Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good SF drama recommendations?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I decided to give Dr. Who (the 2005 seires) a try on Netflix. And I'm having trouble.

    I'm deep into season two. And I'm sorry, I know it's a much beloved show, but I just don't get it. It's like Benny Hill meets Star Trek and Sherlock Holmes, with a stiff dose of Steam Punk thrown in.

    I enjoy the characters. The stories seem well written, and some of the effects are excellent. But the inside of the Doctor's ship is a joke, and when he starts beating on the components with his shoe, or whips out cheap paper 3D red-blue glasses to be able to "see" trans-dimensional beings, I just cringe.

    What am I missing? Why does this show have such a rabid fan base?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I decided to give Dr. Who (the 2005 seires) a try on Netflix. And I'm having trouble.

      I'm deep into season two. And I'm sorry, I know it's a much beloved show, but I just don't get it. It's like Benny Hill meets Star Trek and Sherlock Holmes, with a stiff dose of Steam Punk thrown in.

      I enjoy the characters. The stories seem well written, and some of the effects are excellent. But the inside of the Doctor's ship is a joke, and when he starts beating on the components with his shoe, or whips out cheap paper 3D red-blue glasses to be able to "see" trans-dimensional beings, I just cringe.

      What am I missing? Why does this show have such a rabid fan base?
      Its an acquired taste.
      Americans mostly wont like the deliberate way in which it pokes fun at itself. Remember, the old doctor who used to have a tiny budget and threadbare effects.
      So every now and then they will insert some junk like that for the fun of it.
      David Tennant especially knows not to take it seriously at all and hams up the frenetic shouting and pointless running about a lot.

      Usually we ignore such things with the help of the eye candy but you will have to wait until season 5 to get Amy Pond. Until then grit and bear with Rose.

      Also Russel T Davies is an absolute arsehole and it shows in his weaker episodes.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

      Comment


      • My Daughter and I just enjoyed "Earth 2" a single season series that we picked up on Amazon cheap. It is very different. Quite complicated, I think that's why it was cancelled - it took about 3 episodes to get engaged. While the whole story didn't unfold in one season, the concept did, and it was very diverse, with at least three species on the new planet, one of these, the Terians, was very enigmatic. The Humans there were complex too, there was apparently a penal colony there, and cyborgs which the the "Earth council" sent to cull them.

        Another series "Starlost" was a similar series, in that it was cheap to buy and only lasted one season - it all takes place in space, on a giant colony ship. It is older, and has a British flavor, reminding me a little of early Dr Who, though more in production characteristics than in the story line.

        We both love Dr Who, I've been a fan since the late 70's and the new series got my Daughter engaged, she wants to buy the seasons as soon as they are released on DVD. I really got into the new series sequence when David Tennet became the Dr. Dr Who takes quite a while to get engaged, it has a huge story arc. I think at least a dozen episodes is needed to really get into the story.
        Last edited by USSWisconsin; 02 May 13,, 07:34.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

        Comment


        • Trust me, I can "see" the appeal of Dr. Who... I just wish, as bolo states, there was less "frenetic shouting and pointless running about a lot." I don't want or need Star Trek sets, but the TARDIS... well, you may as well simply call it a magic box rather than a ship, as it seems there is zero attempt at any sort of realism.

          Some of the villains are great. The Daleks crack me up, they sound like enraged hamsters in a robot shell. The Cybermen vs. Daleks, when they were discussing an alliance and it devolved into a shouting match, was priceless. Exterminate, exterminate.

          It is sort of growing on me, but I doubt it will ever be a favorite. More fantasy than sci-fi, and that's OK, there is a place for fantasy as well.

          Rose doesn't bother me too much. She is apparently gone anyhow. Is the whole gist of the show having the Dr. pick up a new honey every few years?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Chogy View Post
            Trust me, I can "see" the appeal of Dr. Who... I just wish, as bolo states, there was less "frenetic shouting and pointless running about a lot." I don't want or need Star Trek sets, but the TARDIS... well, you may as well simply call it a magic box rather than a ship, as it seems there is zero attempt at any sort of realism.

            Some of the villains are great. The Daleks crack me up, they sound like enraged hamsters in a robot shell. The Cybermen vs. Daleks, when they were discussing an alliance and it devolved into a shouting match, was priceless. Exterminate, exterminate.

            It is sort of growing on me, but I doubt it will ever be a favorite. More fantasy than sci-fi, and that's OK, there is a place for fantasy as well.

            Rose doesn't bother me too much. She is apparently gone anyhow. Is the whole gist of the show having the Dr. pick up a new honey every few years?
            The Dr himself changes every few years, and the pretty assistants a little more often. Not all of them are hot. Donna Noble was a very ordinary British woman, IMO, not a pretty young thing. I'm sure there are a subset of fans who consider sexy assistants to be important, but I think its optional personally. Some of the assistants over the years were male. I believe that Rose is the first assistant the Dr was in love with. Sometimes the Dr had several assistants at once, like Amy Pond and her husband. In the old. pre-1990 seasons, the assistants were occasionally the Dr's equals - one was a time lord herself; Ramona - and she regenerated so two women played that role (both were pretty). Other assistants who didn't fit the girlfriend pattern were Lela and Ace, they were more like warrior women. The first Dr traveled with his grand daughter.

            Tom Baker (the 4th Dr) is still my favorite Dr, though David Tennet is a very close second (he is the 10th or 11th Dr - one Dr did only a single movie, some fans don't count him).
            Last edited by USSWisconsin; 02 May 13,, 17:02.
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

            Comment


            • After posting on Dr. Who, I tried a few more episodes with a more open mind, and I actually did research on some of the sub-plots and characters. I'm in the process of doing a rapid 180 degree turn. Two episodes in particular I thought were brilliant. The Family of Blood was so well written... this was the episode where the Dr. turned himself into a 100% human, put his memories and personality into a watch, and hid in a boys' school in 1913 to avoid a family of hunters who could "smell" Time Lord tech. Under attack, the Dr. (who had fallen in love) had zero desire to become the hero again. Very well acted. The scene at the end, with the WW1 vet in the wheel chair who recognized the Dr., was a tear jerker.

              Right after that came Blink - Another fascinating plot, with quantum villains who would cease movement under observation - the weeping angels.

              I am starting to get it. It didn't take long. :pop:

              Comment


              • There are lots of older episodes that are brilliant too. I recommend the Key to Time, with Tom Baker - it was a season long plot with many wonderful episodes. My favorite was the Pirate Planet - it has a wonderful Capt Bight caricature with a robot parrot on his shoulder - the character controls a space jumping hollow planet - which can materialize around a target planet and "mine" it. Of course it kills the population of that world in the process - and a bunch of the citizens of the pirate planet are affected by the energy of the dying planets and seek to oppose the Capt. The Dr. uncovers a wonderfully evil plot, and it turns out the Capt is not at the center of it - he is a brilliant engineer of celestial mechanics and powers the planet with a condensed matter array made from the compressed planets of his victims. The blustering Capt bellows at his second in command, threatening to have the skull off of him and bleach his bones... He does the same to the Dr, until he discovers the Dr can fix his burned out macro-matter converter, which gives the Dr and his assistant Ramona the chance to foil the plot and discover the evil Queen Xanzia behind it all, preserved by a time dam. It is a particularly rich episode, with enough great moments to make several average episodes.

                The Stones of Blood and the Ribos Operation are also great episodes from the season - all of them have the Dr and Ramona searching for the Key to Time - which has six segments for them to find - Ramona regenerates into the 2nd Ramona in this season too (the 2nd Ramona becomes Tom Baker's wife in real life).

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Planet

                http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Pir...+pirate+planet

                Of the early Dr's Tom Baker played the part longer than any of the others, and many people thought he was the archetypal Dr. I liked John Pertwee the 3rd Dr quite a bit too, though the show's budget was very thin for some of his episodes - the time lords took his TARDIS away for a while (to save money on sets). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Doctor

                This is a good episode to see the 3rd Doctor - and it has the 1st and 2nd Doctor too!
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thr...s_(Doctor_Who)


                The later Doctors (5 to 8) had their great moments too, but after Tom Baker, they were sort of a mild disappointment, IMO, but still good and worth watching. David Tennant finally brought the series back up to Tom Baker's level IMO.
                Last edited by USSWisconsin; 03 May 13,, 16:38.
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

                Comment


                • "My" current Dr. is Tennant, and I agree, he is quite good and a fine actor in his own right. I saw that in the Family of Blood episode.

                  Currently matronly "Donna" is the assistant. Cannot stand her, and want Martha or Rose back. The assistant shouldn't hassle or argue with the Dr. all the time! ;)

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                    After posting on Dr. Who, I tried a few more episodes with a more open mind, and I actually did research on some of the sub-plots and characters. I'm in the process of doing a rapid 180 degree turn. Two episodes in particular I thought were brilliant. The Family of Blood was so well written... this was the episode where the Dr. turned himself into a 100% human, put his memories and personality into a watch, and hid in a boys' school in 1913 to avoid a family of hunters who could "smell" Time Lord tech. Under attack, the Dr. (who had fallen in love) had zero desire to become the hero again. Very well acted. The scene at the end, with the WW1 vet in the wheel chair who recognized the Dr., was a tear jerker.

                    Right after that came Blink - Another fascinating plot, with quantum villains who would cease movement under observation - the weeping angels.

                    I am starting to get it. It didn't take long. :pop:
                    Yes those were both outstanding stories with very little slack to them. Taunt, gripping and Tennant at the height of his powers.
                    The family of blood especially is pretty much my favorite Tennant episode.
                    The angels were the best villains ever created in the series.
                    Also note that SOB Davies was nowhere near either of them.
                    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                      "My" current Dr. is Tennant, and I agree, he is quite good and a fine actor in his own right. I saw that in the Family of Blood episode.

                      Currently matronly "Donna" is the assistant. Cannot stand her, and want Martha or Rose back. The assistant shouldn't hassle or argue with the Dr. all the time! ;)
                      Amen to that. Donna and her annoying voice made several episodes unwatchable for me, I downloaded subtitles and watched them with the sound off.

                      Rose is irritating, Martha is siightly better and only sometimes gets on my nerves.
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                        Amen to that. Donna and her annoying voice made several episodes unwatchable for me, I downloaded subtitles and watched them with the sound off.

                        Rose is irritating, Martha is siightly better and only sometimes gets on my nerves.
                        To each his own - I liked Martha and Rose. :) My personal favorite assistant was Sara Jane Smith, she started with the 3rd Doctor, but most of the episodes she was in were with the 4th Dr. She had her own sequel to the current series, sort of a kids version - we lost her to cancer in 2011, RIP.

                        Another great assistant was Adrick - a young mathematician from Tralcon I think, he was very good, he helped the Dr quite a bit - his co-assistant was Nissa, though she was more of a minor character, she was very pretty in a 1980's context.

                        Adrick and Nissa were there when Tom Baker regenerated to Peter Davison, the 5th Doctor (he was fine, but appearing after Tom Baker, who played the Dr. for 8 years, made for a very tough act to follow). Peter was very different from Tom and played the Dr for 3 years, he had a lot of good episodes, they are better in hindsight. At the time, many fans were busy missing Tom Baker and didn't feel that Davison was up to the job.

                        Colin Baker (not related to Tom) was an edgy and tough 6th Dr. He had a 3 year run - but there were some gaps in the series at that time when the BBC didn't make episodes regularly. There were some good episodes, and few "difficult" ones too. He was more likely to kill the bad guy than most of the other Doctors.He was an under appreciated Doctor, IMO.

                        Sylvester McCoy was the 7th Dr, he was fine, he played the part for two seasons, and had some good episodes. He was reminiscent of the 2nd Dr, Patrick Troughton in his style. The Daleks made a comeback with him, but he wasn't one of my favorites, though he did have the warrior woman Ace for an assistant - she loved explosives ;)

                        Peter McGann was the "missing" 8th Dr. he appeared in a single, and hard to find, movie, not very memorable.

                        The new "modern" series started with Christopher Eccleston (#9), who introduced Rose, I enjoyed them, but David Tennant (the 10th Doctor, with a six year run) easily overshadowed Eccleston's one year run.

                        So far, Matt Smith, Dr #11, is doing a pretty good job, he reminds me of David Tennant. It seemed to me that the longer an actor played the Doctor, the better he was at it.


                        The BBC accidentally destroyed most of the first 3 doctor's episodes in the 1970's, thinking they were duplicates. A world wide search restored less than half of what was lost, but the first two Doctor's catalogs were particularly decimated.
                        Last edited by USSWisconsin; 04 May 13,, 15:43.
                        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                          To each his own - I liked Martha and Rose. My personal favorite assistant was Sara Jane Smith, she started with the 3rd Doctor, but most of the episodes she was in were with the 4th Dr. She had her own sequel to the current series, sort of a kids version - we lost her to cancer in 2011, RIP.
                          I did try to watch a few classic Doctor episodes on dvd way back when i was in the UK but somehow I just felt... disconnected.
                          I could never get the same feel i get from a well written tennant episode.

                          So while i do know of Sarah Jane Smith and K9 they never seemed all that great.

                          TO each his own I suppose.

                          By the way what do you think of the currently airing series seven?
                          I'm sort of in mixed minds about the new assistant Clara.
                          Jenna Louise Coleman has a wonderful voice but she seems to be a bit of extra tacked onto the story, we could easily have entire episoed without her.
                          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                            I did try to watch a few classic Doctor episodes on dvd way back when i was in the UK but somehow I just felt... disconnected.
                            I could never get the same feel i get from a well written tennant episode.

                            So while i do know of Sarah Jane Smith and K9 they never seemed all that great.

                            TO each his own I suppose.

                            By the way what do you think of the currently airing series seven?
                            I'm sort of in mixed minds about the new assistant Clara.
                            Jenna Louise Coleman has a wonderful voice but she seems to be a bit of extra tacked onto the story, we could easily have entire episoed without her.
                            I'm behind on series 7, I haven't stayed up to watch it on TV, and we don't have the DVD's for it yet.

                            It's rather easy to land on a "difficult" episode when looking at the older seasons, and the new series has a much larger budget, more consistently excellent writing, and better effects - the difference in production quality is huge. I suppose that makes it hard to go back. At least the TARDIS isn't such a joke, I don't appreciate the old car parts and kids toys for controls - the early episodes had a simple but dignified TARDIS. Most of it was off screen, the control room was modest and the controls were unobtrusive.

                            Going from modern sci-fi back to the nostalgic early stuff isn't for everyone. I saw them all pretty much in order, so they weren't so dated at the time, and I wasn't comparing them to the modern series. Even then, there were some episodes that seemed to drag on, gloomy and dull. The writing was usually fine, and often brilliant, but production values were often so bad it was funny. I never got into K9 much either, though some episodes were better than others - in the Pirate Planet; K9 hunts down the Capt's murderous robot parrot and then retrieves it ;) " Good dog, K9", is the Doctor's response.

                            A few more good ones (IMO):
                            The Sun Makers - a great one

                            The Talons of Weng Chiang
                            The Keeper of Trakken
                            The Brain of Morbious - sort of gloomy
                            The Pyramids of Mars
                            The Hand of Fear
                            The Face of Evil
                            The Creature from the Pit

                            The Trial of a Time Lord - a series of episodes
                            The Five Doctors
                            Last edited by USSWisconsin; 04 May 13,, 16:25.
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                              I'm behind on series 7, I haven't stayed up to watch it on TV, and we don't have the DVD's for it yet.

                              It's rather easy to land on a "difficult" episode when looking at the older seasons, and the new series has a much larger budget, more consistently excellent writing, and better effects - the difference in production quality is huge. I suppose that makes it hard to go back. At least the TARDIS isn't such a joke, I don't appreciate the old car parts and kids toys for controls - the early episodes had a simple but dignified TARDIS. Most of it was off screen, the control room was modest and the controls were unobtrusive.

                              Going from modern sci-fi back to the nostalgic early stuff isn't for everyone. I saw them all pretty much in order, so they weren't so dated at the time, and I wasn't comparing them to the modern series. Even then, there were some episodes that seemed to drag on, gloomy and dull. The writing was usually fine, and often brilliant, but production values were often so bad it was funny. I never got into K9 much either, though some episodes were better than others - in the Pirate Planet; K9 hunts down the Capt's murderous robot parrot and then retrieves it ;) " Good dog, K9", is the Doctor's response.
                              pssst, just use a good proxy and bbc iplayer :)

                              Yes I think i must have landed on some difficult to digest episodes. Also I first learned of doctor who while devouring paperback books as a kid.
                              So i sort of expected the darker and more complex Doctor found in most of the books.
                              I'll try to get my hands on the tom baker series and see in chronological order. Maybe second time will do the trick.
                              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

                              Comment


                              • One thing I must admit - the aliens the BBC created for this series I am watching puts hollywood to shame. The Ood, the cybermen, New NY's cat people, the Spider Queen, even the Daleks in all their shapes and forms, biological and/or robotic, are infinitely better than the puttied noses of all the Star Trek shows. Hat's off to them. They must have created a hundred Ood prosthetics for the masses of them for the Ood home world story.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X