Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avatar (might be spoiler inside)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Avatar (might be spoiler inside)

    This is the most visually stunning movie up until now. James Cameron definitely knows how to make a movie. It is long (almost 3 hours). That can be good and bad. Did I mention it is the most visually stunning movie yet?

    Now to my rant...

    I hate god-damn hippies.

    I like nature as much as the next guy, but I ain't gonna sacrifice development over some plants.

    This movie has a completely biased view of humans. All we hear are the buzz words: corporation, profits, and mining. Maybe we need this mineral to sustain our world. There isn't another place to get it. So we had to spend all this time and effort to come to this planet/moon to mine it.

    Nature can be beautiful. Nature can also be ugly. Nature is uncaring. Nature is cruel. Nature is ruthless. Nature is unpredictable. Let's not get all choked up about saving something that can destroy us without a blink of an eye.

    I much prefer machines. They are entirely predictable. This alone makes them more friendly.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

  • #2
    Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    I much prefer machines. They are entirely predictable. This alone makes them more friendly.




    on topic:

    The movie really bored me. I've seen too many with a similar theme before (alien sex aside).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      This is the most visually stunning movie up until now. James Cameron definitely knows how to make a movie. It is long (almost 3 hours). That can be good and bad. Did I mention it is the most visually stunning movie yet?

      Now to my rant...

      I hate god-damn hippies.

      I like nature as much as the next guy, but I ain't gonna sacrifice development over some plants.

      This movie has a completely biased view of humans. All we hear are the buzz words: corporation, profits, and mining. Maybe we need this mineral to sustain our world. There isn't another place to get it. So we had to spend all this time and effort to come to this planet/moon to mine it.

      Nature can be beautiful. Nature can also be ugly. Nature is uncaring. Nature is cruel. Nature is ruthless. Nature is unpredictable. Let's not get all choked up about saving something that can destroy us without a blink of an eye.

      I much prefer machines. They are entirely predictable. This alone makes them more friendly.
      Right on! The whole time i was thinking i dont give a flying f*** about the effing blue idiots. Crush them! Humans first always.
      Also a teeny weeny nit pick, the corporations supposedly need the minerals below the surface and the atmosphere is toxic anyway. Why bother sending all those troops and avatars? Fractional orbital bombardment baby! Frag that rock and then extract what we need at leisure.
      Last edited by bolo121; 19 Dec 09,, 15:34.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Now I want a tail (and a neural interface)!
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

        Comment


        • #5
          Battle of Endor, Star Wars III or VI, anyone? Three words - air burst nuke.

          Comment


          • #6
            What is the meaning of age restriction upon this movie?
            Here in Russia restrictions formally exist, but it seems that they are never respected.
            I saw Avatar together with my 6,5 year old nephew yesterday and more than half of the audience were children under 10. And they were deriving the most pleasure of all.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm still mad that Cameron didn't let M. Night Shyamalan use the name Avatar for his movie.

              Now called The Last Airbender based on the Nick cartoon "Avatar"

              Comment


              • #8
                We seem to be on the same page?

                Originally posted by gunnut View Post

                I hate god-damn hippies.
                Help protect the environment, punch a hippy.

                This movie has a completely biased view of humans. All we hear are the buzz words: corporation, profits, and mining. Maybe we need this mineral to sustain our world. There isn't another place to get it. So we had to spend all this time and effort to come to this planet/moon to mine it.
                The movie plot does not sound unusual, but normal compared to Hollywood standards. I admit i haven't seen it but reading all of the reviews, i do not ever plan too, even when it comes out on dvd. I just am not interested in being indoctrinated!

                Nature can be beautiful. Nature can also be ugly. Nature is uncaring. Nature is cruel. Nature is ruthless. Nature is unpredictable. Let's not get all choked up about saving something that can destroy us without a blink of an eye.
                Indeed, nature can never be controlled. Humans on the other hand, seem to think they can control the other with the proper conditioning/indoctrination if the process is started when they are young. At least there is no lack of trying on our part.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I really enjoyed it - was it strongly cliched?

                  Yeah, but at least it's a cliche with truth, that humans are greedy, spoilt and consumeristic by nature, than a false one.

                  I say that as a human, btw:)).
                  Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                  - John Stuart Mill.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great movie,saw it last night:D
                    The visuals efects where like..WOW:)

                    Didn't like the way humans where portrayed(event though there's some truth in it)

                    Ps:"Fractional orbital bombardment baby! Frag that rock and then extract what we need at leisure."this made me laugh:)) not nice,imagine the other way around:P

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ever noticed that District 9 and Avatar have a similar plot?
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        Ever noticed that District 9 and Avatar have a similar plot?
                        I did notice right off that the "bad" guys once again are military contractors and the "good" guys are humanoid and or have human like behavior. I did like the palletised "bomb" load shoved off the ramp. But nice improvisation for someone limited resources. No nukes, CS and improvised demolition, you use what you got!
                        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ever noticed that District 9 and Avatar have a similar plot?
                          That the military is composed of morons that have no conscience; that military contractors are greedy war-mongers, and together will rape/kill everything and anything that stands in the path of power and/or profit? Yes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                            That the military is composed of morons that have no conscience; that military contractors are greedy war-mongers, and together will rape/kill everything and anything that stands in the path of power and/or profit? Yes.
                            Actually I was thinking "human turned alien" part of the plot.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Finally saw it a few hours ago

                              Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              This is the most visually stunning movie up until now. James Cameron definitely knows how to make a movie. It is long (almost 3 hours). That can be good and bad. Did I mention it is the most visually stunning movie yet?
                              He does indeed. I am not an especially theater-going person, but I will always watch a James Cameron movie in the theater.

                              Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              This movie has a completely biased view of humans. All we hear are the buzz words: corporation, profits, and mining.
                              As at least one review pointed out, that's a classic Cameron cliche

                              Originally posted by axeman View Post
                              [IMG]
                              The movie really bored me. I've seen too many with a similar theme before (alien sex aside).
                              Oh how true. I guess I've watched too many movies because it was fairly predictable. Who lives, who dies, the wildlife rising up against the company mercenaries, but especially the very end of the movie, Jake fusing with his Avatar...I think I predicted that a few minutes after he met his blue girlfriend.


                              Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                              Also a teeny weeny nit pick, the corporations supposedly need the minerals below the surface and the atmosphere is toxic anyway. Why bother sending all those troops and avatars? Fractional orbital bombardment baby! Frag that rock and then extract what we need at leisure.
                              Not teeny at all. A HUGE gaping plot hole: What happens when the company people get back to Earth? They're just going to write off that much potential wealth?

                              Well, maybe. Remember, this is a "company", (the old Cameron standby) with more or less humane stockholders. In addition, that's not the regular army we saw. They're also employing mercenaries, extremely well-armed former-military mercs to be sure, but mercs nonetheless. So that kind of planet-busting weaponry may be somewhat out of the company's reach.

                              Having said all that, Cameron has stated he wants to make 2 sequals if Avatar is successful. And I'm pretty that's gonna happen, judging by this weekend's box office. So maybe the regular army will get called in or the company will get their dirty hands on a FOBS.

                              Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              Battle of Endor, Star Wars III or VI, anyone? Three words - air burst nuke.
                              Oh my god, I know right?

                              Return of the Jedi
                              Dances With Wolves
                              Dune


                              Just to name a few. Which Cameron more or less freely admits to.

                              Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                              That the military is composed of morons that have no conscience; that military contractors are greedy war-mongers, and together will rape/kill everything and anything that stands in the path of power and/or profit? Yes.
                              That disgusted me to no end at first and still does to a large extent.

                              Unfortunately companies like Blackwater and KBR aren't exactly the most sterling examples of professionalism at it's best. But hey, their motivation, their very raison d'être is profit.

                              So, not too much of a stretch for me once I reminded myself that these were not professional soldiers serving their country, but mercenaries motivated by bigtime money (why else would they be on such a so-called shithole deathtrap of a planet) and probably heavily indoctrinated to boot.
                              “Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.”
                              ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X