• JRT
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    Arkansas State Police
    high speed chase on I-40
    on 04 December 2020

(GPS based vehicle speed in lower left corner)
    Last edited by JRT; 31 Dec 20,, 22:57.

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    Kiss Tomorrow Goddbye
    Release date: August 4, 1950 (USA)
    Stars: James Cagney, Barbara Payton, Helena Carter
    Director: Gordon Douglas
    Producer: William Cagney
    Box office: 1.7 million USD
    Screenplay: Harry Brown

A violent career criminal breaks out of prison and takes revenge on his partner who grassed him up, then romances his ex-partner's sister. Thanks to two corrupt cops, he is soon back on top of the world.

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Release date: May 18, 1955 (USA)
    Director: Robert Aldrich
    Story by: Mickey Spillane
    Screenplay: A. I. Bezzerides

One evening, private detective Mike Hammer (Ralph Meeker) picks up a strange woman, Christina (Cloris Leachman), who's standing on the highway wearing only a trench coat. They're stopped farther on by strangers who knock out Mike and murder Christina. Although warned not to investigate by the police, Mike and his girlfriend and assistant, Velda (Maxine Cooper), become ensnared in a dark plot involving scientist Dr. Soberin (Albert Dekker) and Christina's terrified roommate, Lily (Gaby Rodgers).

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied

She can COOK (which, not many women can do these days), she can DANCE, and she is Pretty. Why don't I find someone like her. Damn!

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied

Last edited by JRT; 06 Dec 20,, 15:40.

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    Biography - George S. Patton

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    "Ice Dropped Down Borehole in Antartica Creates Unusual Sound"

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JRT
    replied
    I noticed in the national news that a rented Ferrari crashed at a little after midnight early this AM on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. I looked for a news video to post here, because the circumstances seem interesting (to me).

In the video, the car is trail braking with slight oversteer immediately before suffering excessive understeer (front end is pushing, is losing grip before the rear) going into the crash, so balance does not look horrible. Speed might be supralegal, but does not appear extreme. I think it might just be inappropriate tires for the ambient conditions.

I suspect that the driver (perhaps lacking some skill and experience) was caught by surprise by tires that were exhibiting a lot less grip in the cold a little after midnight than what was experienced earlier at warmer temperatures in mid-afternoon. The driver might not be experienced in the dangers of using high performance tires in colder conditions. I checked the weather history at nearby O'Hare airport and the air temperature at the time of the crash was 33degF at 00:51_AM on 28 November 2020, and was 45degF at 14:51_PM on 27 November, the preceding afternoon.

Modern high performance summer tires lose a lot of grip when tire temperatures fall much below 45degF, and some high performance summer tires can suffer permanent structural failure (cracking in the carcass, chunking in the tread) of the tire compounds at colder temperatures near 30degF. The highest performance summer tires sacrifice cold weather performance for higher grip at higher temperatures. All season high performance tires sacrifice some grip at high operating temperatures for better performance in cold weather. The rental agency might not be well aware of the need for a change to high performance all season tires at colder temperatures.

Weather history at O'Hare:
    https://forecast.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KORD.html

Problems with high performance summer tires at colder ambient environment temperatures, two sources.
    TireRack:
    https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec...jsp?techid=273
    Continental Tire:
    https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...ires-in-winter
    Last edited by JRT; 29 Nov 20,, 18:33.

Leave a comment:

• Oracle
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X