replied
    Band of Brothers
    Platoon
    Kelly's Heroes - there is more to this one than first meets the eye

Leave a comment:

• Sanjac
    replied
    Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    I'm no expert by any means, but Valkyrie was definitely a good movie IMO, although it had to stretch things a bit. For one thing it makes the coup look like it was succeeding more than it actually was, among other things.

The Wiki article on the movie goes into pretty good detail, but more importantly provides links to other articles for further study.
    Thanks! Yes, the Wikipedia article looks like an excellent reference. It seems that the changes made by the moviemakers were intentional and pretty much necessary to make it work as a movie; mostly just nits such as compressing the time and number of encounters necessary to get the modified Valkyrie plan approved by Adolf Hitler. It's a amusing to think that the director left out the bit about von Stauffenberg refusing morphine because people would believe that the truth of it was a contrivance. He mentioned that in the voice-over director's comments on the DVD release.

Leave a comment:

• Dazed
    replied
    Tora Tora Tora. If the movie historically accurate. I know how America was lulled to sleep. That movie ran longer than WWII.

My boss owns one of the Kates form Tora Tora Tora. It began life as a T-6 in 1944, in 1969 three plugs in the fuselage and grafted on the tale of a VT-13? and new wing tips and canopy and you got a Kate replica. So the owner paint scheme and a/c mx is Japanese the aircraft all American parts.

Leave a comment:

• TopHatter
    replied
    Originally posted by Sanjac View Post
    I'm wondering what the military experts think of "Valkyrie," the 2008 film starring Tom Cruise. Although I knew how it would all turn out, it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the film, hoping against hope that they would succeed. (Maybe the science fiction lobes of my brain were lighting up. Alternative history.) Is it as historically accurate as I think it is?
    I'm no expert by any means, but Valkyrie was definitely a good movie IMO, although it had to stretch things a bit. For one thing it makes the coup look like it was succeeding more than it actually was, among other things.

The Wiki article on the movie goes into pretty good detail, but more importantly provides links to other articles for further study.

Leave a comment:

• Sanjac
    replied
    Amazingly, I was just wondering if I should wake up this old thread to mention "Lawrence of Arabia." Yup, I'd have to say it's my favorite war movie.

I'm wondering what the military experts think of "Valkyrie," the 2008 film starring Tom Cruise. Although I knew how it would all turn out, it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the film, hoping against hope that they would succeed. (Maybe the science fiction lobes of my brain were lighting up. Alternative history.) Is it as historically accurate as I think it is?

"Patton" is one of those films that I can watch over and over and still enjoy. Maybe it's the music.

"Patriot," starring Mel Gibson, would rank high on my list.

"Dam Busters" might be of interest only to Kiwi fans, but I certainly enjoyed it; hoping for the modern remake.

And just to inject some silliness: "The Battle of the Five Armies." Let's talk serious history here!

Leave a comment:

• barracudabq
    replied
    Although it's not an option, I think I would choose Lawrence of Arabia. No huge bloody battles but it really gets into the deep matters of warfare in my opinion. Plus it's just an absolute piece of art to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Tumisu
    replied
    I don't understand why The Longest Day is not in the list. This is one of the best war movies ever.

Leave a comment:

• Samuels creek
    replied
    " Bridge too far " was very romantic, great cast, great scenery and amazing score. Failed badly to adequately portray the Germans position. When you think about what was going on the eastern front, the round the clock bombing of the German war machine, the allied effort appears very weak. To be fair, nearly every western movie is guilty of this.

Probably one of the most realistic movies based around war would be 'the odd angry shot" or Oliver Stones "Heaven and Earth".

Leave a comment:

• SouthKorean
    replied
    A bridge too far
    Das Boot
    Come and See
    Stalingrad (the German one, not the Russian)
    Taegukgi (sure the action is Rambo-style, but it at least portrayed the horrors of war somewhat accurately)
    Der Untergang, if it can be called a war film

Leave a comment:

• Ahnuy
    replied
    I'd go with Regeneration. This movie was an awesome insight into the first modern war poets. If anyone is interested in Wilfred Owen or Siegfried Sassoon then you might want to check out this movie. It's a pretty good look into the mental state of the soldiers as well as how they were treated.

Leave a comment:

• USSWisconsin
    replied
    Glory
    Dark Command
    The Undefeated
    Andersonville
    The Man Who Never Was

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Getting ready to go on a week long Civil War tour of the Vicksburg Campaign with a good friend in 2 weeks. Bringing along a DVD player and a stack of DVDs for hanging around the room.

Our selection

The Horse Soldiers
    Fort Apache
    She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
    Rio Bravo
    Major Dundee
    Zulu
    The Longest Day
    Band of Brothers boxed set
    The Pacific boxed set
    Gettysburg

You may see a theme here.

Any suggestions to add to this list?

We'll have about 4 to 5 hours a night to kill.

And even though we will be in some dry counties the Wayback Machine will have ample supplies of beer for consumption in the room.

Leave a comment:

• tankie
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue View Post
    Did you see him in "Second hand lions"? Not convincing as a Texan either, but one my absolute favorite movies!:)
    Aint seen that one ???

Leave a comment:

• tankie
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
    Tora Tora Tora
    Green Zone
    Tora Tora Tora , a good film , I liked A bridge too far , and I was Monties double , that's a film where a pay corp clerk gets to imitate Monty and realise's what its like to be a real soldier :tankie:
    Last edited by tankie; 02 Mar 12,, 21:47.

Leave a comment:

• Elbmek
    replied
    Tora Tora Tora
    Green Zone

Leave a comment:

Working...
X