No announcement yet.

Best War Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gallipoli was a buggers muddle but then what in WWI wasn't. The ANZAC's weren't singled out for special treatment, everyone got more than their fair share of chances to die.
    Infantry charges against machine guns in entrenched positions, need I say more.

(mind you, her indoors great uncle was Birdwood, so you could say I am biased)
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

i like the movie twist of fate.

The screenplay is based on the book "Pursuit" by Robert L. Fish, in which the physical descriptions of both von Schraeder and Daniel Grossman show how perfectly Greenwood captured them:

watch it if u wish. u will not be dissapointed by BEN CROSS

Comment

deja-vu

I'm sure we did this a few years ago. Nomatter.

Two that have not been mentioned will follow. I hope this may prove of interest to Glyn as they are both as uncompromising as Das Boot, Apoc. Now; as brutal as Stalingrad and Cross of Iron with the studied cynicism of all the above.

The Beast.
        Soviet tank crew in Afganistan.:(

Permission to kill.
        A cold war none the less ... Smileys People never had it so good

Ashamed to see no mention of Dambusters or Battle of Britain or In Which we Serve etc ...

How about M*A*S*H for the more lefty mob? A mention for The Dear Hunter?

Kagemushe? Hotel Rwanda? March or Die. I'll stop after this:

Saving Private Ryan has a bunch of guys with a top notch sniper run up a hill in broad daylight -frontally, mind - to assault an entrenched position. AND at the end they don't simply blow the bloody bridge. I have many Yank friends. Some from L.A. . None are that f***ing stupid. Blondes included.
        Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

[QUOTE=The Chap;424606]I I hope this may prove of interest to Glyn as they are both as uncompromising as Das Boot, Apoc. Now; as brutal as Stalingrad and Cross of Iron with the studied cynicism of all the above.

Can you mean me? Moi? I am the Wimp of the West these days! 'Onest, guv!:))
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

[QUOTE=furkensturker;424149]Obviously there were no British casualties at all, were there? Oh, hang on a minute - I seem to remember a certain Tommy Atkins scratching his hand on some barbed wire.

So now you're wanting to be a Pom? Last week there was no way you were going to be called a Pom, By the way, how was the trip to Denial? I hear the weather was good, Please share the pics.:))

Freddie
            Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
            vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

[QUOTE=furkensturker;424657]

So now you're wanting to be a Pom? Last week there was no way you were going to be called a Pom,

The truest thing you have ever written.

By the way, how was the trip to Denial?

I only had the briefest of visits, just to see the place. The people there know you well, and wished to be remembered to you.

I hear the weather was good, Please share the pics.:))

You're the one living in Australia. You take the bloody things!:))

Comment

You're the one living in Australia. You take the bloody things!:)) [/QUOTE]

When they come back from the Chemist, I'll put the one with you and Tankie trying to Pick up that trani by the pool up on the net for all to see.

At least you realised before it was too late, poor Tankie, looked a mess next morning.:))
                Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.

Comment

not sure if anyone has mentioned "Gallipolli" with a young Mel Gibson. It really shows the futility of war and highlights how those dastardly English sent all those poor aussies to their deaths whilst they sat and drank tea on their beach.

NB I am not at all serious here except for the futility part highlighted in the movie. And we all know the English, French and Indian troops lost many more in that failed landing. Its a very Australian jingoistic look at that conflict but is still a good movie despite some serious errors in presentation

Top 5 for me
                  Apocalypse Now Redux
                  Das Boot
                  Saving Private Ryan
                  Joyeux Noel
                  M.A.S.H

dastardly english!
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

[QUOTE=ned kelly;464764]

dastardly english

Perfidious Albion!

Comment

• Originally posted by ned kelly View Post
                      not sure if anyone has mentioned "Gallipolli" with a young Mel Gibson. It really shows the futility of war and highlights how those dastardly English sent all those poor aussies to their deaths whilst they sat and drank tea on their beach.

NB I am not at all serious here except for the futility part highlighted in the movie. And we all know the English, French and Indian troops lost many more in that failed landing. Its a very Australian jingoistic look at that conflict but is still a good movie despite some serious errors in presentation

Top 5 for me
                      Apocalypse Now Redux
                      Das Boot
                      Saving Private Ryan
                      Joyeux Noel
                      M.A.S.H

dastardly english!
                      Ah yes, I remember the movie Gallipolli, wasn't that the story of a stuff up by those pomy bastards when they landed the ANZACS on the wrong beach? That's right, they even made the ANZACS do bayonet charges against machine gun pits. We all know that a bayonet will always win against a machine gun. Even Tommy Atkins would agree, don't you think Glyn?:)

But then again, us Australians were used as cannon fodder for years until Blamey told the Poms and the yanks that we were sick of being the forward scout for their wars.

Churchill was the person who sent us into Gallipolli. The Poms have a lot to answer for here. Rabbits, Foxes, blackberrys and lawn bowls

And they wonder why we love to flog them in cricket.

Hurumph, Hurumph.

Freddie

Comment

Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                        Ah yes, I remember the movie Gallipolli, wasn't that the story of a stuff up by those pomy bastards when they landed the ANZACS on the wrong beach? That's right, they even made the ANZACS do bayonet charges against machine gun pits. We all know that a bayonet will always win against a machine gun. Even Tommy Atkins would agree, don't you think Glyn?:)

But then again, us Australians were used as cannon fodder for years until Blamey told the Poms and the yanks that we were sick of being the forward scout for their wars.

Churchill was the person who sent us into Gallipolli. The Poms have a lot to answer for here. Rabbits, Foxes, blackberrys and lawn bowls

And they wonder why we love to flog them in cricket.

Freddie baby! I think you need to clean up those chips on your sloping shoulders.:) With all that Kookaburra dropping and Koala crap you have become unbalanced/unstable/unguided. I worry for you.

Hurumph, Hurumph.

Freddie

Comment

• You didnt mention Brotherhood of war which is my favourit, im strongly suggesting it. It is about the Korean war

Comment

• I voted "other" - "Apocalypse Now"; I've seen both the original and redux. IMHO, the original is better; the "added" scenes in redux seem rather extraneous (except for the scene where Willard stole Colonel Kilgore's surfboard; that was hilarious!).

Second place goes to "Blackhawk Down", if for no other reason than they portray Delta in a favorable light, especially towards the end.
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Best war movies

Mine, in no particular order:

1. Apocalypse Now
                              2. Full Metal Jacket
                              3. Saving Private Ryan
                              4. Stalag 17
                              5. The Bridge on the River Kwai
                              6. The Great Escape
                              7. The Longest Day
                              8. The Big Red One
                              9. Kelly's Heroes
                              10. Schindler's List

Comment

• Why are they all "american" ? I voted other - and my choice is a blend of british war movies - they tend to be more realistic and depend on a story not a directors "cut".

Comment

Working...
                                X