A little literary and film survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little literary and film survey

What’s your favourite fictional book, and literary character? The same question in regards to film, favourite film and film character?

Mine are:
    Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkin. Primarily for its beauty of language, plotting and attention to detail. Also it was a darn good adventure, and read.
    In all fairness it should have been A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, but I got hooked on Tolkin in my late teens and haven’t been able to kick the habit to this day.

Literary Character: Sydney Carton the protagonist in A Tale of Two Cities.

Film: Cool Hand Luke
    Film character: Same as above. The ultimate free spirit
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Originally posted by Amled
    What’s your favourite fictional book, and literary character?
    "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" double trilogy by Stephen R. Donaldson. Mr. Covenant is the character. First Book...
    Originally posted by Amled
    favourite film and film character?
    "Army of Darkness", character "Ash". Flick...

I have a thing for reluctant heroes. ;)
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle comprising Quicksilver, Confusion and The System Of The World, by Neil Stephenson.
      Fav. characters Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin from Patrick O'Briens series of books including Master & Commander.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

"The Book Dragon" Lead character: Nonesuch (the dragon.)

Tremors-No favorite character, I just like the Monster getting shot to death for breaking into the wrong rec room.
        sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
          Fav. characters Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin from Patrick O'Briens series of books including Master & Commander.
          Definitely love the Aubrey/Maturin series!
          Most of Tom Clancy's books...probably until Bear and The Dragon.
          The biographies written by William Manchester.

Movies: Anything by James Cameron. Plus:

The Usual Suspects
          LA Confidential
          Conspiracy
          Master and Commander
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

This is tough.

Favorite Fiction: "Last of the Winnebagos" by Connie Willis (not really a book, but my favorite fiction. Second Place- "Shogun" by James Clavell)
            Favorite Fictional Character: "Lazarus Long" from "Time Enough for Love" by Robert Heinlein
            Favorite Movie: "The Matrix"
            Favorite Movie Character: "Mr. Spock" (this crosses over into TV, but he had all the great lines)
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Favourite writer: William Shakespeare
              Favourite movie: Shakespeare in love

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                ...Favorite Fictional Character: "Lazarus Long" from "Time Enough for Love" by Robert Heinlein
                My clear number two, but I met Sydney Carton Carton when I was twelve and old habits are hard to break.

Those who refuse to support and defend a state have no claim to protection by that state. Killing an anarchist or a pacifist should not be defined as 'murder' in a legalistic sense. The offense against the state, if any, should be 'Using deadly weapon inside city limits,' or 'Creating a taffic hazard,' or 'Endangering bystanders,' or other misdemeanor.
                From The Notebook of Lazarus Long
                When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Favorite book (or, more accurately, the most influential in my thinking): "Atlas Shrugged", by Ayn Rand

Favorite literary character (or more accurately, the one whose career I follow most avidly): Sir Harry Flashman.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                    Favorite book (or, more accurately, the most influential in my thinking): "Atlas Shrugged", by Ayn Rand

Favorite literary character (or more accurately, the one whose career I follow most avidly): Sir Harry Flashman.
                    Damn your eyes sir, you beat me to it..

"Just for a moment I wondered if I was dreaming, but she was fully-clad, so it seemed unlikely. "

"The American Confederates weren't bad, I suppose, bar their habit of spitting on carpets, and the worst I can say of the Yankeees is that they took soldiering seriously and seemed to be under the impression they had invented it."

my favourite is his conversation with Elgin as regards Trollope in Flashman and the Dragon but I can't remember the exact quote ;)

Leibniz

Comment

One of my favorite Flashman quotes, as he was considering making a better escape by throwing a Russian noblewoman over the side of his sled:

"For a moment, even I was appalled - but only for a moment."

Comment

"Haw-haw!! Fwashman sits well, don't he?"

Comment

Favorite novel: Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein. (if you haven't read it, dont judge by the godawful movie) Sci Fi aside, its one of the finest military novels around. Next choice would be Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand (ok, its a play. close enough). These based on numbers of times read and re-read.

Favorite character: I should probably pick someone more "literary" but you just cant beat Bob Lee and Earl Swagger from Stephen Hunters novels.

Favorite movie: no contest: Breaker Morant
                          Rule 303

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                            "Haw-haw!! Fwashman sits well, don't he?"
                            Oh thanks a lot! Now I'm going to have to go and dig them out of my library and re-read them

Leibniz

Comment

Lit: the "Gap series" by Donaldson. I'm s'posed to say Homer or Chaucer etc. , I know.
                              Film Chap: Valmont (Dangerous choice). Or the guy in "Grosse Point Blank". :)
                              Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Working...
                              X