Afghans beat British army at cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghans beat British army at cricket

ENGLAND'S cricket shame plunged new depths after a team of Royal Marines were hammered - by the Afghan National Army.

The crack soldiers crashed to a resounding eight wicket defeat after being bowled out for just 56 in 14 overs without one playing reaching double figures.

Afghans have only been playing the game since about 1992 but that did not stop the novice opponents knocking off the runs inside 12 overs.

Members of 45 Commando Group Royal Marines who are based in Helmland Povince, southern Afghanistan, were hoping to restore some pride as England face a humiliating 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Australia. But they were on the backfoot straightaway.

Lt Rob Cooper, who organised the one off 'Test' to jointly celebrate New Year and the Islamic Festival of Eid, said: "The skill level of the Afhans was brilliant. We soon realised we were in trouble when they opened the bowling.

Afghans originally learned their skills in the vast refugee camps of Pakistan. The Taliban regime once banned it because they thought it was an American game. On the fall of the Taliban in 2001, hundreds of enthusiasts came home and brought the game with them."

Added Lt Cooper: "Obviously, we were disappointed to lose as badly as we did, but we still managed to enjoy the encounter. It certainly provided a good break from the operational work being done on a daily basis out here. I would also like to extend my thanks to Gray-Nicholls and Newbery for providing all the kit."

Robert Mead, of the United Kingdom Task Force in Afghanistan, said: "We can get Sky Sports out here and obviously the boys have been following the Ashes series. Unfortunately, it appears they decided to replicate England's efforts!

"I think the Afghans had a couple of pretty quick bowlers who were a bit too hot to handle. But it was a really fun day and everyone had a great time."

The Royal Marines and Commando Gunners, based in Arbroath, are currently fulfilling the role of the Operational Mentoring and Liaison Team (OMLT) on Operation Herrick, the military codename for the operation in Afghanistan.

For the last three months, they have been working alongside 3/205 Brigade of the ANA in order to improve their skill levels such that, given time, they can become a self sufficient and sustainable organisation.

Using the helicopter landing site in the Afghan camp as a pitch it was adorned with a refreshments tent, scoreboard and a PA system. Both teams kitted up in full whites provided by Gray-Nicholls and Newbery. Bats, balls, pads, wickets and gloves were also donated for the celebratory cricket clash.

In the past few years cricket has boomed in Afghanistan with the game played all around the country - all 29 provinces have a team.

Just buskashi and football are more popular than cricket. Buskashi is a bit like polo, but instead of using a ball and sticks, they use the carcass of a goat
    British Cricket Saga

LOL Even the Afghans are rubbing it in .
    Look at the bright side, things can only improve from this point on. (Unless thr British decide to play against Somalia )

That's gotta hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil View Post
      That's gotta hurt.
      You can say that twice!
      Britain is good at inventing games, and teaching them to the world. Not nearly so good at playing them though!
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

That's gotta hurt.
        Ouch...!

Comment

A victory here could really have cheered up the team in Australia....;)

May be they should have interchanged the teams..

Comment

Originally posted by MarquezRazor View Post
            A victory here could really have cheered up the team in Australia....;)

May be they should have interchanged the teams..
            What if the Afghanis win? Scary
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
              What if the Afghanis win? Scary
              'If' Jay? LOL you are an optimist

Comment

Kams r u a prophet ?i bow down to ur Wisdom Sir

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Kams r u a prophet ?i bow down to ur Wisdom Sir
                  No Sir, you don't have to be one to read the writing on the wall .

Just kidding..wish I could that for Aussies .

Comment

Kams,
                    With lot of Englishmen registering in this board, you gotta be careful man :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                      Kams,
                      With lot of Englishmen registering in this board, you gotta be careful man :)
                      Jay,how true ,please except the horses head in your bed as a present from an english cricket fan!!lol

Comment

Now thats blind fanaticism, even with a horse head on my bed, you cannot take away my glee, 5-0 loss, damn...thats painful.

Comment

That's gotta hurt.
                          Cricket is not a sport played by the rank and file in the army, their (Brit army) game is rubgy. Let the Afghans try rubgy, and they'll not know what hit them, especially with the Paras and Cdo units out there.;)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

The Afghans were trained by the Australians? ;) :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I think the Afghanis were actually the Aussie SAS in disguise, having suitably attired themselves and speaking in Pashto and the like!
                              Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Working...
                              X