Was Tankie Right After All?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Tankie Right After All?!

After a friend's Facebook status update, I went outside to look at the moon and saw that it was surrounded by some sort of halo that I've never seen before. I immediately tried to take pictures, though I'm in the middle of the city so there was plenty of light pollution. The pictures were all taken with a Canon PowerShot SX120IS with varying exposure times until I settled on 1 second exposure. I don't have a tripod so I just tried to keep the camera as still as I could on random objects (including my knee). The pictures were originally 3648x2736 pixels, I resized them to 1024x768 to post them here.
    Attached Files
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

More pics
    Attached Files
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Final batch
      Attached Files

Comment

Clean the lens!
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

That little speck right next to the moon is a star which was shining incredibly bright. I don't think I've ever recalled seeing that star before, and I've looked at the moon more than once...

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
            Clean the lens!
            I did with a microfiber cloth before I started taking pictures. The pictures aren't great quality because of A) all around camera, not a specific purpose camera, B)lack of a tripod, C) Light pollution (I'm right next to a shopping center and D)the resizing. Full size you can see with a lot more clarity

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              That little speck right next to the moon is a star which was shining incredibly bright. I don't think I've ever recalled seeing that star before, and I've looked at the moon more than once...
              Ummm, the moon moves in respect to the stars. Just sayin'......
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I was about to post a video from Madagascar cartoon where they see the helicopter as a star :Dancing-Banana:
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                  Ummm, the moon moves in respect to the stars. Just sayin'......
                  I didn't see that star yesterday when I looked. It probably has something to do with the insanely clear sky around the moon, the star that would normally get lost is suddenly extremely visible

Comment

When were these photos taken? Because I remember reading something about an asteroid coming pretty damn close to us (distance closer than the moon) at around 6pm Eastern time US yesterday or the day before. If that speck was the asteroid well then you got yourself a piece of astronomical history :)
                    "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

They were taken approximately 20-30 minutes before I uploaded them, right around midnight, Israeli time

Comment

The star is Jupiter and at this time of year shows up very bright ;)

Comment

They were taken approximately 20-30 minutes before I uploaded them, right around midnight, Israeli time
                          Ah then it couldn't be the asteroid...could be a satellite but like dave said it's probably Jupiter.
                          "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

I just e-mailed the government your pictures.

They denied everything.

Comment

i e-mailed my goverment these pictures too. yello´s goverment replied and denied everything
                              If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Working...
                              X