Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle
    replied
    Interesting insights. Oppo F3 runs like 8 hours with hotspot turned on. Then I need to charge it.

Leave a comment:

• Double Edge
    replied
    Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    Redmi note 5 @ 11,999 is still not available.
    Black & gold are

I am not brand conscious, give me some more options. I looked into Samsung too. Can't decide. I checked customer feedback in amazon, none of the mobiles have a 100% good rating.
    What are you looking for ? from what i can tell battery is your primary criteria

Samsung hasn't been good at this price point for a while. Have not seen many reviews from reviewers i follow for samsung at the budget end in many years now

Had you asked three years ago the Moto G would be the top pick. Since then Chinese brands have eroded Moto's hold in the Indian market. So moto now uses Brazil as their capital. Not many Chinese phones available in Brazil as yet

Xiaomi has an advantage since i think as part of foxconn they make in India these days like One plus or the Koreans for that matter.

I don't usually shop at this price point because three months later something better comes out.

If a product doesn't have a 100% good rating that means some of the reviews are honest or frivolous. I'd be wary of 100% ratings because it generally means those reviews were paid for either via discounts or some other incentive in exchange for a 5 star review. Not as big a problem in India yet but rampant in the west

In a production line, there are bound to be quality issues.
    Applicable within the first three months of launch usually. Any kinks get worked out afterwards. So a phone with a manufacture date three months later than launch date is generally fine unless you're really unlucky

What do you mean by upgrades? OS or app upgrades? It's good to have both (e.g., in the Macbook, I can upgrade to newer OS version for 4 years). Also Volte and personal hotspot is the reason I want to buy a cellphone.
    OS upgrades and security patches. Apps will be fine.

I figured you want hotspot. This takes a toll on battery. As you are full time on data which depending on signal strength and network congestion hammers battery and on top there is a need to retransmit. Both cell and wifi radios are working full time here

For reference how many hours does the Oppo F3 last in this configuration from 100% ? is it long enough if not how much longer would you like it to be

Some tech specs say that there are 2 nano slots. Both for 4G sim. Now if I use one slot for 4G data, the other sim in the second slot automatically will be used for 2G voice. What does it mean? I will take a Jio sim, so I can't have both data and voice with 1 sim?
    Given that Jio is a 4G only network you can have voice and data on one sim. See, every other cell network in India isn't 4G only. They use some thing called fallback. If no 4G then 3G and finally 2G

With Jio if there is no 4G you have nothing.

So the point with 2G is if you want to use airtel say or another operator along with Jio then you will be limited to 2G only with that operator. So your Jio will be on 4G and any other operator will be 2G. You can receive calls on either number but i think data will be only on the designated data sim, Jio in this case, should you use two sims

When both sims are 4G then you can choose which operator will be 4G. Not applicable in your case since Jio is 4G only. But say you were not using Jio and instead on Voda and airtel. Well, which do you want 4G on, select one. The advantage with both sims 4G here is you don't have to have your 4G sim in the first slot. It can be in either. Earlier the designated 4G sim had to be in the first slot. So now you've decided which is 4G the other becomes 2G
    Last edited by Double Edge; 30 May 18,, 16:39.

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied
    Redmi note 5 @ 11,999 is still not available.

I am not brand conscious, give me some more options. I looked into Samsung too. Can't decide. I checked customer feedback in amazon, none of the mobiles have a 100% good rating. In a production line, there are bound to be quality issues.

What do you mean by upgrades? OS or app upgrades? It's good to have both (e.g., in the Macbook, I can upgrade to newer OS version for 4 years). Also Volte and personal hotspot is the reason I want to buy a cellphone.

Some tech specs say that there are 2 nano slots. Both for 4G sim. Now if I use one slot for 4G data, the other sim in the second slot automatically will be used for 2G voice. What does it mean? I will take a Jio sim, so I can't have both data and voice with 1 sim?
    Last edited by Oracle; 30 May 18,, 15:02.

Leave a comment:

• Double Edge
    replied
    Since you're into xiaomi, how about the Mi A1. Sd 625. It comes with the android one program so updates should be more frequent than other phones in this price range. Red one

https://buy.mi.com/in/buy/product/mi-a1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABUI7LekwkA

snapdragon 625 is good with battery, what's better is to have a still bigger battery like the redmi Note 5 with 4000mah. Battery wise this will be better. Blue one

https://buy.mi.com/in/buy/product/redmi-note5

https://youtu.be/tTXXsjXNhP0

Whats better ? 625 with yet more battery. Lenovo P2. Still available on flipkart to my surprise. 5000mah battery. THE best you will ever get for battery. Older OS with M or android 6. Updates unlikely

https://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-p2-g...meq5ygvgq9vyfn

https://youtu.be/vKgArIEC8ME

Comparison of the 3
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...&idPhone3=8319

Another alternative is the honor 7x in black though. No android one phone here though. Will have the least battery. Not snapdragon. Best camera

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B077PTJT5Z?th=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeGGSk-KhYw

And what does a hybrid sim slot mean?
    two sims or one sim + micro sd
    Last edited by Double Edge; 30 May 18,, 04:20.

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied
    How about this --> https://www.amazon.in/Mi-Redmi-5-Gol...n%3A1485077031

And this --> https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy...n%3A1485077031

And what does a hybrid sim slot mean?
    Last edited by Oracle; 30 May 18,, 02:51.

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied
    Had an MI, that I was using for close to 5 years. It stopped working a couple of months back, since then I'm using Dad's Oppo F3 (4GB RAM).

Leave a comment:

• Double Edge
    replied
    Use - 2GB data that Jio doles out everyday. I use mobile for making calls, whatsapp very infrequent, one classic rock app from Netherlands, Amazon app. That's it. Mostly it's data that I use on my laptop.

Need - 3 GB RAM (could be 2 GB also), a good processor to compliment the RAM (possibly snapdragon - I like the name), touchscreen, Volte(4G), lightweight (not flyweight :D), screen should be good. Should not heat up quickly. Battery performance should be good too. Will do without any camera. :D That's about it.

Expected price - Somewhere around USD 200. Oh, and reviews should be good too.

I am good with specs for Laptops, but have nearly no idea when it comes to mobiles. So, please help me out.
    What phone do you currently use ? to get an idea

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied
    Help needed in buying a new Cellphone

Use - 2GB data that Jio doles out everyday. I use mobile for making calls, whatsapp very infrequent, one classic rock app from Netherlands, Amazon app. That's it. Mostly it's data that I use on my laptop.

Need - 3 GB RAM (could be 2 GB also), a good processor to compliment the RAM (possibly snapdragon - I like the name), touchscreen, Volte(4G), lightweight (not flyweight :D), screen should be good. Should not heat up quickly. Battery performance should be good too. Will do without any camera. :D That's about it.

Expected price - Somewhere around USD 200. Oh, and reviews should be good too.

I am good with specs for Laptops, but have nearly no idea when it comes to mobiles. So, please help me out.

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied
    Ordered these:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Didn't reach 600 (prime expired last year), so ordered a small HP mouse (not a fan of using mouse), for free delivery.

Leave a comment:

• Double Edge
    replied
    So, I can clean my Macbook screen with it and there will be no scratches? And the keyboard too?
    The cloth itself won't scratch anything because its softer than either the screen or the keyboard. What will scratch both is if it has any sand trapped in the cloth. More of an issue if you live in a dry desert area i'd have thought, not the NE

The cloth i have is 14 inches square. Fold it once and again. You now have eight quarter size surfaces to clean with. Make sure you don't use the same quarter the next time you clean. Once you go through all eight, wash it. I don't bother with this because if you give it a once over every day or two there will be no dust to begin with. Most of the time i'm removing finger prints

I read somewhere that microfiber cloth should be washed only in cold water without any washing powder. I have a liquid something at home that is used to wash woollen clothes, can I use it to wash the microfiber cloth? When should I wash the cloth, like after how many uses?
    Hotter water makes the fibres open up and cleans them better. Best to follow the washing instructions, some can handle hotter temperatures than others. I usually add some vinegar in the conditioner tray to fluff them up. This is with washing over ten of these cloths.

Godrej eazee is used for woolens because it has no enzymes. Detergents like Ariel & Surf have enzymes to assist in cleaning, these enzymes will eat natural fibres like wool. So its advised to use a special detergent when cleaning woolens. Micro fibre isn't a natural fibre, its artificial. You could use a woolen detergent with it or surf liquid. Thing is a woolen detergent is designed to activate at colder temperatures, i'm not sure how well it works at 60 degrees. Can't hurt to try and then compare

How many times/days can I use the cloth? And I have seen the products in Amazon, says for cleaning car windows etc, and you're saying it does the work better than the ones from the computer section?

Thanks (Ironduke/DE), I am glad I asked.
    I have no complaints with the cloths i use and would heartily recommend them not just for cleaning tech devices but general cleaning as well. I use microfiber cloths to dry veg & fruits and even dishes and hands as they absorb more water than regular dish cloths. I use a new one every week. For general dusting i use even bigger cloths and fold them as mentioned earlier. You'd be amazed how much dust gets picked up from what appears clean to start with. This is helpful if there are people with allergies around as its mostly dust that gets kicked up every time the fan comes on

Suggest you buy just one and try out different ones then you will get an idea of which works better. I'd say these cloths are good up to a hundred washes. Best not let them get too dirty. Given i only wash a load every couple of months it will be many years by the time they are done
    Last edited by Double Edge; 25 May 18,, 18:18.

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied
    Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    Absolutely, i use this

https://www.amazon.in/Softspun-Micro.../dp/B01AY49GXS

there is another less fluffy one that looks like this

https://www.amazon.in/Carstudio-Micr.../dp/B00TDGYVIE

Generally speaking, the one that is more fluffy removes fingerprints better. i use this with a phone too and its excellent. Also for general purpose cleaning around the house. These cloths absorb dust rather than the usual cleaning cloths that just redistribute it some where else (!)

I have many of these clothes and they go into the washer when done. Use liquid detergent only with these cloths at 60° C, powder detergent is bad for them

These are non targeted generic products used in the car industry for detailing. I don't even know what that word means but they are cheaper and of better quality than if you bought them from the computer section

Not necessary and its recommended you don't use any alcohol to clean, only to disinfect, if you must. How many people use your gear, where've their hands been...

Just plain water or a drop of dish wash detergent like Pril mixed in water is good enough

I use these cloths dry on my laptop at least once a day and the same with phones. No water used at all unless i splashed something on the screen

Looks brand new when done
    So, I can clean my Macbook screen with it and there will be no scratches? And the keyboard too? I read somewhere that microfiber cloth should be washed only in cold water without any washing powder. I have a liquid something at home that is used to wash woollen clothes, can I use it to wash the microfiber cloth? When should I wash the cloth, like after how many uses?

How many times/days can I use the cloth? And I have seen the products in Amazon, says for cleaning car windows etc, and you're saying it does the work better than the ones from the computer section?

Thanks (Ironduke/DE), I am glad I asked.

Leave a comment:

• Double Edge
    replied
    I did a google and came to know about 'microfiber cloth'. Is the choice correct?
    Absolutely, i use this

https://www.amazon.in/Softspun-Micro.../dp/B01AY49GXS

there is another less fluffy one that looks like this

https://www.amazon.in/Carstudio-Micr.../dp/B00TDGYVIE

Generally speaking, the one that is more fluffy removes fingerprints better. i use this with a phone too and its excellent. Also for general purpose cleaning around the house. These cloths absorb dust rather than the usual cleaning cloths that just redistribute it some where else (!)

I have many of these clothes and they go into the washer when done. Use liquid detergent only with these cloths at 60° C, powder detergent is bad for them

These are non targeted generic products used in the car industry for detailing. I don't even know what that word means but they are cheaper and of better quality than if you bought them from the computer section

Can I also use the solution that is included with the cloth to clean the screen?
    Not necessary and its recommended you don't use any alcohol to clean, only to disinfect, if you must. How many people use your gear, where've their hands been...

Just plain water or a drop of dish wash detergent like Pril mixed in water is good enough

I use these cloths dry on my laptop at least once a day and the same with phones. No water used at all unless i splashed something on the screen

Looks brand new when done
    Last edited by Double Edge; 24 May 18,, 19:15.

Leave a comment:

• Ironduke
    replied
    For 15 years I have been using Colin to clean my laptop screen & keyboard. Seems that is not the right material. I did a google and came to know about 'microfiber cloth'. Is the choice correct? Can I also use the solution that is included with the cloth to clean the screen?
    Microfiber and 91% isopropyl alcohol works well. The less water in the isopropyl alcohol, the better. Evaporates very quickly, much faster than e.g. 70% isopropyl and ethanol blends, and avoids potential problems with corrosion to any metal components in the event some seeps through a keyboard or gap. There's hardly no water left behind after the evaporation takes place.

It also disinfects the surfaces you clean on the laptop as well. Keyboards and screens can easily become hubs for all types of bacteria, and isopropyl solves that problem well.

Three birds, one stone.

I just use round cotton pads and 91% isopropyl myself. Leaves a little lint behind on the monitor and keyboard, but after the isopropyl evaporates, I just blow it off with a can of compressed air. I need to use the compressed air anyways to get crumbs and detritus out from beneath the keyboard, and dust out from the fan ducts and processor on the bottom of my laptop, so the lint left behind from cotton pads isn't an issue for me.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 24 May 18,, 17:22.

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied
    For 15 years I have been using Colin to clean my laptop screen & keyboard. Seems that is not the right material. I did a google and came to know about 'microfiber cloth'. Is the choice correct? Can I also use the solution that is included with the cloth to clean the screen?
    Last edited by Oracle; 24 May 18,, 14:06.

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied
    I meant I could not see the IPS information anywhere in the Mac. Probably because it is not there. Here in this small town, retailers were selling junk windows laptop for prices above 50K, it didn't made any sense. If I had to invest anything close to $1000, then it had to be worth it. I was spending close to 1 hour every day for 5 months, until I decided to buy this entry level piece of hardware.

Same article with Piyush says transmission capacity isn't sufficient. The electricity company is a cash cow and the profits are skimmed off for other purposes. Thing is BJP isn't any better, they had a term but that ended in acrimony
    Yeah, read that. Both BJP and Congress are opposite sides of the same coin. The team at Delhi is honest and capable, Congress doesn't even have that.

Oh! you mean building a road that isn't to spec and having to rebuild it again in a couple of years if not later because they got the job by under bidding. They don't talk to each other because they don't know when the funds will be available and when they are they rush to finish the job. There is no coordination.

With the Tender SURE project the corporators howled because specs had to be followed and the bidding process was transparent. The roads built under this project are good they just take close to a year to complete
    I don't know. I mean I know about tender sure projects. But where I see corruption, you see lack of co-ordination.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X