Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
    Why are they all "american" ? I voted other - and my choice is a blend of british war movies - they tend to be more realistic and depend on a story not a directors "cut".
    Yea ,, and they tend to be low budget garbage as well .

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
      Yea ,, and they tend to be low budget garbage as well .
      So, what your saying is that mega bucks make a mega movie? Not necessarily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
        So, what your saying is that mega bucks make a mega movie? Not necessarily.
        No im not saying that Mike , its just that the british movies leave a lot to the imagination, i saw one where the Germans ( the bad guys ) all rolled up in their vehicles to capture the british plum in mouth speaking escaped soldiers , the vehicles you would have thought would be half tracks , but ohhhh no , they were all ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SARACENS,,,,,,,,,, complete with all the wheels and rolls royce engines and the reme following behind to fix em .... pass the remote . ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
          No im not saying that Mike , its just that the british movies leave a lot to the imagination, i saw one where the Germans ( the bad guys ) all rolled up in their vehicles to capture the british plum in mouth speaking escaped soldiers , the vehicles you would have thought would be half tracks , but ohhhh no , they were all ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SARACENS,,,,,,,,,, complete with all the wheels and rolls royce engines and the reme following behind to fix em .... pass the remote . ;)
          Well, everything in those halcyon days of the 50s Eltree Film Industry was made to measure, we were post war skint you know, spending too much money doing Germany up!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=furkensturker;424141]Gallipoli, came out in the early eighties, the story of a group of young Aussies that "Joined up for an adventure".
            Gallipoli (1981 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was an adventure alright, Churchill made sure of that, the poms landed the Aussies on the wrong beach that is now called ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Army Courp) cove. 7500 Aussies were killed and 20,000 were injured.
            and 2500 Kiwis were also killed
            The English, where possible, would send troops from countries that were under their control, yep you guessed it, that was us, first so as not to loose their own troops. "(better to loose a few thousand orrstralians than our boys, hey what, old chap)"

Don't they teach history in Australia any more? When I was there about 25 years ago, I went to the Australian War Museum in Canberra. The figures shown there told the story. ANZACs lost about 8,000 dead while the British lost about 20,000. I suppose the facts spoil a good bit of Aussie wingeing? Great film but not too hot on the facts. Gallipolli was Churchill's idea but it was messed up by the planning. Just think what D-Day would have been like if the Allies anchored in the Channel for days before and then landed in broad daylight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Bladder View Post

Don't they teach history in Australia any more? When I was there about 25 years ago, I went to the Australian War Museum in Canberra. The figures shown there told the story. ANZACs lost about 8,000 dead while the British lost about 20,000. I suppose the facts spoil a good bit of Aussie wingeing? Great film but not too hot on the facts. Gallipolli was Churchill's idea but it was messed up by the planning. Just think what D-Day would have been like if the Allies anchored in the Channel for days before and then landed in broad daylight.
              Don't confuse them with facts! They have been brain-washed from birth about Gallipoli and won't recognise the truth, no matter how often it's repeated.
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• Hey folks, lots of good titles here. But as war movies (particularly WW2) are a great passion of mine, I'd like to make a few suggestions. ;)

If you like films about WW2 aviation, the two best -- hands down -- are Thunderbolt and Target for Tonight. Both are without paid actors and 100% of the footage is real.

Thunderbolt is particularly breathtaking because it not only covers an obscure AO but is shot in original color. I really can't recommend this film enough. It's the best WW2 gun-camera footage I have ever seen. T for T speaks for itself.

Battle of Britain is a classic, despite its campy cast. But for something more modern, try the similarly themed Dark Blue World, a Czech movie with excellent air combat scenes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Finnish movie Talvisota (you can rent it in the USA under its English title The Winter War.) It's a grueling and bloody movie about a conflict Hollywood will probably never touch.

Burnt by the Sun isn't a war movie strictly speaking, but it's an interesting glimpse into the Russian revolution.

There's also Europa Europa, Empire of the Sun, Sink the Bismarck, A Midnight Clear

If you're interested in Rwanda, the best one I've seen is Shooting Dogs, although it's tough to find it at most movie stores.

But Come and See might get my vote as the best war movie of all time. Saving Private Ryan is an afternoon popcorn-muncher compared to this one (IMO).

Anyway, enough from me for now ... Cheers fellas.

Edit: No one mentioned STALINGRAD !!! This flick easily dethrones the holy Saving Private Ryan/Apocalypse Now/Black Hawk Down trinity.
                Last edited by malory; 18 Mar 08,, 23:53.

Comment

• Malory Reply

"An interesting depiction of Stalingrad is the German 1993 movie "Stalingrad".

My comment from page four of this thread.;)

Burnt By The Sun was a fascinating film. Almost psychedelic.
                  Last edited by S2; 20 Mar 08,, 05:57.
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Fave movie,war or otherwise is Savior
                    Das Boot was pretty good too

The others may be good,but they are too much like...."Havent I seen this before somewhere?"
                    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by malory View Post
                      Hey folks, lots of good titles here. But as war movies (particularly WW2) are a great passion of mine, I'd like to make a few suggestions. ;)

If you like films about WW2 aviation, the two best -- hands down -- are Thunderbolt and Target for Tonight. Both are without paid actors and 100% of the footage is real.

Thunderbolt is particularly breathtaking because it not only covers an obscure AO but is shot in original color. I really can't recommend this film enough. It's the best WW2 gun-camera footage I have ever seen. T for T speaks for itself.

Battle of Britain is a classic, despite its campy cast. But for something more modern, try the similarly themed Dark Blue World, a Czech movie with excellent air combat scenes.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Finnish movie Talvisota (you can rent it in the USA under its English title The Winter War.) It's a grueling and bloody movie about a conflict Hollywood will probably never touch.

Burnt by the Sun isn't a war movie strictly speaking, but it's an interesting glimpse into the Russian revolution.

There's also Europa Europa, Empire of the Sun, Sink the Bismarck, A Midnight Clear

If you're interested in Rwanda, the best one I've seen is Shooting Dogs, although it's tough to find it at most movie stores.

But Come and See might get my vote as the best war movie of all time. Saving Private Ryan is an afternoon popcorn-muncher compared to this one (IMO).

Anyway, enough from me for now ... Cheers fellas.

Edit: No one mentioned STALINGRAD !!! This flick easily dethrones the holy Saving Private Ryan/Apocalypse Now/Black Hawk Down trinity.

Malory,

Great list. Especially pleased to see an Elem Klimov film at the top of the list. Though I haven't seen it, Agonia is one of the great films of its era. I just wish he had made more movies. I'll have to track down that Finnish film. Have some friends from there. A woefully under-reported war.

Also pleased to see Burnt by the Sun on your list. A great example of how a small, personal drama can sometimes illustrate history in a way that big, sweeping dramas sometimes cannot. I openly wept at the end when I realised that the story was not only true, but what the fate of the mother & little girl would be.

Along similar lines, have you seen this one from your native land ?--Derek de Lint filmography--THE ASSAULT--DE AANSLAG--
                      Great storytelling and a brilliant examination of the terrible decisions people are forced to make in time of war.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Oh , the ´Winter War´ deserves definately a spot on the list !
                        If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          Along similar lines, have you seen this one from your native land ?--Derek de Lint filmography--THE ASSAULT--DE AANSLAG--
                          Great storytelling and a brilliant examination of the terrible decisions people are forced to make in time of war.
                          Hmm, no, I haven't. It looks interesting though and I'm headed to the video store tonight so I'll see if they have it. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• The Beast.
                            The Patriot.

Comment

• Originally posted by ofelas View Post
                              The Beast.
                              Glad you've seen it, I love that movie!
                              In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                              The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                                Glad you've seen it, I love that movie!
                                Roger that! I tend to side with righteous underdogs with the courage of their convictions, hence both my picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X