No announcement yet.

Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zulu has always beenone of my altime favorite movies, theyre all good choices but Zulu had always been above the others.

Comment

• Why is Band of Brothers in the poll? It's not a movie.

Anyway it's just one of the most incredible series productions I've ever seen. It tops any war movie out there, by a mile. Everything about it, from its realism, to its depiction of war, to its story-telling, is just amazing. It’s one of those rare gems that’s produced once in a decade.

Now here’s a list of my favorite war movies in no particular order:
      1. Schindler’s List
      2. Saving Private Ryan
      3. The Thin Red Line
      4. Apocalypse Now
      5. Full Metal Jacket
      6. The Pianist

Probably a few that I've forgotten! :)

Schindler’s List is so powerful that it’s hard to watch. Saving Private Ryan is an all-time classic that makes a strong impact. Some of the scenes and images from the first 30 minutes sticks with you for a very long time!

Thanks,
      Nebula82.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
        Das Boot is another great, I watched it with my grandfather many years ago when I was a kid. It really helped capture that cramped claustrophobic sence of Submarine warfare.
        Oh yes!! I remember. It has been so long since I watched this movie but it was truly superb. The Director’s Cut version is a must-see.

Nebula82.

Comment

• Henry V

Marvelous work by Kenneth Branaugh generally but, of course...the opus that drives men to tears-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Before you throw me out for having weird tastes in movies...:))

A sort of list and no specific order, may not be everyone’s cuppa tea either.

All Quiet on the Western Front
            Zulu
            Das Boot
            Lawrance of Arabia
            The Colonel
            Cross of Iron
            Days Of Glory
            Blessed By Fire
            Beaufort
            The Winter War
            The Odd Angry Shot

Plus a few old old ones, just private likes more than anything else.
            Forty Thousand Horsemen,
            The Rats of Tobruk,
            The Overlanders ( not a war movie as such)

Comment

• Did anyone mention 1941 with John Belushi? I liked Kelly's Heroes too!

Last edited by Blue; 11 Jul 09,, 23:17.

Comment

• Off couse Pearl Harbor!!!The coolest movie!!!
                www.yourattorneysearch.com huge fan

Comment

• Originally posted by crazzycat View Post
                  Off couse Pearl Harbor!!!The coolest movie!!!
                  Nice sense of humor
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Nice sense of humor
                    Agreed, don't know why this garbage is considered in this category.

Comment

• Several others to consider: The Burmese Harp, Grave of the Fireflies (more anti-war are these two films, both Japanese), Ran, the Grand Illusion, and Wings. I suppose the criteria would have to be defined better; strictly about fighting a war, events that coincide with (a specific) war, or movies that involve the military to some degree but not always in a war. The list could be inexhaustible.

Ah 1,550 posts, nice round number to take a break on. :))

Comment

• My favorite movie is the German movie "Stalingrad". Depicts the ferocity and hopelessness of the eastern front in WWII.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazzycat View Post
                          Off couse Pearl Harbor!!!The coolest movie!!!
                          Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Nice sense of humor
                          Just for the record I really was joking. I'll let copycat....er...crazzycat answer for himself!

Comment

• the gallant hours. James Cagney as William Halsey during the battle of Guadalcanal. no action but a good movie about the pressures of command

Das Boot. the undersea hunter

the cruel sea. the hunter of the hunter

my best. Schindlers list

Comment

• Dr. Strangelove and Patton are two other movies I highly recommend!

Patton is a good movie about the man & WWII, but Dr. Strangelove is a cult classic. It’s hilarious, downright hilarious but dark as well. Kubrick takes a subject as serious as the Cold War and turns it into a comedy, but with a potent anti-war message. Don’t rent it, buy it!

Nebula82.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcurix View Post
                                Zulu has always beenone of my altime favorite movies, theyre all good choices but Zulu had always been above the others.

Michael Caine as a welshman was about as convincing as when he played Rob Roy ,, och aye the noo me ol kok sparra ;) , apart from him and the film based on fact , yea a good movie .:)

Comment

Working...
                                X