What books did you read this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books did you read this year?

What books did you read this year? Which ones would you recommend to others?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty
    http://www.amazon.com/Under-Loving-C.../dp/0312322216
    I will definitely recommend this book. Exhaustive account of what happens in DPRK, politics, administration, military, etc. However, please skip the last chapter. The author builds up a case that DPRK exists only to serve the Kims but then finally ends by portraying a fictional account of a meeting between Kim and US DOS officials in which Kim appears to be very reasonable....

Foreign Relations Of The People's Republic Of China
    http://www.amazon.com/Foreign-Relati...e=UTF8&s=books
    Written by Garver, the well respected Sinologist. Traces out the Diplomacy of Xin Zhongguo (New China). Recommended by other experts like Mr.Xinhuey of CDF....

The Sino-American Alliance: Nationalist China and American Cold War Strategy in Asia
    http://www.amazon.com/Sino-American-...e=UTF8&s=books
    Another book by Garver. About how Taiwan featured in America's containment strategy. Also describes the options followed by the Taiwanese to exert leverage with the Americans. I am still reading this book....

Engaging India
    http://www.amazon.com/Engaging-India...e=UTF8&s=books
    Talbott has writeen an engaging book on India's bomb and the dawn of a new relationship between India and USA....
    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

I'll have to check my book shelf at work, but I'll put up a few titles for now and then come back and edit/add and make comments later.

Counterinsurgency

The Philippine War, 1899-1902

A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962

A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam

Economics

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

Armchair Economist: Economics And Everyday Experience

Economic Policy, Exchange Rates, and the International System

Freakonomics [Revised and Expanded]: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

American History

Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words That Remade America

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

Islam

Islamic Imperialism : A History

A History of Islamic Law

An Introduction to Islamic Law

Islam and Human Rights: Tradition and Politics
      Last edited by Shek; 27 Dec 06,, 18:00.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

NAVORD OP 769, - 16"/50 caliber turrets.

TurboTax Instructions

TECH MANUAL S9086-TW-STM-010 CHAPTER 682, - Mooring and Towing.

NAVEDTRA 14057-PPR, Damage Controlman 3 and 2.

All issues of The American Rifleman

All issues of the Milwaukee Road Historical Association

The jokes in Reader's Digest.

Instruction Manual on how to operate my new computer.

Instruction Manual on how to program our new TV.

Instruction Manual on how to operate our new convection toaster oven.

Oh! You mean FUN reading. Who has the time for THAT?
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Calvin and Hobbes
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Hitler - 1889 - 1936 Hubris by Ian Kershaw. Wonderful
            The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury - story never gets old
            Animal Farm - George Orwell - this story never gets old either
            On the Beach - Shute - ditto
            Down the River - Edward Abbey
            The Journey Home - Edward Abbey

Will start to read Kershaws second book on Hitler 1936-1945 Nemesis this weekend
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Read?! I'm in college, I don't have time to read! Actually, it's true; I read perhaps a tenth of what I used to read in high school. One book I have been reading off and on for a couple of months is Spandau: the Secret Diaries by Albert Speer. Really fascinating and informative account of Speer and the others convicted at the Nuremberg trials. Lots of recollections from the heyday of Hitler, and lots of thought provoking, um, thoughts.
              I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Personal library

I read on average two books a week. I'd be hard pressed to name them all. This week I'm reading "The Shapeshifter" by Tony Hillerman (almost done) and "Hannibal Rising" by Thomas Harris (promises to be creepy).
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

This year I've read about 30 novels(I did actually write them down in my diary!), but will not do again, since I'm the laziest oaf after god himself!;)
                  "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
                  And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
                  For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

But...I did re-read Gone with the wind the thrid time...Dont we all love that novel!!!!:)

Then I read (amongst others) Montgomery by Ronald Lewin.

And three books on the Indian operations in '47.

And now since I am banned to bring home any books, I'm reading Enid Blyton(;) ...back to the grass root!!!)

Comment

The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus Christ (Dalai Lama)

Mind of Clear Light: Advice on Living Well and Dying Conciously (Dalai Lama)

Oil: Anatomy of an Industry (Matthew Yeomans)
                      (I have read this one a few times - my life is boring)

The Color of Oil: The History, the Money and the Politics of the World's Biggest Business (Economides and Oligney)

In Cold Blood (Truman Capote)

In addition, I have read more versions of Cinderella than anyone should ever have to in their life.

Countless stories of Barbie and her good-deed-doing adventures.

A book called Cat & Mouse: A Delicious Tale which is a disturbing story of a friendly duo until one day when a monkey gives the cat a book on how to cook mouse. Cat has to go away to avoid eating his friend, but mouse goes off and finds cat and they become friends again. The last page of the book hints on cat's desire to still eat mouse. Yes, folks, this is a kids book. I still remember the first time I sat down to read this to the little one after we brought it home. I had to keep stopping to absorb what I was reading. I now buy NO book for the child w/o looking through it first as this has become one of her favorites.
                      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by THL View Post
                        Oil: Anatomy of an Industry (Matthew Yeomans)
                        (I have read this one a few times - my life is boring)
                        NO WAY....
                        In addition, I have read more versions of Cinderella than anyone should ever have to in their life.

Countless stories of Barbie and her good-deed-doing adventures.
                        I too loved GI Joes...WHEN I WAS 5 YEARS OLD!

A book called Cat & Mouse: A Delicious Tale which is a disturbing story of a friendly duo until one day when a monkey gives the cat a book on how to cook mouse. Cat has to go away to avoid eating his friend, but mouse goes off and finds cat and they become friends again. The last page of the book hints on cat's desire to still eat mouse. Yes, folks, this is a kids book. I still remember the first time I sat down to read this to the little one after we brought it home. I had to keep stopping to absorb what I was reading. I now buy NO book for the child w/o looking through it first as this has become one of her favorites.
                        No she dint...tell me she didnt eat the rat...*sniff*...tell mo your are lying...no mommy...nnnnnnnnooooooooo

Comment

Thats the books description on Amazon!!
                          Book Description

Cat loves Mouse.
                          Mouse loves Cat.
                          They are best friends.

But when Cat receives a very special cookbook, she realizes that Mouse could be more than just her best friend. . .

he could be LUNCH!

What will Cat do?
                          What will Mouse do?
                          Find out in this delicious tail. . .oops, tale!
                          That author is one bloody sadist...Wtf is he doing writting books for children????

Comment

Originally posted by Draconion View Post
                            That author is one bloody sadist...Wtf is he doing writting books for children????
                            It gets better...
                            The author is a woman.
                            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Well, this is a good one. We have a small library in our house. Which is cool,but I lost my den

This is the first list of all my fiction books. Which are all just war/naval battles only.

Red Storm Rising by:Tom Clancy (great book)
                              Clear and Present Danger by:Tom Clancy
                              Carrier (the series) Books 1-12 by:Keith Douglass
                              Thunder of Erebus by:Payne Harrison (Great book)
                              Nimitz class by: Patrick Robinson
                              Dreamland Satan's Tail by: Dale Brown (great book)
                              Atalantic Run by: Bart Davis
                              Raise the Red Dawn by: Bart Davis
                              Red Skies by:R.Karl Largent
                              Big Red by:Douglas C. Walker
                              WWIII Rage of Battle by: Ian Slatler
                              Vortex by:Larry Bond (great book)
                              Cauldron by:Larry Bond (great book)
                              Red Phoenix by:Larry Bond
                              And I know he is a little out there as a fiction writer but I have and read all of the Harry Turtledove books. Best one is the "Days of Infamy" series which deals with if japan distroyed the carriers and landed forces at Pearl horbor.

Non-fiction

Hagakure "the book of the Samurai" by: Yamamoto Tsunetomo san (good book)
                              Code of the Samurai by: Thomas Cleary (great book)
                              Secrets of the Samurai by: Oscar Ratti/Adele Westbrook

Reference books and Guides

It is a sweet series by ARCO and now Prentic Hall Press about 24 vol. (well there are more but all I have is 24.

Modern US Navy
                              Modern Warships
                              Modern Soviet Warships
                              Modern Destroyers
                              Modern Submarine
                              Modern Sub Hunters
                              Modern Soviet Fighters
                              Modern Fighters
                              Modern US Fighters
                              Modern Fighter Combat
                              Modern Bombers
                              Modern Helcopters
                              Modern Strategic Weapons
                              Modern Naval Avation
                              Modern Space Warfair
                              Vietnam modern guide
                              Modern US Army
                              Modern Special Forces of the world
                              Aircraft Markings guide
                              Jane's Warships 2005 & 2006
                              Warships of the Soviet Navy by: Jane's
                              Warships of the US Navy by: Jane's
                              Warships of the UK by: Jane's
                              Modern Destroyer by: S.F. Tomajczyk
                              Warships of the twenty first centry by:Steve Crawford
                              Naval Combat By: Chris Miller
                              Warships of Today by:Chris Chant
                              The Falkiands War 1982 by:Duncan Anderson
                              How to Make War 1st.&4th Editions By: James Dunnigan

Well that should be enough. There are a few more good ones but I am most likly boring people to death. I would suggest anyone of these books. I like to read. My wife, and mother also love to read.
                              Last edited by Master Chief; 30 Dec 06,, 03:41.
                              "Peace through Power" Late Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                              X