No announcement yet.

I took the plunge again but need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took the plunge again but need help.

Decided that I am jumping back into model building.

But need some help.

There are no model shops withing 100 miles of here. I have a few (10) old models that haven't been built but need glue, paint and other essentials.

Have a local Hobby Lobby but about the only model paints they carry are for cars.

What I am looking for are good, reliable on line stores that i can order materials from.

One for paints and Evergreen/Plastistrut stock (are they are still in Business?).

I think I'll do a few ships and armor models

Also, being an old guy, I'm not very comfortable using my Visa card for on line purchases. Are there any problems with using prepaid visas (like you get at Wally World) for on line purchases? Someone told me that a lot of on line stores don't accept them.

Oh yea. Decided to do an easy model first. Wife got me the Revell Wright
    Flyer. OMG its the same 1950s molding in a different package

Part numbers and right/left markings molded on the parts. Release pin marks all over the place.

Started fixing things but then decided that I would just have fun with this build. Wait till I get back in practice before I start obsessing over details like I use to.

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Decided that I am jumping back into model building.

But need some help.

There are no model shops withing 100 miles of here. I have a few (10) old models that haven't been built but need glue, paint and other essentials.

Have a local Hobby Lobby but about the only model paints they carry are for cars.

What I am looking for are good, reliable on line stores that i can order materials from.

One for paints and Evergreen/Plastistrut stock (are they are still in Business?).

I think I'll do a few ships and armor models

Also, being an old guy, I'm not very comfortable using my Visa card for on line purchases. Are there any problems with using prepaid visas (like you get at Wally World) for on line purchases? Someone told me that a lot of on line stores don't accept them.

Oh yea. Decided to do an easy model first. Wife got me the Revell Wright
    Flyer. OMG its the same 1950s molding in a different package

Part numbers and right/left markings molded on the parts. Release pin marks all over the place.

Started fixing things but then decided that I would just have fun with this build. Wait till I get back in practice before I start obsessing over details like I use to.
    I haven't bought from them online, but I used to deal with Squadron Mail Order (of Squadron/Signal Publications). They always had a great selection, and competitive prices on most items.
    http://www.squadron.com/

What I do, generally, to avoid using credit cards online is this:
    I make an online order, fill my cart, go almost completely through the checkout process, print two copies of the final cart order, then cancel the order. One copy of the printout gets filed, the other goes in an envelope with a check for payment. I have not yet had a problem with this method.

Comment

Seeing as most online stores accept paypal as well, you could try using that. As for paints, I haven't looked lately. I have a local shop that usually covers all my needs. You should probably email nord about it if you want an expert opinion.

Comment

Your one stop shopping place!

http://www.testors.com/

When using their paints, I also stick to their thinners. They appear to work well together.They have the correct matt finish paints you need for military stuff too! Have fun:))

Comment

Grape,
          I'm of the older school as well and dont use my credit card for the internet. No garenteed security thus far but I do use a system called "pay-pal" its an older system and I havent used it much but it is reliable for purchases via the net and good security. I have a bunch of older models I put away long ago for when I find time. Unfortunately that time has yet to present itself. Maybe in the New Year. Good Luck.:)
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I thought Gun Grape is getting married again. I thought wow, Mrs. Grape must be a very understanding woman...
            Last edited by gunnut; 03 Jan 09,, 23:30.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

gentlemen Thanks.

The son got a membership to "Club Penguin" for christmas and has been hogging the computer for the last couple of days.

TJ- I loved model master enamel pants when they first came out. But their acrylics didn't like my airbrush. Tamiya acrylics worked great though.

Gunnut - 2 wives? Good God man. I'm not a glutton for punishment. But I have thought about trying to talk the wife into sending for a 18yr old Philipino
              girl. As a maid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                gentlemen Thanks.

The son got a membership to "Club Penguin" for christmas and has been hogging the computer for the last couple of days.

TJ- I loved model master enamel pants when they first came out. But their acrylics didn't like my airbrush. Tamiya acrylics worked great though.

Gunnut - 2 wives? Good God man. I'm not a glutton for punishment. But I have thought about trying to talk the wife into sending for a 18yr old Philipino
                girl. As a maid.
                :))
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Tamiya models are by far the best, Revell is ancient as is Airfix.

Comment

Gun Grape, you might also want to check out the following sites: Sprue Brothers, Free Time Hobbies, Mega Hobby. All three have great web sites, comprehensive, real time inventory, prompt shipping and excellent customer service. I have bought some stuff from Squadron over the years, but I find their shipping can be on the slow side compared to the sites I named, if that matters to you. I'm an older guy myself and after some resolving some reservations by asking around on the various forums I frequent, set up a paypal account to take care of my orders. Never had a problem and most of our vendors do take paypal.

Hope this helps some.

Bob

Comment

Wow....a necro

Not just ANY necro but in Gunny's thread even!

Welcome to the forum, newbie....damn, you got cojones...

Comment

Being a newb here I've obviously missed something. I hope I've not committed a social faux pas with my post. Ok, I'll bite, what is a "necro"? And the signifcance of being a "necro" in Gunny's thread? If I have sined, may I be forgiven.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by robtmelvin View Post
                          Being a newb here I've obviously missed something. I hope I've not committed a social faux pas with my post. Ok, I'll bite, what is a "necro"? And the signifcance of being a "necro" in Gunny's thread? If I have sined, may I be forgiven.

Bob
                          Note the date of the last post before yours. 2.5 years. It's a dead thread, hence, 'necropost.' Necroposts are generally frowned upon, unless you have a good reason for reviving a discussion- new developments, etc. In this case, for example, it's highly doubtful that Gun Grape is still in need of advice on where to get modeling supplies. Also, Gunny hates necroposts with unusual passion.

Anyway. Welcome to WAB. To avoid such faux pas, it would be a good idea to read the Forum Guidelines and the "Unofficial Survival Guide" threads, both of which are easily accessible at the top of the Member Introductions sub-forum, where we highly encourage you to post an introduction thread wherein you tell us as much about yourself as you want and various members can welcome you and then derail the thread into a discussion of butter cookies and booze.
                          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

LoL...

Nah, melvin, you didn't commit any sins.

Just a lttle rookie hazing we sadistic members like to make the newbies endure.

And the Gunny (Gungrape) is our unofficial necro cop. Necros being defined as any threads that are dormant for over 6 months that are brought back to life. :)

Comment

LOL. Haze away. I've paid my dues arguing with the rivet counters over on modelwarships.com! Arguments about the importance to most of us that our radar arrays be exactly right for the 31st day of April, 1940whatever (yes, I know there has never been an April 31, I just use that to illustrate the point). I profess the heresy that for most of us this is a hobby and something we do for fun. If you idea of fun is obsessing over minute details, more power to you. But it isn't mine, and I suspect that goes for a large number of the members of that forum, and perhaps this one as well - I haven't been here long enough to form an opinion on that. I also argue that it is my money that bought a particular kit I'm building, and my time in building it. Thought I may not get the number of rivets or the radar array exactly right, or even employ some artistic license in the camouflage scheme used, it if makes me happy that is good enough. Also, I don't display my builds in museums, but rather in my office. I've yet to have a client say "Bob, your radar on the U.S.S. Laffey isn't right for the night she was sunk!" As to resurrecting a dormant thread, mea culpa. Didn't pay enough attention to the dates.

I'm still very much looking foward to being a participant here and I hope I can bring something positive to the table.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X