This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

What would that be. They say they detected 10 different substances in his blood but that he also had an enlarged heart (quite enlarged) and suffered cardiovascular collapse.
    I had this AM on the radio the drug abuse caused the enlarged heart...that is what I meant.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

I was so pissed when they apparent cause of death came out.

The dude had real demons but I wish he had gotten the help he needed. My son is a drummer and is really pissed...he learned to play drums by listening to and then mimicking Hawkins style. We had lunch on Sunday and he said he didn't know which death was worse...Neil Peart or Taylor Hawkins.
      As a washed up drummer myself, I considered him one of today's greats. I was fortunate to see him and the Foo Fighters quite a few times---my favorite being the MSG concert from last June. Between Dave's presence and Taylor's relentless energy, the atmosphere was purely electric. (I believe you can find the full concert on Youtube).

Unfortunately, the demons that seem to linger around most bands yet claimed another incredibly talented, bright soul.
      "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Team View Post

As a washed up drummer myself, I considered him one of today's greats. I was fortunate to see him and the Foo Fighters quite a few times---my favorite being the MSG concert from last June. Between Dave's presence and Taylor's relentless energy, the atmosphere was purely electric. (I believe you can find the full concert on Youtube).

Unfortunately, the demons that seem to linger around most bands yet claimed another incredibly talented, bright soul.
        It seems that artists of all strips can be afflicted by demons which may explain why they are capable at what they do compared to others. Cobain, Wilson, Barret, Johnston, O'Conner, van Gogh, Munch, Dejas, Hemmingway, Poe, ...

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsiorba_Guitars_Luthier
            29 May 2022
            Perfidia, played by Carlos Barbosa-Lima

In March 2019, Carlos Barbosa-Lima came to Oregon, to perform at a small house concert here in Portland hosted by Mike Doolin and Nancy Conescu. I had the opportunity to visit with Carlos at my shop, Tsiorba Guitars, Luthier, to talk about music and guitars, and to record a few takes played by Carlos on my guitars.

Here is one of them.

Unbeknownst to me, this was the last time I was going to see Mr. Barbosa-Lima. Per a New York Times article, he died of a heart attack on Feb. 23, 2022 at a hospital in São Paulo. The world has lost a witty, talented human being, arranger, guitarist, and an interpreter of Brazilian music. Thank you for sharing your stories and music with all of us, Carlos! You are missed. RIP.

Guitar: Peter Tsiorba Carob back/sides, European spruce soundboard.
            Microphone: Shinybox 46U ribbon mic, recorded in mono (one microphone).
            Juicelink on-camera preamp
            Camera: Nikon 5100 DSLR
            There is no sound post-processing, just the way it came through the mic at my guitar shop.
            And a rocksteady version:

Originally posted by Trojan_Records
            08 May 2014
            "Perfidia" - Phyllis Dillon, circa 1967
            Last edited by JRT; 25 Jul 22,, 02:48.

Comment

• Time I got back into posting music.

Here is a good start - one of the great covers of all time from a criminally underrrated band. Stiff Little Fingers are one of the great punk bands, and for mine the greatest to come out of Northern Ireland. The Undertones are arguably better known, but SLF had the musicianship, lyrics and urgency of early Clash. Their first two studio albums and contemporary live albums are all must haves for any punk fan.

As observed in the brilliant film Good Vibrations (track it down folks) for young people growing up in 1970s Ulster punk was the natural music to play. SLF channeled their anger & frustration at living in a war zone into brilliant tracks such as Alternative Ulster, Suspect Device, Nobody's Hero, Tin Soldiers & Barbed Wire Love. One of their greatest tracks, however, is a cover of a Bob Marley song.

Johnny Was is about another war zone - 1970s Kingston. It is said to be about the death of the younger brother of musician Delroy Wilson, killed by a stray bullet. To young men growing up in Belfast it was like someone observing their lives. Marley's version is a slow lament focussing on the grief of a mother whose faith is tested by the loss of her son. SLF change the location to Belfast and turn it into an angry protest about a pointless death. Jake Burns' barking vocals and staccato guitars contribute to the mood, but the star of the song is Jim Reilly on snare drum. It is the sound of the occupying army and, most importantly, the sound of 'marching season'. It elevates a good song to greatness.

the original

This SLF version from their 1980 live album Hanx! might be slightly better (the sound quality certainly is).

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Not much on punk but recognize good musicians when I hear them. And to have the great Bob Marley cover your songs...well, you must be a hell of a band.

For those of you on Facebook and want to get great musical recommendations...also cricket & deadly animals...hit Pete up on the direct message function and reach out for his info. He has taught this old Boomer some awesome music recommendations!
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Kristoffersen: Sunday Morning Coming Down!
                  Don't know which version I like best: his or Johnny Cash's.
                  When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Not much on punk but recognize good musicians when I hear them. And to have the great Bob Marley cover your songs...well, you must be a hell of a band.

For those of you on Facebook and want to get great musical recommendations...also cricket & deadly animals...hit Pete up on the direct message function and reach out for his info. He has taught this old Boomer some awesome music recommendations!
                    Thanks Buck. I try. :)

SLF were everything that was great about punk - short, sharp, often angry songs about the lives of ordinary people. They reflected what they saw around them.

Just one correction - Bob Marley wrote the song, not SLF. They just saw their lives in his words and made his song their own.

sigpic

Comment

• “We are heartbroken to announce the passing of Gunditjmara (Kirrae Whurrong/Djab Wurrung), Bundjalung Senior Elder, songman and storyteller Archie Roach”. He was 66 years old.

A sad day for Australian music. Archie Roach wasn't just a musician, he was a symbol and a healer. Born into an indigenous family, Roach and two of his sisters were forcibly taken from their parents when he was 4. This was part of a larger, multi-generational policy of mass removal called the 'stolen generations'. His adoptive parents were told that his birth parents had died in a house fire. At age 15 he recieved a latter from another sister telling him his mother was dead. He left home to search for other family members and never saw his adoptive parents again. In later years he described them as yet more innocent victims of a terrible policy.

During his many travels he met musician Ruby Hunter, the love of his life until her death 35 years later in 2010. She too had been stolen, and together they endured poverty, homelessness, alcoholism and trauma to create a family and begin a musical career. During the late 1980s Roach wrote his first song, 'they took the children away'. He began performing it at protests against the Bicentennial celebrations in 1988. Eventually he was spotted by legendary Australian musician Paul Kelly, who encouraged him to record the song and produced his first album, Charcoal Lane. From there his career blossomed.

I will admit that I'm not much of a 'bloke with a guitar and a sad song' type of guy. Not really my music. That said, I can appreciate the art, and ROach had it in spades. He meant a lot to a great many people, especially indigneous people. He will be missed.

There are few more powerful songs about the wrongs done to indigenous Australians than this:

Charcoal Lane is a little bluestone lane in inner Melbourne. Funnily enough I walked quite close to it last night, crossing Gertrude street (mentioned in the song) on the way to a friend's birthday. It has long been a meeting place for indigenous folk:

This final one is another tough one. It is also about a young man stolen from his family. One day he was badly beaten & driven over by a group of white youths who attacked him because he was black. When the ambulance arrived the ambos didn't bother todo a proper examination, but just assumed that because he was black he had been sniffing petrol. He was taken home, where he died with a broken pelvis, multiple broken bones & other injuries.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        “We are heartbroken to announce the passing of Gunditjmara (Kirrae Whurrong/Djab Wurrung), Bundjalung Senior Elder, songman and storyteller Archie Roach”. He was 66 years old.

A sad day for Australian music. Archie Roach wasn't just a musician, he was a symbol and a healer. Born into an indigenous family, Roach and two of his sisters were forcibly taken from their parents when he was 4. This was part of a larger, multi-generational policy of mass removal called the 'stolen generations'. His adoptive parents were told that his birth parents had died in a house fire. At age 15 he recieved a latter from another sister telling him his mother was dead. He left home to search for other family members and never saw his adoptive parents again. In later years he described them as yet more innocent victims of a terrible policy.

During his many travels he met musician Ruby Hunter, the love of his life until her death 35 years later in 2010. She too had been stolen, and together they endured poverty, homelessness, alcoholism and trauma to create a family and begin a musical career. During the late 1980s Roach wrote his first song, 'they took the children away'. He began performing it at protests against the Bicentennial celebrations in 1988. Eventually he was spotted by legendary Australian musician Paul Kelly, who encouraged him to record the song and produced his first album, Charcoal Lane. From there his career blossomed.

I will admit that I'm not much of a 'bloke with a guitar and a sad song' type of guy. Not really my music. That said, I can appreciate the art, and ROach had it in spades. He meant a lot to a great many people, especially indigneous people. He will be missed.

There are few more powerful songs about the wrongs done to indigenous Australians than this:

Charcoal Lane is a little bluestone lane in inner Melbourne. Funnily enough I walked quite close to it last night, crossing Gertrude street (mentioned in the song) on the way to a friend's birthday. It has long been a meeting place for indigenous folk:

This final one is another tough one. It is also about a young man stolen from his family. One day he was badly beaten & driven over by a group of white youths who attacked him because he was black. When the ambulance arrived the ambos didn't bother todo a proper examination, but just assumed that because he was black he had been sniffing petrol. He was taken home, where he died with a broken pelvis, multiple broken bones & other injuries.

Sad news indeed.

And I gotta say the British Empire left a hell of a legacy of forced removal of indigenous children from their families across the globe.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• Justin Cross - Drink the Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0hVwnyKk0
                          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Piaf:- Non, je ne regrette rien
                            Small Lady, powerful voice!
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtGfyruroU

When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

• I had planned to kick off a a succession of posts on the 'family tree' of Australian group the Easybeats, but events have pushed me to a different direction - the career of the other great Australian group of the 60s, the Seekers. Sadly this week saw the death at 79 of Judith Durham, the leade singer of the Seekers.

If the Easybeats were a bit like the Beatles with a dash of Rolling Stones - cheeky pop idols with a slightly naughty/menacing edge - the Seekers were a more pop version of Peter, Paul & Mary, but with arguably an even better female vocalist. Durham had a purity of tone that turned nice little pop songs into memorable hits. They were 'wholesome', but managed to appeal to a remarkably broad demographic.

Among those fans were my very clean cut, church going (at least then) but progressive parents. They LOVED the Seekers, and even though the group had broken up by the time I was born their music was a soundtrack to my early years. Durham dying is a bit like losing a part of my own past. I should also point out that the Seekers were a favourite band of our dear, departed Minnie. I was amazed that someone who grew up in the USSR would even have heard of them, but she was a fan.

After a hit in Australia in 1963 the Seekers got a job as entertainment on a cruise ship. When they got to London they sought out opportunities until one arrived in the form of Tom Springfield, brother of the better known Dusty. Tom had been a musician (originally with his sister), but he turned out to be a better songwriter. The first song he wrote for them went top ten all over the world in late 64/early 65, including the US & UK. They were the first Australian group to get a top 5 hit in those two countries & Australia simultaneously:

A year later came another Springfield hit, based on a Russian folk song he learned while he was in the British Army studying Russian as part of intelligence training. He wrote his own words, and the song sold almost 2 million copies worldwide. It is still among the top 50 selling UK singles of all time.

This live version is special to me because it was filmed in Melbourne in 1967 and among the 200,000+ people in the crowd were my parents. It was the year they married. They were 25 years old and all the joys and sadnesses of the subsequent decades were yet to come. It is nice to think of them young and in love, full of hope and possibility.

One year on came the last great Seekers hit and arguably their best known, the title song from the film 'Georgy Girl'. With music again by Springfield but lyrics by British actor Jim Dale, the song was top 5 worldwide and garnered Academy Award & Golden Globe nominations. I picked out this version just to show how remarkable Judith Durham's voice was. Even in her early 70s and after numerous health issues she still sounded wonderful, only really losing a bit of sustain on he big notes:

1967 on the Ed Sullivan show for anyone after a comparison:

In 1968 Durham decided to leave the band for a solo career. A greatest hits album released after the breakup knocked the Beatles White ALbum of the number one spot in the UK & kept the Rolling Stones from the top. It spent 125 weeks in the charts.

RIP Judith Durham & thanks for the music.

sigpic

Comment

• A truly great band. Love them.

And RIP Judith
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X