Patton
    Apocalypse Now
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Black Hawk Down
    Gettysburg
    Last edited by BudW; 21 Mar 07,, 01:30.

Comment

Good list BudW.
      Not enough of them to put on the list. That is the problem.

Another movie that should be seriously considered as a 'great' is "Operation Crossbow". The test flying and manufacture and ultimate destruction of the German flying bombs.

Also "The Heros of Telmark". Destruction of Germany's heavy water plant in Norway.
      And "Dunkirk", was one of the great too. With John Mills.

Comment

I really liked Das Boot, however I decided to vote for Band of Brothers, because I thought that was extremely well done, not just the fighting scenes but in portraying the "band of brothers" that becomes of men in war.

Comment

20th Century theme not neccessarily in this order:
          -------------------------------------------------------
          Guns of Navarone
          The Great Escape
          Bridge on the River Kwai
          The longest Day
          Tora Tora Tora
          Where Eagles Dare
          The Dirty Dozen
          Lawrance of Arabia
          Operation Pettycoat
          Das Boot
          Von Ryan's Express
          The one that got away
          Blue Max
          Stalag 17

Historical war movies, off the top of my head
          --------------------------------
          Cleopatra(Naval battle Scene)
          Ben Hur( Naval battle Scene)
          El Cid
          Helen of Troy

My all time favorite is of course "The Duck Soup".
          Last edited by saambaarblast; 21 Mar 07,, 04:57.

Comment

Unfortunately Band of Brothers is not a movie. Otherwise it'd be right up at the top. As far as movie, Platoon and Uprising are my favorite.
            In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
            The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Well Stan it is a movie made for TV and not the cinema, but it's a movie.
              Few would disagree when I say it is the best ever Canmoore. It tops my list too.

Hmmm Saam, you pulled the rug out from under us with Lawrence of Arabia.
              How could I forget it? Absolutely marvelous. Brilliant. Unforgetable.

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                yes, 101. I agree, the next generation should learn and know. But not by biased movies (generally-speaking), rather by reading and reading and reading.
                You know reading materials can be biased too.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by 101st Airborne View Post
                  12 Oclock High. Yes I loved the start when the adjutant rode to the weed infested strip on his bicycle and remembered.
                  Absolutely. What a great way to start and end the movie. The nostalgia he felt as an old man, even for a terrible period in his life, is so poignant, it hurts the heart to feel it with him. Leaving that artifact - the masked raider ceramic mug, that meant there was a mission tomorrow, if it faced into the room, instead of the wall - facing the viewer, is so symbolic of what they - those unbelievably brave young men - gave us: another tomorrow, another mission.

In my mind, that mug is still there, at the old bomber base. Because we're still HERE, in charge of what was bequeathed to us by them. And it's facing us, because it's OUR mission tomorrow.

Comment

Few would disagree when I say it is the best ever Canmoore. It tops my list too.

Hmmm Saam, you pulled the rug out from under us with Lawrence of Arabia.
                    How could I forget it? Absolutely marvelous. Brilliant. Unforgetable.
                    Landmark performances by the cast members(Peter O'Toole, Alec Guiness, Omar Sheriff) . Excellent directing(David Lean). Spectacular photography(Freddie Young). Standout score(Maurice Jarre). One can't go wrong with this choice.

Comment

Our mission tomorrow

Great post Bluesman. I couldn't have put it better.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I couldn't believe it when Hollywood announced it was going to make a film called @Memphis Belle'. What were these cretins thinking of ?(OK, I know the answer, MONEY!) The original shot by William Wyler used actual footage and real people, not actors. It is one of my favourite WW2 colour films. The other is 'Night Bomber' showing the RAFs contribution to pounding the Reich. The two films complement each other admirably.
                        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

No, it is not. A mini-series is not a movie made for TV, it is a mini-series. I don't know how much more clear that has to be to become crystal.
                          In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                          The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Not sure what point you are making about 'Memphis Belle' Glyn.

Comment

Not sure what point you are making about 'Memphis Belle' Glyn.
                              William Wilder made the documentary film called 'Memphis Belle' in England during WW2, which recorded the first crew to achieve 25 bombing missions. The film is superb. It stands on its own merits. There was no need to make a modern 'movie' when the original is still in existance. One is real, and everything you see in it is genuine. I have my own copy.The other is not, and I wouldn't waste my time by watching it.
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

The crew of the Memphis Belle 1943

I guess I could see why you are cynical about Hollwood's version.
                                Personally I loved it and have watched it many times for just pure entertainment.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X