No announcement yet.

5th WAB Modelers Contest: Naval Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear. I don't have any ship models anymore. But a friend of mine is really into them. He also used to work for me in the Shipyard on the Battleship reactivations (was also an apprentice gunsmith in one of the gunshops I was part owner of). He really likes model ships. LOTS of them.

His highly detailed Scharnhorst hull with the portholes molded into the fiberglass; 1:100 scale.
    Attached Files
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Props and rudders on his New Jersey; 1:96 scale
      Attached Files

Comment

Lee with his New Jersey model he has been working on for nearly 30 years. He keeps running into other ships with it (a model airplane club over-rode his frequency and it sunk another ship by ramming) and a catbird did a Kamikazi run on it taking out the foremast.
        Attached Files

Comment

A Burke class DD he is building up.
          Attached Files

Comment

If you really want to take control of the pond, finish up this Nimitz hull that's over 11 feet long.
            Attached Files

Comment

If you want any of his 1:96, 1:100 or 1:48 hulls, you can find his website under the Scale Shipyard.

Yeah, I know. This is sort of some free advertising for him. But I'm envious of his patience, skill, he's a good friend of mine, one of my Battleship inspectors and I have the keys to his shop.
              Attached Files

Comment

I know what I've shown will disqualify me for any voting. But you guys wanted to see ship models. Well, there you have them. If you are into big models, contact Lee Upshaw. Hel'l be more than glad to supply you with a hull and his custom resin-cast fittings or weapons.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                  Excellent work. If I am not mistaken its painted in wartime color. What was the peacetime color, if there was one?
                  The IJN did not have a peacetime color for their ships (When Musashi was commissioned the war where already on) But the Navy used 4 shades of grey one of each navy yard (Kure, Sasebo, Maizuru and Yokosuka) they are different, but in my opinion very close to each other, also bare in mind the effect of sun and sea etc. So I have used Humbrol # Matt 27 -it is spot on as Kure Naval Grey with the small tint of blue in it.:)
                  Regards Lars
                  aeronautic.dk

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    Shamus,

They're plastic models, not bottles of scotch.
                    Dream bubble burst...mouth drying up...Damn!!

Comment

Excellent builds Rusty. I have one in building but havent had much time for her. Perhaps next round or two.:)
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by aeronautic View Post
                        The IJN did not have a peacetime color for their ships (When Musashi was commissioned the war where already on) But the Navy used 4 shades of grey one of each navy yard (Kure, Sasebo, Maizuru and Yokosuka) they are different, but in my opinion very close to each other, also bare in mind the effect of sun and sea etc. So I have used Humbrol # Matt 27 -it is spot on as Kure Naval Grey with the small tint of blue in it.:)
                        Thanks for the reply. I admire your skills (and perhaps envy them a little). :)
                        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Gorgeous stuff guys. I don't have a dog in this hunt - my only ships are designed for movie-screen vacuum. ;)

-dale

Comment

As soon as I get my camera back, I shall submit "HMS Tanquray". Made of polystyrene packing and carved by kitchen knife, she is held together by toothpicks, carries one bottle of gin, one of tonic; in place of fore and aft turrets she boasts two ashtrays. Her four funnels consist of tallboy glasses cooled by a bed of crushed ice.

Although a little broad abeam she has pretty lines and sports twin lighters.

And the white ensign!

Her home port is my garden frame pool but due to inclement UK whether/weather has rarely put out to date.
                            Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chap View Post
                              As soon as I get my camera back, I shall submit "HMS Tanquray". Made of polystyrene packing and carved by kitchen knife, she is held together by toothpicks, carries one bottle of gin, one of tonic; in place of fore and aft turrets she boasts two ashtrays. Her four funnels consist of tallboy glasses cooled by a bed of crushed ice.
                              WHAT? NO VODKA?

Comment

No Vodka?

No. No vodka. Although I would strongly suggest that you guzzle at least half a bottle before you view my submission
                                Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Working...
                                X