For those who play guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who play guitar...

I am trying to buy THE Boss GT-10 processor. For those who have used it, how good is it? And while you are at it, if you play guitar, what is your favourite guitar, and why? I have always had a soft spot for Fender guitars. I can't afford the American made ones, so I stick to the Mexican made ones.
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

I too like the Fender Strat - I have an American Standard with a Warmoth Pro neck, I love it. I have enjoyed the Mexican versions too and may get a maple neck HSS one of these days (I like the new Tungsten color). I think I would outfit it with over-wound neck and reverse wound center pickups like the David Gilmore or SRV type. I would want the pull up knob to split the humbucker.

I am interested in effects right now, I am using a VOX VT-15 and it models some nice effects, but is limited in how many can be used together - or I least I am limited in my ability to do this. I have been considering a multi effects processor too - I have been steered toward Line-6 POG effects pedals by a serious musician friend - I am an amateur myself. I also have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard - it is very nice too - but the Strat is #1 for me. I have a borrowed Maple neck Ultra Strat HSS with EMG pickups right now (same friend) and to me it is the ultimate version. A Wah Wah is high on the list of pedals, and a multi pedal with an expression pedal setting would be nice. As everyone has heard, the Ukulele is helping me build my guitar abilities - for me it is much easier to play than the 6 string electric.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Line 6 products are also very good, apparently. I once had a Zoom multi-effects pedal. Didn't like it much, but that was years ago. I heard that their quality has improved now. Never played on a Les Paul before, but then I like single coil pickups more. The other day I was playing this cheap Chinese made guitar, and it put me off Chinese guitars for life! Fret buzz everywhere. You can't even play a decent tune on it.

What amps do you have? I have a really small marshall, and it is not enough for my needs. I would love to have a Mesa/Boogie one day. I played on it once and simply loved it.
      "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

I have a little battery powered Marshall, an Dan electro Honey Tone (also battery powered) and A VOX VT-15, I like the VOX a lot, the little ones are OK, but not very versatile - they are portable - they can fit right in the case with the guitar

The newer modeling amps (like the VT series) can simulate a lot of amps - many can do the Mesa Boogie

I saw a Chinese strat the other day - and played it - that one was ok - not great - but I didn't notice any fret buzz, some of the Chinese guitars are fine, a musician friend advised against buying a guitar you haven't tried first. I have had this experience buying used through mail order - problems and returns...

I have an HSS Strat too, it has a humbucker that can be turned up and down from dual to single coil - I really like that - it is like a turbo.... I agree the single coil has a certain special sound like nothing else. There are so many choices now. The humbucker is fatter and thicker sound - the single is crisper and special in its own way. They have reverse wound center singles which give the strat a humbucking effect- humbuckers were designed are to control the noise from lighting and mikes, for someone playing just a guitar, they aren't as important - more useful in a band setting.

I had a borrowed Fender twin reverb once, it was also pretty cool, they are very expensive now.
        Last edited by USSWisconsin; 06 Jul 11,, 07:17.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Strat and crafter semi acc , i fitted the strat with kent armstrong pick ups , one hot rail 2 cool rail , endless sustain in the right place , amp i gigged was a vox ac 30 , top power boost and blues speakers , eat yer hearts out surfs i then left the amp behind and used a pre/amp through the PA 1k rig , 2 peavey hysis 2s , good enuff for any gig , compact all fitted in the car .

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
            Strat and crafter semi acc , i fitted the strat with kent armstrong pick ups , one hot rail 2 cool rail , endless sustain in the right place , amp i gigged was a vox ac 30 , top power boost and blues speakers , eat yer hearts out surfs i then left the amp behind and used a pre/amp through the PA 1k rig , 2 peavey hysis 2s , good enuff for any gig , compact all fitted in the car .
            tankie, I'd love to hear you "operate" that rig - as always - I am inspired.

Yesterday I spent a few precious hours at my favorite music store and came home with a GCB 95 Dunlop Cry Baby and an AD9 Ibanez Analog Delay - they add something I've never heard before to my electric Uke - all the guys at the store wanted to try it - they made it sound like Hendrix was playing it... We used a Fender Blues Jr tube amp - that was faintly picking up radio stations...

I put them in this order: Les Paul Uke, Dunlop Wah Wah, Ibanez AD9, and Danelectro pepperoni phaser - then connected it to my VT15 with the "express train" and chorus settings and set it to LOUD- it was really something - my C - F - Am - G - Em - D progression had some new tricks... The AD9 even gave me some room to squeeze in a lead

Need more wires, will get some soon - I want to use the two outputs on the AD9 and the little Marshal to give a second channel w/o delay.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
              tankie, I'd love to hear you "operate" that rig - as always - I am inspired.

Yesterday I spent a few precious hours at my favorite music store and came home with a GCB 95 Dunlop Cry Baby and an AD9 Ibanez Analog Delay - they add something I've never heard before to my electric Uke - all the guys at the store wanted to try it - they made it sound like Hendrix was playing it... We used a Fender Blues Jr tube amp - that was faintly picking up radio stations...

I put them in this order: Les Paul Uke, Dunlop Wah Wah, Ibanez AD9, and Danelectro pepperoni phaser - then connected it to my VT15 with the "express train" and chorus settings and set it to LOUD- it was really something - my C - F - Am - G - Em - D progression had some new tricks... The AD9 even gave me some room to squeeze in a lead

Need more wires, will get some soon - I want to use the two outputs on the AD9 and the little Marshal to give a second channel w/o delay.

Soz m8 , my giggin days r over , howeveeeeeeeeeeeer i have a dvd of a gig when i was playing a westone thunder , and if i can find out how to seperate one of the pieces (i was playing the guit behind my back , hava nagilla ) i will post it for ya's , woo hoo ,but my bass player was a bit of a nasty pasty that night ,,nuff said fer now on that , but the pedal i used often was the morley volume power boost n cry babe light controlled , same as Hank Marvin used , a byoooooty . My ex accompanied on my gigs and it was easy peezy for her to carry the gear in , there ya go , cost me a fortune so she didnt break her back , see how i looked after my pack mules huh but it was to no avail as she took up with my best m8 the bass player so she cud gather info on my whereabouts n thoughts tryin to rip me off over my house , hahaha tankies always one step ahead , woo hoo and he;s still my m8 , but strangely , not herssssssssssssss
              Last edited by tankie; 10 Jul 11,, 18:52.

Comment

I tried the GT -10 - I wasn't very impressed. I liked the ME- 70 much better. These things are compromises, they simulate a whole bunch of pedals, and try to give you everything, but don't really give you the real thing - they require you to learn them and their programming "language" - like an instrument. If you figure out which effects you want - the actual devices have fine adjustments that aren't in the simulations - and the order you hook them up in does matter. I have been reading articles and trying the things out one by one or two or three at a time. A common factor in overdrives and distortion is saturating the amplifier with a strong preamp signal, tube amplifiers handle this very well - making it sustain and distort in a pleasing way. Other effects add something to certain songs, but wouldn't be used all the time. It seems like pro artists normally have several effects loops - one for lead, another for rhythm - some just for certain songs.

Some things I like so far: a Wah Wah pedal to permit user input to the effect while playing, a delay to extend the tone (there is a big difference in analog and digital delay), distortion to make it fatter, reverb for depth. I use a phaser on some songs, I don't care for the flanger - reverb is something that needs a foot switch to turn it off. I have tried chorus and tremolo they fit in nicely - tube overdrive is nice - all the time, an all tube amp is wonderful. Boss has a pedal called a Harmonist, it is really cool, very complex in what it can do - it also has an input for an expression pedal. Modeling amps are a great deal and can give you a lot of effects, cheaply.
                BOSS U.S. - PS-6: Harmonist

Many of these different pedals do the same thing. Some brands like Digi - don't impress me at all - they have a thin cheap tone. BOSS is a good mid-priced brand with a nice tone. The "artist" series are generally more expensive - if money is a factor - I would avoid these.

Read up on the effects, the way they are grouped in the on-line stores will tell you which ones are similar and can be redundant (Musicians Friend has a bunch of good articles) and pick some to try at a music store - listen to You Tube demos. You tube is a great place to hear and learn about effects, Eric Johnson has some nice effects tutorials on You Tube.

Bottom line - spending 500$ on a GT-10 might teach you about what the effects do, but a ME -70 costs half as much and is more intuitive (lots of knobs) - but I suspect you would end up getting the ones you really wanted in their pure form later - doubling the expense.

Comment

GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)

A new amp - Peavy ValveKing 112
                  A new archtop - Epiphone DOT studio - walnut
                  new drums
                  new mike's
                  Autoharp
                  Attached Files

Comment

Whats the gibbo play like , the twin humbuckers should kick out some shit ,,, I still prefer strats tho , but horses for courses .

Comment

Whats the gibbo play like , the twin humbuckers should kick out some shit ,,, I still prefer strats tho , but horses for courses .
                      Plays like a dream - I like it - the strat is different - the dot has a warmer fuller sound, but it is more bluesy - with jazz overtones - the strat and LP have more classic rock tones - the new tube amp makes them all sound different... The sustain and crunch definately moved up to 10...
                      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 04 Sep 11,, 18:56.

Comment

Anything with twin hamburgers get's your attention Eric...oh hambuckers... sorry!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                          Anything with twin hamburgers get's your attention Eric...oh hambuckers... sorry!!!
                          For such a Bard m8 yoru recenishiom of writted Enlgand is not verey gud :whome:

Comment

Has the zither got a pre peg chord board ??

Comment

Has the zither got a pre peg chord board ??
                              it has 21 chords sort of coded with felt covered bars (the bars mute certain strings) - by pressing the keys - each chord can be played in 3 registers (hi, med ,lo) - I have a peizo pickup to put in it (it is an Oscar Schmitt pickup made for this model - so it fits in there perfectly) - I took it apart once - it has lots of little springs in there - in need to be careful not to loose them. I got it back together and ordered strings - now I have them and need to take it appart again to put the strings on and install the pickup. I am planning to run it through the tube amp, perhaps using a phaser and analog echo... It is sort of an ear training instrument - it helps me recognize the sounds of the chords...it seems best as a vocal accompaniment instrument - though it does do instrumentals quite well itself. I can get extra chord bars and felt them for other chords - it has an extra bar for E major - and I would like to add a few different ones - it has a lot of 7th chords that I don't need often - I would like to replace a couple of the seventh chords with some different major chords. It seems well suited to songwriting... The Apple Garage Band program appears to be just right for laying down complex tracks with lots of overdubs. My "recording studio" is coming together nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X