No announcement yet.

Favorite Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst I'll agree that Jefferson was not christian, how do you get 'science and reason' from 'Christian principles.'

If he meant science and reason, he would have said it.
    SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
      Whilst I'll agree that Jefferson was not christian, how do you get 'science and reason' from 'Christian principles.'

Non-Christians can't talk about Christian principles? I'm not, and I do, all the time.
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

I never said that he meant "science and reason" by saying "christian principles". Where you got that from I do not know.

Comment

Jefferson said: "The First Amendment has erected a wall of separation between church and state, but that wall is a one directional wall; it keeps the government from running the church, but it makes sure Christian principles will always stay in government."

He was an educated man. Whilst he was not Christian, he certiainly knew enough about Christianity. He was not under some mistaken assumption that Christianity was science and reason.

If he thought that science and reason was the only way to go, why did he say something like the above?

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

He was an educated man. Whilst he was not Christian, he certiainly knew enough about Christianity. He was not under some mistaken assumption that Christianity was science and reason.

If he thought that science and reason was the only way to go, why did he say something like the above?
            Please tell when did I say Christianity was reason and science??????

Really I would like to know!!!

By Christian Principles he did not mean praying in school or keeping a statue of the ten commandments in the Alabama Courthouse.

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
              Keep in mind by "Christian Principles" he was not talking about being against abortian and allowing the ten commandments in Alabama.
              There is no doubt in my mind that Jefferson both oppose abortion and believe in the Ten Commandments or at least wouldn't have cared if they were on public displayed. The Ten Commandments are Christian principles. I'd imagine that Jefferson knew that.

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that Jefferson both oppose abortion and believe in the Ten Commandments or at least wouldn't have cared if they were on public displayed. The Ten Commandments are Christian principles. I'd imagine that Jefferson knew that.
                The First 4 Commandments order obediance to some invisible deity which was nothing new when the 10 commandments were written. The last 5 are common in nearly every society.

Why would Jefferson be against something that was hardly ever practiced, and since he never commented on the issue you can't assume either way. Just because you imagine he did consider the 10 Commandments as Christian Principles doesn't make it so.

You can't claim by Christian Principles he meant have the Government give money to the poor because this directly contradicts this...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So what do you think he mean when he talked about Christian principles?

Christian principles are not taking money and giving to the poor "If a man would eat, let him work", Christian principles are recognising that God is the supreme head of all nations.

The first table of the law is unenfoceable from a state level. The government could make a person go to church, read the bible, and even say prayers.

The government could not however, make someone truly worship Christ. No Christian who reads their Bible would think otherwise.

Therefore, the State can only enforce the second table of the law, requiring respect for authority, property, marriage, and life.

Basically, it would be little different from the principles of 'science and reason'. The bible would be read more in public, and be more visible. God would be recognised as the head of the nation.

It's not like people would be forcing you to do anything. If you didn't want to go to church, your loss.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

I go to mass once a month in school and it sounds like a neandrathal speaking of absolute obediance.

Comment

This one is definately my favorite.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who can never be free except made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I also like....

Nuts!

General McAullife

I remember the old movie "battle of the buldge" where the german general replyied...."vat is this....nuts? vat doe's it mean?"
                      Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Working...
                      X