Vote for your favorite WWII aircraft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C-47D DAKOTA

Undoubtedly the most historic and classic aircraft.
    It is a twin engine cargo aircraft.
    The airplane was adapted from the DC-3 commercial airplane which appeared in 1936.
    The main mission of the C-47D was carrying personnel and cargo and in a combat role dropping paratroops and supplies into enemy territory. The first C-47s were ordered in 1940 and played a pivotal role in WWII. After the conflict, many C-47s remained in USAF service participating in several important missons, such as the Berlin airlift in 1947 and the Korean War.
    Hellenic(Greek) C-47s had a vital contribution in the heroic efforts of the Hellenic troops during the Korean War, and in the Hellenic Air Force as a whole. They are currently baed in Thessaloniki Combat Wing Air Force Base.
    They wear the four-color "Vietnam" camouflage.

Comment

Originally posted by osplant View Post
      C-47D DAKOTA

Undoubtedly the most historic and classic aircraft.
      It is a twin engine cargo aircraft.
      The airplane was adapted from the DC-3 commercial airplane which appeared in 1936.
      The main mission of the C-47D was carrying personnel and cargo and in a combat role dropping paratroops and supplies into enemy territory. The first C-47s were ordered in 1940 and played a pivotal role in WWII. After the conflict, many C-47s remained in USAF service participating in several important missons, such as the Berlin airlift in 1947 and the Korean War.
      Hellenic(Greek) C-47s had a vital contribution in the heroic efforts of the Hellenic troops during the Korean War, and in the Hellenic Air Force as a whole. They are currently baed in Thessaloniki Combat Wing Air Force Base.
      They wear the four-color "Vietnam" camouflage.
      If you like the C-47, I've got a link for you:

WW2DB: C-47 Skytrain

There are some nice pics of WW2-period and current period of C-47, such as photos of a C-47 on display at Aerospace Museum in Utah, United States. The color photo of 101st Airborne Division paratrooper standing at the door of a C-47 is also very nice. Check it out!
      Pete

Comment

Thank you.
        I would prefer some pictures or documents from Berlin Airlift in 1947.C-47s role in imposing the peace and the win of our free world in those days, indeed was great and effective.

Comment

Originally posted by nochanda View Post
          C47 - simply because it is related to C130 which according to stories is fieldhardy and volatile

Duhhhh. Gosh. Thank you.

And thanks to the other person that respects his stumble-fingered elders.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I had to go with WTF's FW-190.

Nice work indeed.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
              I had to go with WTF's FW-190.

Nice work indeed.

-dale
              Very honorable of you to vote for an opposing candidate :)
              Pete

Comment

All the models are nice but for some reason I really like hobogeo's B-29 Superfortress. Even unfinished and sitting on a box it looks damn nasty!
                Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Thanks for the nomination ironduke,but as i said before the model shown(by mistake, wrong thread)was from the korean war.My vote is for the P47 razor Back,very nice job for the small scale. hobogeo

Comment

B-29 Ended WW ll and saved my hide!

I was anchored in Buckner Bay, Naha, Okinawa and was set up to participate in the invasion of Japan.
                    I believe the Atom bombs saved a large number of lives of both sides and untold servicemen lives which I and my family are quite thankful.
                    Hamp
                    USS LCI (L) & (G) 450
                    WW ll Gator Navy

Comment

Beautiful job on the Fw, like the rusty details.Hats of on Dale's work considering the scale it must have taken a good magnifing glass for the detailing.Had to go with the Focke , it's my favourite fighter.
                      ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                        WTFox gets it on the detail and the photography.:)

Agreed Mr. Lukins, my vote goes that way as well.
                        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

After a week of voting, WhiskeyTangoFox has won this contest. Congratulations, and thank you to the other members for submitting their work. A variety of submissions definitely makes for a more interesting contest. :)
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Congrats WhiskeyTangoFox, and great job once again!
                            Pete

Comment

If WhiskeyTango Foxtrot IAW radio phonetics may stand for WTF(What the ****) then this common expression of confusion or bewilderment cannot downgrade the significant role of WWII aircraft.
                              __________________________________________________ _______________
                              No culture can survive if claims that is exclusive

Comment

Congrats everyone and WTF in particular.

-dale

Comment

Working...
                                X