took me 5 mins, but look where I am now
                  A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

The Chinese Alps ,, Beijing

Comment

Tankie, Beijing is on flat land.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Tankie, Beijing is on flat land.
                        Ohhhhhhhh , i know that Col , but seeing as they are getting their more than fair share of snow at the mo , i thought , why waste it , go build a slope and have fun ,,, unlike the passengers who cant get home ,, happy new year huh ?

And its also a reason why the Irish dont go water ski,ing , they cant find a lake with a slope on it
                        Last edited by tankie; 02 Feb 08,, 07:53.

Comment

Any Ski Resort in the Bernese Alps - They're expensive but it's a beautiful place.

I've never actually Skiied anywhere else, though I've heard good things about the Italian resorts, and you can even see a couple from the highest Swiss slopes (keeping an eye on the competition fruend ;)).
                          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Skiing fool

When I lived in San Jose I used to ski every Wednesday at Bear Valley, lift tickets were half off. It's a three hour drive so you didn't have to get up "oh dark thirty". You got up at six to make the lifts when they opened at 9:30. Ski a "half day" till 1:30 and make it back in time to avoid the worst of rush hour traffic. Half off a half day lift ticket made skiing pretty cheap as I already owned skis. Broke up the week. :))
                            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              To me, the best ski resort is one with a nice warm lodge, good hot-buttered Rum and a big window to watch other people fall off the lift or run into trees.

We are in agreement Rusty, I've never had the urge even once to strap wooden slats to my feet and hurtle down a slope or mountain. Don't see the sense in it. Snow-shoeing - now there is a winter sport I can get excited about.
                              Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Working...
                              X