No announcement yet.

General Patton info request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally getting some time to work on this model again (1 year break... )

I am struggling with two versions of Patton's boots -

Boot 1 (side view Motorcycle boot) from this source

Patton (1970), General Patton Boots, other replicas

And the same pic as suggested by Rusty Battleship - boot 2 from this source

MotorCowboy's Store Policy :: George Patton Cavalry Boots Riding, motor patrol

Any help choosing the more realistic would be appreciated - the detailing differences are small but extremely important.

Many thanks if you bother replying. :)
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by execrable View Post
      Finally getting some time to work on this model again (1 year break... )

I am struggling with two versions of Patton's boots -

Boot 1 (side view Motorcycle boot) from this source

Patton (1970), General Patton Boots, other replicas

And the same pic as suggested by Rusty Battleship - boot 2 from this source

MotorCowboy's Store Policy :: George Patton Cavalry Boots Riding, motor patrol

Any help choosing the more realistic would be appreciated - the detailing differences are small but extremely important.

Many thanks if you bother replying. :)
      Researching some photos on the Internet, I ran across what I think you are looking for. The overall photo is the group picture, then I cropped it and touched it up a bit for contrast on his boots.

Therefore, at least when THIS picture was taken, he was wearing cavalry/motorcycle boots with the SMALL buckles.
      Attached Files
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Just for the heck of it, I copied this other photo of Patton wearing tall Cavalry boots. The OLD kind that civilian surveyors and explorers used to wear as well.

They lace all the way up in front with (believe it or not) a SINGLE shoe lace. They are time consuming to do so as I have a pair. But they are great boots for day long survey work (as I did on my land in Oregon) as they give EXCELLENT calf support and the legs do not tire as easily.
        Attached Files

Comment

The US has indeed been blessed with outstanding leadership from the General Officer Corps since before Washington.

Definitely see the Patton Museum if in the Ft. Knox area. My favourite part was his Cadillac.

The General's style of boots are called cavalry boots or cav boots and are actual horse riding boots although they have a similar appearance to leggings.

While his pistols & boots were more or less custom made, like those of many gentlemen in his day, Patton's style of boots are on sale through the danner company & others and many US Army Cavalry officers wore them in black and now in buck. I find them beautiful but excessive for my personal taste. They retail at c.1200 USD.

I found a pair of 10" black tanker boots in size 12 1/2 W at the surplus store next to Zion's near the Radcliffe gate. For only ten dollars they were a great find even though I take a thirteen regularly. They polished up great. Now I'll be in the market for a pair of buck tanker boots for ACU wear, although I understand a comfortable pair is hard to come by.

Nice work on your replicas by the way. I believe that similar boots to the General's are still sported by the Corps of Cadets of Texas A & M, who wear WWII spec uniforms. No one will soon forget the image of them marching in khakis with cavalry boots in President Bush's Inaugural Parade 21 January 2001, in the rain, or in whites at Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The cadets there take much pride in being afforded the honour of buying those boots which they cannot wear upon commissioning & cost more than any Army spec boot. That's a fair measure of their Esprit de Corps. I went through NALC & MOBC with Texas A & M cadets and they gained my highest respect. Are there any Aggies out there who could comment further on the state of the boots in question ?
          Last edited by Ryan Bailey; 08 May 08,, 01:38.
          "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            Researching some photos on the Internet, I ran across what I think you are looking for. The overall photo is the group picture, then I cropped it and touched it up a bit for contrast on his boots.

Therefore, at least when THIS picture was taken, he was wearing cavalry/motorcycle boots with the SMALL buckles.
            Rusty. you are a true gentleman. That picture is invaluable but it leaves me with yet more quandries - the smaller buckles on the boots you kindly linked are further spaced apart than the replica boots I linked!

I'm remodeling the boots based on your pictures - but I'm beginning to wonder if he had a variety of boots, and at different times. I really don't want to complete the model and then someone rubbish it because he has the wrong boots on. Basically the model is based upon when he is a 3 star general so I'll keep a close eye out on all 3-star pictures.

Thank you once again for your contribution!

Comment

Originally posted by execrable View Post
              Rusty. you are a true gentleman. That picture is invaluable but it leaves me with yet more quandries - the smaller buckles on the boots you kindly linked are further spaced apart than the replica boots I linked!

I'm remodeling the boots based on your pictures - but I'm beginning to wonder if he had a variety of boots, and at different times. I really don't want to complete the model and then someone rubbish it because he has the wrong boots on. Basically the model is based upon when he is a 3 star general so I'll keep a close eye out on all 3-star pictures.

Thank you once again for your contribution!
              Yes, I noticed not only was the spacing further apart but the top buckle was higher than the "replica" boots. Also, the buckles don't seem to be directly on the outside but about an inch forward.

Patton was a very vane man and probably had at least half a dozen pairs at any one time and probably many more overall. I have also seen a photo of him, posed with a bunch of other officers, where he was wearing standard paratrooper boots.

So, depending upon the occassion he must have had a foot locker full of boots and low-quarters to choose from.

So my suggestion for a reply to anybody who criticizes the accuracy of the boots, just tell him you modeled them after his Monty meeting boots instead of his parade boots, motorcycle riding boots, horse riding leggins or mud stomping boots as he probably had enough varieties to open a shoe store of his own.

Comment

Post pic when your done please

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  --snip-- just tell him you modeled them after his Monty meeting boots instead of his parade boots, motorcycle riding boots, horse riding leggins or mud stomping boots as he probably had enough varieties to open a shoe store of his own.
                  :))

Originally posted by BudW View Post
                  Post pic when your done please
                  I'm going to take a step back and post the modeling drawings first for approval and accuracy. I have a few currently but not enough - probably because I'm so uncertain of a particular outfit to work from.

So if you are both willing to be critical judges I would ask you check back in a week or so (hopefully before) when I get some drawings uploaded.

Comment

I came across some images on the Getty website -

Getty Images of General Patton

I want to use these as source, he's been photographed from various angles and it's the largest base of similar images of Patton I've found. Unfortunately having started (nearly completed) his riding boots - he's not wearing them here. They look more like standard military issue which makes life easier and he's not wearing riding type trousers (cavalry issue?)

Anyhow, first of a series of drawings to get the style and impact I want for the wax model. Feedback would be appreciated - I think his helmet looks wrong though, reminds me of a British policeman's helmet!
                    Attached Files

Comment

This image is based upon various views (and I stole some detailing from a later picture on another website) but I am happy with the pose.

I'm hoping to base the model on the Normandy pictures where Patton met with various war correspondents.

Off home to do some more drawings based on this pose. However, I'm unlcear on the detailing and accurate design of the stars and the "U.S." badge on the collar and shirst collar so have drawn those in if anyone can guide me to better source images I would be most grateful.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by execrable; 21 May 08,, 18:39. Reason: Images the wrong way around

Comment

Patton and his Bull Terrier "Willie". Note that Patton is wearing standard army boots (we called them Paratrooper boots then).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow does he ever look mean there!

OK, standard paratrooper boots? The pose is brilliant but I've not seen that helmet before so am sticking with the Normandy uniform posted above. I'll use that image and the other boots the others around him are wearing for reference. Will post some modeling drawings later this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                          X