No announcement yet.

Got a Pet ? Post its picture !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The older dog looks in excellent condition especially that he's 12..no HD and his eyes are bright with no signs of cataracts...fantastic. Looks like you all done a good job.:)

Comment

• Sniper,

You have a bass boat?

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
        The older dog looks in excellent condition especially that he's 12..no HD and his eyes are bright with no signs of cataracts...fantastic. Looks like you all done a good job.:)
        We're not positive of Blitz' age she is at least 12, possibly as old as 14. We have no idea where she was before the humane society picked her up as a stray. Funny thing though. After getting her home we discovered that she was quite housebroke and while joking around I gave her a couple commands in german and she did it! Hmm. She speaks english now.

Geist is 8, she was actually registered by the pryor owner. She was two when we got her and had a bad hip problem. Could barely climb the steps of the house. With the help of the vet we cured that and treated Blitz' heartworm and both had lots of parasites. Both have nearly doubled thier weight and both can eagerly clear a five ft. vertical jump. Which is something to say for Geist.

Both respond to verbal commands well and we work them daily. Unfortunately, we discovered about two weeks ago that Blitz is losing her hearing so we are trying to figure out how to deal with that, as long as she seems happy and stays active I'm sure she has several good years left. Thanks to all for your wonderful comments. My wife hasn't had much interest in WAB until "her puppies" were here. Now a couple of times through the evening she asks "anyone say anything about the doggies?"(she really talks like that). She is very proud of them as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Sniper,

You have a bass boat?
          Why yes! Because I love fish too. Just not as pets.

The dogs like it too. We take them with us to the lake often. Surprisingly, for GSDs, they love to swim. Problem is they love to bail out of the boat when we go for a swim in the middle of the lake. They actually have dog life preservers now so they can swim longer and it helps to get them back in the boat. I know........... its crazy!

Comment

• Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
            Both respond to verbal commands well and we work them daily. Unfortunately, we discovered about two weeks ago that Blitz is losing her hearing so we are trying to figure out how to deal with that, as long as she seems happy and stays active I'm sure she has several good years left. Thanks to all for your wonderful comments. My wife hasn't had much interest in WAB until "her puppies" were here. Now a couple of times through the evening she asks "anyone say anything about the doggies?"(she really talks like that). She is very proud of them as well.

Start by talking to her and when you give commands, put your finger on your lips and keep tapping them, making sure he is looking at your face. Point to what you want him to do..come here, go there, fetch etc. do this with a higher pitched voice than normal. Sadly deafness is inherent in big dog breeds but at his age he's done really well:)

Comment

Start by talking to her and when you give commands, put your finger on your lips and keep tapping them, making sure he is looking at your face. Point to what you want him to do..come here, go there, fetch etc. do this with a higher pitched voice than normal. Sadly deafness is inherent in big dog breeds but at his age he's done really well:)
              So is this kind of a lip reading technique? Both respond to hand signals well, but the only problem is getting her attention when she is looking away. Outdoors I have to command loudly(and higher pitched) as you suggested. The neighbors probably think I'm a raving lunatic. I thought of maybe a radio control collar that vibrates could help here. That way if it buzzes her she would look at me for a hand signal. I'm definitely open to suggestion, Thanks Dave.

Comment

So is this kind of a lip reading technique? Both respond to hand signals well, but the only problem is getting her attention when she is looking away. Outdoors I have to command loudly(and higher pitched) as you suggested. The neighbors probably think I'm a raving lunatic. I thought of maybe a radio control collar that vibrates could help here. That way if it buzzes her she would look at me for a hand signal. I'm definitely open to suggestion, Thanks Dave.
                No.. at 12/14 this will only frighten him. He is an animal of habit, and it really isn't too long before he's looking for you anyway. Remember as he gets older he needs(wants) more sleep, the old bones ain't what they used to be so getting up to a command is not really a preference to being comfortable ie. lying down;) Remember, in Dog years he's older than you .. so now it's your turn to fetch for him;)

Comment

• ah, Dave its pretty cool, are you a dog whisperer ?:)
                  A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay View Post
                    ah, Dave its pretty cool, are you a dog whisperer ?:)
                    Even my goldfish eat from my hand..honestly

Comment

Great information, Dave. Thanks. Our Golden Retriever is also at that age and is clearly losing her hearing. We will love and care for her through her 'Golden' years and will follow sniper's lead and rescue a dog or two. Or three.

No offense to cat lovers because I love all animals. My first pets as a kid were snails after they cleaned out the aquariums at my elementary school. I brought them home and mom was NOT happy, but I got to keep them.

I was a pioneer in snail rescue!

Comment

• Outstanding Wally! Kudos!

BTW, your pooch looks as spoiled as mine. We just can't help it can we?:)

Comment

Outstanding Wally! Kudos!

BTW, your pooch looks as spoiled as mine. We just can't help it can we?:)
                          I have never met a dog I didn't like. Or a snail for that matter

No man can be condemned for owning a dog.
                          As long as he has a dog, he has a friend;
                          and the poorer he gets, the better friend he has.
                          ~ Will Rogers

The more I see of men, the better I like my dog.
                          ~ Frederick the Great

Comment

• Originally posted by THL View Post
                            Chloe was scratching the furniture when she came here as a wee-tot kitten last fall, something Max never did. I cannot bring myself to declaw her as I find it vile and brutal. So I found a solution. There is a thing out there called soft paws (also goes by the name soft claws, by the same company). They are little pieces of colored rubber that you glue over the cats nails. I first got her pink and she now is wearing purple (see photo 1). Well, since Chloe is now unable to scratch the furniture, Max had decided to take it up...so yes, his manicure now consists of blue nails (see photo 2).

btw, they make these for dogs, too. :)
                            THL,

Thank you for the Soft Paws recommendation. Beau and Mak are sporting shiny black manly nail covers these days. Here's Beau with his new accessories and his Dark Overlord look.

Mrs. GAU-8
                            Attached Files

Comment

• God bless high resolution digital photography. Your cat appears fresh after a thorough self-grooming here.

THL, my scratchy kitten Lazarus got torched beyond recognition before I had a chance to try this one out, but I've heard dripping lemon drops on your furniture (if it doesn't ruin it) is one of those imperceptibletohumansbutnotanimals ways of getting your cat off it.

Your cat can still scratch with Soft Claws® allowing normal stretching and scratching behavior to continue. Just no damage will occur.
                              I can't tell which way is less promising

Comment

• Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
                                THL,

Thank you for the Soft Paws recommendation. Beau and Mak are sporting shiny black manly nail covers these days. Here's Beau with his new accessories and his Dark Overlord look.

Mrs. GAU-8
                                Did he object too much to having them put on? As a tip, I have found it is easier to replace each one as they come off or grow out instead of waiting for them all to come off and then doing them all at once. It is also easier to fill them all with glue and then stick them on quickly instead of stopping in between each one to fill it with glue. I think it is great they come in different colors...I am thinking of getting red and green for XMas time.
                                "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Working...
                                X