Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book on pakistan written by a BR member, shiv sastry. Deals mostly with pakistani psychology.

Pdf version for download

Online version for reading

Comment

• Originally posted by nvishal View Post
      Book on pakistan written by a BR member, shiv sastry. Deals mostly with pakistani psychology.

Pdf version for download

Online version for reading
      This came out in 2007, we've had 4 years of this 'failed state' business and are yet to see a default.

MJ Akbar said the time for this term has come & gone and instead preferred the term 'toxic jelly', wobbles but does not collapse.

Comment

• Readings for Sociology, a collection of readings (articles, book excerpts, etc.) edited by Garth Massey. Was assigned reading for my SSCI-201 class about two years ago, figured I'd broaden my horizons beyond the few assigned portions and read the rest of it. Most recent books completed are The Past Through Tomorrow by Robert Heinlein and The Wager by Bill Myers.

Comment

• Just finished re-reading CASSINO by Fred Majdalany, a former infantry officer who served there. I've also finished re-reading THE LIFE AND DEATH OF THE AFRIKA KORPS by Ronald Lewin. Both superb studies. Well-researched, concisely written and absent needless embellishment.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            This came out in 2007, we've had 4 years of this 'failed state' business and are yet to see a default.
            You maybe taking the term to its literal translation. It is just a figure of speech to describe its internal chaos and the resulting effects on other nations.

Th world needs pakistan. They are playing the "facing the known than the unknown evil" game. They won't let it collapse.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            MJ Akbar said the time for this term has come & gone and instead preferred the term 'toxic jelly', wobbles but does not collapse.
            It will be a toxic jelly regardless it collapses or not.

You have to understand that keeping it afloat is easy.

PFS 4: Industries and Economy of Pakistan

PFS 10: The Pakistani Army: Power and Glory in the Family

Comment

You maybe taking the term to its literal translation.
              Perhaps, but what else is one to expect with the term 'failed state'.

Can we refer to Greece & Ireland as 'failed states' ?

If so India was also a 'failed state' in 1991 ie went bankrupt.

If you disagree then the term 'failed state' isn't appropriate, maybe some other term is required when trying to describe Pakistan.

Originally posted by nvishal View Post
              It is just a figure of speech to describe its internal chaos and the resulting effects on other nations.

Th world needs pakistan. They are playing the "facing the known than the unknown evil" game. They won't let it collapse.
              Right, so this does not tell us anything more other than Pakistan will be kept on life-support indefnitely. Even the term 'life support' is presumptous.

It will be a toxic jelly regardless it collapses or not.

You have to understand that keeping it afloat is easy.

PFS 4: Industries and Economy of Pakistan

PFS 10: The Pakistani Army: Power and Glory in the Family
              See above

Comment

• You are digging too much into semantics. It is a loose term.

It simply means the opposite of normalcy. The cause of break down of normalcy can be one or many things. It's an individual opinion but an opinion based on consensus.

Comment

You are digging too much into semantics. It is a loose term.
                  Title of a book is very important as its sets the mood. It's the first thing you read and is a key determinant in whether you go for it or not.

It simply means the opposite of normalcy. The cause of break down of normalcy can be one or many things.
                  Opposite of normalcy is abnormal or dysfunctional. I think there would not be too much disagreement even from the Pakistani's themselves over such a description as opposed to the much more negative 'failed'. Nobody likes to think of their country as such.

It's an individual opinion but an opinion based on consensus.
                  And this is the next bit, have you come across any critical reviews for this book and if so where ?

Would have thought it would have been done on the .pk boards but when i looked there was no mention of it at all. For all intents & purposes they think its just a bunch of indian propaganda. Either that or they've censored it. It's important to know what Pakistani's, honest ones ie patriots make of it. Nationalists are all about CYA and not much use. There are plenty of those on the web.

Shastry's book did not come across as propaganda to me, but there is no way for me to tell how accurate or objective he has been in it. It was educational and thats was about it. Plays well to an Indian audience but would have been even better if it took actual Pakistani's into account given the book's web origins. Something that originated on the internet and should spread that way.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Aug 11,, 20:52.

Comment

• Don't mean to get into the love fest between you two -- I am wary on any book that deals with "other nation's psychology" that is a loaded word and nothing good will come out of it.
                    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Title of a book is very important as its sets the mood. It's the first thing you read and is a key determinant in whether you go for it or not.
                      This book is not written for entertainment purposes or for the sake of keeping it neutral or balanced. It's an explicit piece of work. You can read hundred different books on pakistan available in the mainstream and you'll still feel a void because they cannot conclude things. This book does however. And it's the reason why this book will always be circulated in the underground and within the military circuits.

Some would call pakistan, noko as failed states and other don't. It's an arbitrary opinion. I have told you before and i keep telling you many times and you keep coming back and back. It's like a pissing contest. Enjoy yourself, I'm out.

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                      Don't mean to get into the love fest between you two -- I am wary on any book that deals with "other nation's psychology" that is a loaded word and nothing good will come out of it.
                      I like how you make sweeping statements like these all over this forum. It gives away a piece of you. Everyone wants to say only as much as it is required. Saying too much is a problem. It gets archived. It affects your reputation. You become a file. Take care xinhui.
                      Last edited by nvishal; 16 Aug 11,, 07:46.

Comment

• Bring nationalistic trash from BR here is a big no no. Now you call me names. Good bye.
                        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• Currently reading "Halsey's Typhoon" by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin. Great book about Typhoon Cobra and the Third Fleet. Reading about what those DD's and DE's went through is nearly enough to make you sea sick just sitting in your arm chair! Just finished "Neptune's Inferno" James Hornfischer. Outstanding book about the naval battles around Guadalcanal. Hornfischer also wrote a fantastic book about the Battle off Savo, called "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". Recommend all three books very highly to anybody with an interest in World War II in the Pacific.

Bob

Comment

• Andy, I didn't call you names. But you thought I did. This makes sense because this helps me understand you better. Notice how I'm breaking sentences to it's shortest.

There's an issue that plagues the third world. You see, many people graduate in the third world every year. And many of these people can read and write and can read some more. But many do not understand what they read. It's a very common problem in the developing world.

In my previous comment, you know that I implied something but you don't know what that is. So you panicked and charged me for calling you "names". You see andy, even if I wanted to call you a name(like say "immature"), I would not. The cynical me would never let me. I hope you don't prove my point again. Take care xinhui.

Comment

• Nvishal
                              You called me a "file", if that is not name calling, I don't know what it is. I did not panicked, it is you that have to backtrack after a 7 days cool off, which you did.

You see andy, even if I wanted to call you a name(like say "immature"), I would not.
                              You just called immature via sideway. By the way, the name Andy is reserved for my friends, you are not one of them.

Comment

• I'm currently reading "Shoot to Kill" by Richard Miers. It's a 1955 book about a Welsh brigade's experiences in the Malayan war and is similar in flavor to any given novel about the Vietnam war.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X